Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oyku

Going on Accutane in 2 weeks. HELP PLEASE~!~!

Let me first say...the community at acne.org, the staff, supporters, members, etc are ALL great. I find this site a great refuge for us, acne sufferers, who have or still struggling the treacherous fight.

I am 24 years old, male and I've had acne for 8 years now (and still do), starting from the age of 16. I know exactly how it feels to have acne and the psychological and emotional effects it has on a person. I have tried nearly everything possible to clear my skin. Every possible product at CVS, proactiv, Murad, AcneClear, AcneFree, mud masks, peels, exfoliants...EVERYTHING. I have even tried home remedies such as Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda and even Urine Therapy...yes, URINE...you can tell how desparate I was. I've even done acupuncture, acupressure, parasite cleanses, liver flushes, colon cleanses, THE WORKS!

Oh, I eat healthy as hell, I work out nearly everyday, and get good sleep.

My acne was always severe when it did hit...there would be however few months when I would be somewhat light side of acne and it would come back and hit my with vengeance like it did so recently when I picked up a new job =( It got some bad that I was in tears from the agony and thought that I would never have clear skin. It's a sad image for a grown man to cry.

This was when my sister said, "Enough is enough. We are going to the dermatologist!".

So it begins, my doctor prescribed me with Accutane, which I'll be starting in 2 weeks. He put my on doxycycline for 2 weeks to calm my current infalmed cysts/acne and after my blood tests, he said I will start a 6 month cycle at 10mg or 20mg of Accutane and eventually toward my latter months, my dose will be increased up to 90mg/100mg due to my weight/size. ( I am 5' 10"/ 175lbs).

I've read several accutane posts and it seems that most people stay on a 40mg then 80mg regimen, I wonder why mine is different. The doc also said that I will most likely have an initial breakout during the first two months and after that I will start seeing dramatic results.

Please tell me what I can expect. I am going through this WITHOUT any insurance, so I will be paying a hefty change for Accutane. I just want to go through with this, clear up and STAY that way....I want to end ACNE in my life.

Any suggestions, support, tips would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. To all acne sufferers, I feel the pain and my condolences go out to each and every one of you. It feels like no one, not even some of our closest friends, family members can understand what we're going through, and this is why I come to acne.org. Acne has been controlling my life ever since I've gotten it and its brings out the worst in me. Best of luck to everyone.

Good luck with your course of accutane. My story sounds pretty similar to yours. I tried everything as well.

My derm started me out on 100mgs a day. No bad side effects yet -- I'm on day 21. Just remember that everyone reacts different to the drug. Be prepared for an initial breakout. A lot of people get them. I'm expecting the worst but haven't gotten one yet (I'm praying and keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get one).

From what people have been saying -- Walmart is the cheapest place to get the drug if you don't have insurance. Try asking around to different pharmacies to get prices so that you can find the cheapest place to get it.

hmm, Walmart you say? Would it be the same brand/grade as the one the derm would be prescribing me to? This is a SERIOUS matter for me, I will not cut any corners. Thanks for your help though =P I am actually ready for the initial breakout and will be asking my boss for a two month leave. I'm hoping he will understand and comply with my request.

This is a serious matter to anyone taking accutane. I struggled with the decision to take this drug for 8 months. There aren't any corners that can be cut when prescribing this medicine.

The derm writes the prescription and you take it to the pharmacy of your choice. Any pharmacy you take it to will fill it with either the brand of the drug Accutane (which is super expensive) or a generic (less expensive) which would be one of three -- Sotret, Amnesteem or Clavris. A pharmacy can not "cut corners" on the drug that the derm prescribes. I only mentioned Walmart Pharmacy because other people have mentioned that it seems to be the cheapest on price without insurance.

I know its probably not my place to say but isn't a 2 month leave a little over the top don't you think? I've heard of some people not getting an initial breakout until like month 3 or 4. Everyone reacts to the drug different and you may not never have an initial breakout.

I struggled with the decision as well but for me it was years. Because of the potential side effects I wanted it to be a last resort. I would not really ask for time off though. I still can work fine at my job, but thats just me.

Aggiechick05, Thanks for your replies and help.

Regarding my unemployment, I'm a personal trainer at Equinox in NY. I just started, passed the training phase but haven't really picked up any clients. It's a commission based job and they're always hiring. I'm not going to quit my job over this. However, if they allow it, that'd be great =)

And yes, as the days go by and come closer to the date of my first pill, I am getting very anxious. I will post my log once I start. =)

Aggiechik05, can you please post ur log too, I am very curious to see how you do since you are taking it around the same time as I am. Would be much appreciated =)