Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello guys, after having acne since I was a teenager I think I finally have it mostly under control, but I'm left with gross-looking skin. There are large pores (which don't bother me too badly as make-up fills them in) and just an overall uneven look (not discoloration, just..uneven somehow.) I have fine lines on my nose, my forehead has some small lines and looks loose, and I'm so oily which makes my make-up collect in every crease and look horrible! I know that the amount of oil I produce can't really be changed, and I don't mind it..I only mind it when it comes to make-up...even when I put powder on top or use blotting pads to absorb the oil. However, I wouldn't need to use make-up if my skin looked better than it does, so my main worry is just just fixing the texture and look.

Basically it's just not youthful and soft and dewy and pretty, and I don't think it should be looking like this at only age 18, so I was wondering if you guys had any tips for products that kinda restored your skin..I've been trying 10% glycolic acid but I don't notice any difference, and I'm kinda weary about Retin-A as it might break me out horribly. Thanks guys!

How long have you been doing the glycolic acid? An AHA should help over time. What else are you using to treat your acne?

And what makeup are you using?

Retin-a has definitely improved the texture of my skin...pores are less obvious & clearer, my skin is way more even toned, and of course my acne is mostly gone. Wrinkles aren't an issue for me right now.

I had no initial breakout from it, but every derm I've had has made sure I was either on a topical or oral antibiotic while adjusting to it. I am currently working my way towards .1% tretinoin, and after I adjust to that I am supposed to come off the antibiotics. I'm really pleased with the results so far.

Having had acne since I was eight years old (not counting the blackheads I started to get when I was seven), experimenting with all kinds of harsh products over the years left me with wrinkles under my eyes. I found that applying a generous amount of 100% pure, all-natural shea butter has done wonders. You can get a good one at Bath & Body Works.

I agree that a rich moisturizer can plump up the skin and even things out, even if your skin is oily. When my skin was really oily, I'd use Cerave at night after washing my face, since the cream was oil-free and actually seemed to "mattify" my skin. I also agree that the AHA should help over time.