Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speaktwice

People who know nothing about acne yet insist on giving their serious opinion or trying to help

My dad went to go pick up a refill for my prescription, which is 5% bp and an antibacterial something in it with a big name. Anyway he calls from the pharmacist asking if I want any otc things, I basicly said no just the prescription. He insists that he asks the pharmacist because appeariantly they are now experts on acne.

Anyway he comes home with 2 different brands of 5% bp along with my prescription that has 5% bp in it. :think:

Appeariantly the pharmacist also thinks moisturizing = bad and I should stop using aloe vera. Instead I should start using this bp 2x as often because appeariantly dry skin = good. They explained to my dad that no, bp doesn't oxygenate the skin, it simply dries it out, and the drying of the skin is what gets rid of acne.. :naughty:

And I don't even have oily skin what so ever.

Totally hear you. So often I hear people tell me that what they tell thier children is "just soap and water" and I usually have to bite my tounge. That can be so harmful!

And kudos to you for speaking out to your dad - YOU know skincare and YOU are correct!

Lots of pharmacies have a policy of offering generics instead of name-brand items. I can see a pharmacy offering an OTC alternative as well because dermatology is an area not often covered by insurance plans and some of the products can be incredibly expensive.