Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dreamofperfectskin

My derm gave me Minocycline, Tretinoin Cream .025%, and Benzaclin???

So I've been using Dan's regimen but with the Acne Free 3.7% repairing lotion as my benzoyl peroxide, it's been 5 weeks, and it seems to be working pretty good (but it could just be the summer weather and time in the sun and ocean, the real test comes in the next few weeks when the weather changes - I always break out then). I had scheduled a derm appt. b/c I really did want to supplement with an oral antibiotic or birth control and keep doing the regimen, but I did not express that, I just nodded and went with what he gave me.

He put me on Minocycline 50 mg twice a day, Benzaclin for daytime, and Tretinoin Cream .025% for nighttime. I've read the Tretinoin cream may clog me up and break me out (not just an initial breakout). THAT SCARES ME! I kind of want to stick with Dan's regimen for a little longer before trying all this new stuff out. His regimen seems to have had a lot of success for people on here, and it seems to be working good for me too. I have 1 blemish and about 3 very small whiteheads that you can barely see even without makeup. WHAT SHOULD I DO? FOLLOW THE DR's ORDERS? OR JUST DO THE MINOCYCLINE AND DAN'S FOR A FEW MORE WEEKS, THEN IF I'M NOT COMPLETELY HAPPY, TRY HIS?

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK AND WHAT YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH THE REGIMEN, MINOCYCLINE, BENZACLIN, AND TRETINOIN CREAM .025% HAVE BEEN. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I am currently on minocycline and Retisol-A cream (tretinoin cream, differnt name) also on birth control pills

I had the worst IB normally I would have about 5 pimples on my face at a time or less, and when I first started I broke out pretty bad, not going to lie I wanted to stop it right then and there, but I waited it out for about 5 months and now my skin is transformed. My pores are smaller, in this past month I only had one pimple that went away in 2 days(got it around my period, im sure all girls get one around then even if you arent acne prone. ha ha)

Honestly I really had to wait it out, I mean I think I was unluck to get the IB but ive heard of alot of people not getting one so it really depends on the person I guess.

If you do go on the mino and cream a few things of advice.

-DO NOT PICK OR PEEL DRY SKIN! omg I made a horrible mistake in doing that and now I have red marks that wouldnt have been there if I didnt.

-Get a good moisturizer! Nothing scented, I use Estee Lauder

-Sunglasses when ever you go outside, mino tends to make your eyes more sensitive to the sun.

-Don't put too much of the topical on, even if you freak out and want to put on more, dont do it! I found out the hard way that it does nothing but make it worse.

-Get a really good cleanser, or im sure you could even still use dans.

Umm yeah but if you have any more questions ask, Ive been through it all. ha ha

Oh I also forgot to add, if your female try and go on some type of BCP when you start, I think if I would have been on it my IB wouldn't have been as bad, because as soon as I started taking it while using mino and retisol-a I started to clear up in days.

Oh and just so your not scared about the whole not picking thing, yes i did pick, not alot but the red marks that I did get are slowly going away, mine faded quite a bit in a matter of a month or so, but I guess it depends on your skin.

Good luck with what ever you decied to do!

What BCP did you go on?

I'm still nervous, b/c I've been reading all these posts about the disasters of the IB, and Dan's personal acne history is discouraging towards using Retin-A's. I'm just scared the IB will be very bad, will leave scarring, and last, won't go away. Some people report that they continue to break out 6 months in.

Thanks for the replies though! Your experiences help me to make a decision.

What BCP did you go on?

I'm still nervous, b/c I've been reading all these posts about the disasters of the IB, and Dan's personal acne history is discouraging towards using Retin-A's. I'm just scared the IB will be very bad, will leave scarring, and last, won't go away. Some people report that they continue to break out 6 months in.

Thanks for the replies though! Your experiences help me to make a decision.

I am currently on Allesse it's not specifically for acne, but my family doctor told me that it sometimes can help and it seemed to do the job for me. I know there are tons of BCP's out there that are for acne and you could try one of those out but if you have never been on one ask your doctor what he/she would think is best for you. My sister is on orto-tricyclin and she gets a zit like once every 3 months and hers is for acne.

Ummmm I'm not going to lie, I had a pretty bad IB and was really upset for the for the first little while, but now even my red marks are starting to fade and I have one active pimple on my chin that isn't even noticible. So I mean for me if got worse before it got better, but some people don't even get an IB. I guess it also depends on how bad your acne is too, I mean if its not that bad you shouldn't have a bad IB but mine was moderate acne so my Ib sucked, but now, it was totally worth it. ha ha

Good luck!