Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
automattox

how long does it take after eating something to break out?

I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I'm eating that might be causing breakouts, but I don't really know how long after eating something I might start to break out. is it like a couple weeks or a couple days or what?

Im wondering this too!

I ate a subway sandwich and im hoping I don't break out.

1 day or 2 . try to maintain your normal diet . do not change anything ..then only you add on the foods that you think is the main cause that you break out . for me eggs make me break out one egg = 2 pimples but the next day i tried again . yup the same stupid damn problem happen ...so i stop eating eggs and puff no breakout

Remember acne is a gradient and a series of stages

microcomedos--->comedones-->papules or nodules-->pustules or cysts

Microcomedones are invisible to the eyes and are often granular. Unless you carefully inspect them, you will never notice them. Comedones are sometimes are hard to notice also if you don't have a good mirror. Most people aren't aware of these pre-existing lesions.

When you eat some shitty but tasty food, you can cause unnoticeable uninflammatory acne develop to later stages such as papules. Who knows, you also might encourage the development of microcomedones.

That's how I view it. Who knows? You know spots that keep coming back in the same place? The clogged pore is there, invisible, but awaiting to blow up into a mastermind of pain any second.

well I've been keeping a log of everything I eat since I started Dan's Regimen, but I can't seem to pinpoint anything specific that breaks me out. I started with thing I know commonly break people out like dairy or fast food or whatever, but days later I don't break out... I don't know, maybe it's just the regimen?

for me it's usually with in a few hours or next morning. emotional factors play just as big as role as physically factors. i heard Louise hay says acne is caused by repressing your anger and not speaking up for how you feel. anger gets stored in your kidneys, which effects your skin.

yes, food is big but it all works together.. you could eat perfect but if your mind is causing stress to your body your going to break out.

It takes exactly 80 hours. This is because it takes 24 hours to have it go through the system. Then it takes another 24 hours to reach the skin. Then it takes exactly 24 hours to think what it should do to the skin. Then it take 8 hours to gather themselves to form a pimple.

24+24+24+8 = 80 hours

Sarcasm

I think it depends on the individual person, because everybody's bodies don't work exactly the same, and the food being eaten. If I eat something bad, but not sugary or really bad, I'll break out a day or two later. If I eat really bad sugary foods like any sweets, inflammation on any existing pimples will increase and new ones will start to form within eight hours, continuing on for a few days. That's just me, though. Writing down what you eat and when you break out is a good way to keep track of how long it will take and what foods exactly give you problems.

I think it depends on the individual person, because everybody's bodies don't work exactly the same, and the food being eaten. If I eat something bad, but not sugary or really bad, I'll break out a day or two later. If I eat really bad sugary foods like any sweets, inflammation on any existing pimples will increase and new ones will start to form within eight hours, continuing on for a few days. That's just me, though. Writing down what you eat and when you break out is a good way to keep track of how long it will take and what foods exactly give you problems.

Bingo. If you could be pedantic enough to keep a diary you'd start to get to know ur skin very well.

Stress is huge by the way. In July I decided to pause college, and it took me until recently to get out of my crappy job into a well-paying, more hours/week, better work, job. It was very stressful and my face is showing it, even though my diet has been very good.

well I've been keeping a log of everything I eat since I started Dan's Regimen, but I can't seem to pinpoint anything specific that breaks me out. I started with thing I know commonly break people out like dairy or fast food or whatever, but days later I don't break out... I don't know, maybe it's just the regimen?

Exactly... If you are using BP and it's working for you, it is reducing the breakouts you would be getting, which could be caused by certain foods.

I have always been told that it takes 2-3 weeks for pimples to form. Is this just another myth? Im also trying to decide if diet is affecting my acne, but i think it's just causing me more stress

Varies with the reasons the food is causing a breakout. Allergies in which the reaction directly causes a pimple of some sort, it could be hours.

Often, when it's just crappy food, not some food intolerance, it takes a steady diet of it to lead to imbalanced hormones which leads to oily skin which leads acne. But that's just one pathway.

Eating inflammatory foods or something you have an intolerance for which makes it highly inflammatory food can cause uninflamed microcomedones or whatever to become inflamed. Perhaps quickly.

For me, I get cysts from citrus by the next day. But otherwise, nothing directly causes me to break out. It requires a steady diet of crap. I had visitors for the month of January during which is was hard to eat as well as I normally do, and my skin and hair started to get oilier. And it's taken about a month for it to go back to what has been normal since I started improving my diet.

Can acne be the only sign of a food allergy, or do you need to swell up or get hives to know if you have certain food allergies?

Can acne be the only sign of a food allergy, or do you need to swell up or get hives to know if you have certain food allergies?

There are so many different kinds of food allergies, some are just reactions that your body has to foods, for example meat makes some people tired. This is mild, as some people's throat will close up with nuts and nut butters. I know someone who gets a facial rash from nut butters.

A good way to figure out food sensitivities is to decide what you want to test, jot down or remember how you feel BEFORE eating the food, and then record any reactions post-prandially (which means after the meal).

You could also get allergy testing done, but honestly I have figured out many intolerances and learned a lot about my own body and system thru my own methods of careful trial and error.

Everything in moderation! Too much of anything is not good.

No you don't need to swell up or get hives or even have any noticeable reaction. Allergies and intolerances can just be making you feel bad, bloated, headachy, fatigued, whatever.

I am 100 percent sure now, after many years of trying to figure things out, that food allergies are the cause of my acne. It was hard to figure out when dermatologists I would see kept telling me that it was not possible and just prescribed me various retinoids and even pills. The way I finally was able to prove it and get a grasp on it was to go to an allergist and have a food allergy test completed, along with a skin reaction panel.

Turned out I was allergic to a ton of different foods. Shellfish, nuts and tree nuts, eggs, whey, multiple fruits, just to name a few. Each type of food causes me to break out in different places and take different amounts of time to show up on my skin. Some take 1 day, some can take up to 2 or 3. If I eat multiple examples of any of the aforementioned food at the same time, well then things go downhill fast. I miss certain foods a lot, no doubt, but it has been worth it to get clear. At least I have my self esteem back, even if I did have to pretty much give up baked goods of all kinds and sometimes even have dreams where I'm binge eating frosting.

My suggestion (if you have health insurance or money is not a factor) is to get an allergy test done. Once you have a list of foods you are allergic to, you can conduct your own "tests" and see which of those foods cause reactions that manifest as acne, and which don't. Helped me a lot!

I don't break out anymore but this was exactly my pattern, too. My son as well.....

body takes 4 days to cycle anything you put in it

That's not true if you have leaky gut. If you have leaky gut, the undigested food particle goes directly into the bloodstream from the small intestine and the body assumes it's a foreign invader, setting off an allergic reaction. This does not take 4 days to occur.

Fruit only takes 20 minutes or so to digest...it depends on the food, the protein involved, and other factors.