Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dreamweaver66

Does MOM actually kill acne or just fight oilies?

I have been using MOM as a spot treatment at night for pimples.

I am very aware that it does help with the oilies, but wanted to know if it can actually kill the acne, or is it putting it back into hiding or something like that?

Every morning when I wake up and wash my face the pimples are gone (sometimes it takes two nights).

Can any GURU's help figure this one out about MOM???

My MOM doesn't do any of that for me. :snooty: huh!

She's talking about milk of magnesia.....ya know Phillips laxative crap. There are threads allover about it. and I have read on here it helps acne. and can be used as a makeup primer to keep the ollies away.

As a primer, does it not make makeup look crusty or cakey? I'd like to try it, but I don't want to end up looking like my face is flaking off.

Sorry everyone, yes I meant Milk of Magnesia.

Threre is another thread on the board that goes more extensively about using this. It goes into using it as a primer, etc.

Just wondering if it actually killed anyone's acne, cause it really seems to be helping mine as a spot treatment at nite.

I have used Milk of Magnesia for the past 2 days and on both days I have only seen a small improvement in my oily skin.

On day 1, I applied a thin layer using a cotton pad in the morning before I went out.

On day 2, I applied a thicker layer with a cotton pad. After waiting 2 mins for it to dry a bit I used a 2nd cotton pad to brush off any white marks. This way I was able to use a thicker layer of milk of magnesia. I saw an improvement over using just a thin layer straight up.

I am going to try an even thicker layer tomorrow and try brushing off the white marks again after drying. Only problem is that Im a guy and if I use too much milk of magnesia it will give my skin a chalky look and I can not hide it with make up like the girls will be able to.

Does anyone else have any tips of how I could apply it without it making my face look chalky white?

Applying enough MoM w/o looking all chalky is my morning struggle. If I can get a lot on, it works pretty well, but is almost impossible w/o having chalky spots:(

Tonight before I went out I used MOM as a mask for 20mins. I then went into the shower and washed the mask off. Then before I went out, I applied a layer of MOM on my skin, but this time a thicker than normal layer which left alot of white marks. I had to work harder to rub off any areas where the white marks were obvious.

Result = 6 hours and my skin looks good.

I dont know if it was the mask, or the thicker layer of MOM before I went out. Or maybe it was a combination of both.

I will try again using a thick layer of MOM without using it as a mask on the same day and see what happens.

I haven't tried this in the morning[only at night for me so far] but I think I might try it soon as a primer.

Well anywho I read that putting it in a spray bottle and putting like 1/3 water 2/3 MoM then spraying it on a cotton ball/pad helps reducing the chalkyness

I would have problems with the blotchy chalkyness at first. All I do to get rid of that now is first, in the morning after my shower I apply MOM all over with a makeup wedge... then after its pretty much dry I use another makeup wedge and apply sunblock. It gets rid of the chalkyness in an instant =]. I just apply my regular makeup after that. I love MOM!! It works really well at controlling my oily skin and it does seem to help with my acne <3.