Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Acne

Condom Lubricant Cure Acne? (Not a joke)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080828/hl_af...pz5.pQz2c9a24cA

PHNOM PENH (AFP) - A condom lubricant designed for sex workers and gay men has become a popular acne cure among female Cambodians, women in the capital and local media said Thursday.

Number One Plus, a water-based lubricant produced by health organisation Population Services International (PSI), is an excellent cure for acne, 29-year-old vendor Tep Kemyoeurn told AFP.

"After I used it for three days, all of my acne dried up and went away," she said. "Many people believe in it," she added.

Khen Vanny, 29, from Phnom Penh, told AFP that women of all ages have taken to using the lubricant to get rid of spots.

"It is very effective. Some people don't believe in it but people who do really get a good result," she said, adding: "My youngest sister and my aunt use it too."

Another woman told Khmer-language Kampuchea Thmey newspaper that she had used many kinds of medicine to treat acne but none had worked.

"After that my friends, who work at garment factories in Phnom Penh, advised me to apply the lubricant from Number One Plus condoms on my face every night," she told the paper.

"And just within three to four nights, the acne on my face gradually and then totally disappeared," she added.

A vendor near a factory in the coastal city of Sihanoukville told the newspaper that she sold packets of Number One Plus lubricant for 500 riels (12 cents) to many women every day.

The paper urged experts to conduct research about the phenomenon.

PSI were not immediately available for comment on the apparent cosmetic benefits of their product.

Number One Plus is produced by a charity non-profit that works in many developing countries including Cambodia. I couldn't find anything on the ingredients and it's not really a commercially available product. It's subsidised and produced/distributed by PSI to jointly combat population, health issues/ stds in these countries and to encourage local economic activity - so it's unlikely we'll ever get it here. Maybe an available equivalent has a similar make-up?

sounds to good to be true... however, if is true, we will all find out sooner or later. I mean, if it truly does "cure" acne as has been reported, then this sex grease has marketable value. Its profitability will eventually be exploited, if not by the company itself than by some competitor surreptitiously gaining access to the "secret" ingredients. As for me, I'm gonna stick with Dan's Regimen for the time being, figuring how well its been working for me.

I would probably try this but,

1. Isn't is just like that weird 'pee on your face' method? I mean, not neccesarily but really they weren't meant to be smothered on your face..

2. My mom would think I was having sex, not clearing my acne.

but really, does it work? Has anyone else tried it?

Or is thie just bull from the lubricant factory?

Well the manufacturer is a charity organization called "Population Services International" (look them up). And while it's made for that purpose, it is just a gel/composition not unlike anything else we use on our faces :)

I just sent an email to them asking for the ingredients. If or when I get a reply, I'll post them here. Also, I'm not necessarily convinced this idea is anything other than your everyday acne urban myth but it'd make for interesting reading for sure.

it would be funny if the lubricant has BP or SA, lol.

I highly doubt it though, it probably has some ingriedient that we've never even thought to try.

anyone have a internet link to the product?

http://www.psi.org/

PSI is a major organisation working in developing countries. Check out the website. I haven't received a reply to my email yet which is not so surprising. Doing the kind of work they do my guess is that my query will be given approximately zero priority :P

Just google "Number one Plus" + lubricant to read a dozen versions of the same story above ^^ There's no link to the actual product.

Imagine if it was SA tho :ninja:

hahah, some little girl is gonna read this and go out and buy condoms and her dad will find them in her room and start beating her ass and she'll be like "BUT DAD, I JUST RUB THEM ON MY FACE!"