Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rsr26

Fraxel Scheduled

Since I've been hearing good stuff about fraxel repair, I saw Dr. Steven Weiner in Destin today. (I live about 30 min. away.) Anyway, I met with him and one of his assistants this morning and set an appointment for October 9th.

They have a nice office and, from what I know about this guy, he's supposed to be good. When you arrive, they fist do a high-tech skin analysis. You stick your face in this box and they take pictures and tell you how jacked up your skin is. (Not that bluntly, of course.) In addition to what I would describe as mild to moderate scaring, I have uneven pigment, sun damage, bags under my eyes and just overall crappy skin.

I was shown pictures of what to expect immediately after--and it's not pretty. But by day 3 or so, I should look relatively normal and be able to return to work by day 7. (I'll be off about 10 days before going back to work.)

The price is 3800--which ain't cheap but certainly would be worth it if I get even modest results. While I do not expect tons of improvement in the scar area, I do expect the other aspects of my skin to greatly improve. We will see.

Immediately after making the appointment I felt a lot better about things-like I was at least trying to improve my situation. Hopefully, all this will be worth it. I will keep the site informed about the process and will post pics as some point.

hi rsr, good luck w/ that. i read about dr. weiner and he sounds good. i was gonna make an appt w/ him for repair too. but i opted for total fx.

is he actually gonna do your procedure? where i'm going, they told me i can either have the doctor do it (i chose this place cuz he's certified in cosmetic surgery), or i can have the head nurse do it. they said that really, the doctor's done a few dozen, while the nurse has done hundreds, so i should have her do it. so i chose her, and i'm freakin out wondering if that's legit or not

The doctor will do it, but will be assisted by the nurse. I want the most qualified doing the procedure--whomever that is. I'm just a layperson, but I would think a nurse could roll the machine across your face as good as anyone. If she's done it before, I probably wouldn't be that concerned. But I would want the doctor available in some sort of supervisory capacity. (Sort of like the dentist who checks the teeth out after the hygenist is done cleaning them.)

Today I went in for the final pre-op meeting. Fraxel is scheduled for Oct. 9. There is some important post-op care that I have to do, which mainly consists of keeping my face clean. I am taking about 11 days off from work, but was told that my face will still probably be a little red when I return. I am a little nervous about the procedure, but feel like it is something I have to try. I will keep this board updated on my progress.

The doctor will do it, but will be assisted by the nurse. I want the most qualified doing the procedure--whomever that is. I'm just a layperson, but I would think a nurse could roll the machine across your face as good as anyone. If she's done it before, I probably wouldn't be that concerned. But I would want the doctor available in some sort of supervisory capacity. (Sort of like the dentist who checks the teeth out after the hygenist is done cleaning them.)

Before you undergo this procedure, please visit the realself.com website under "fraxel re:pair- wasn't worth it" and check out the story of a woman name christine. She had a terrible experience (not with your doctor with someone else FYI) and your doctor in Destin actually participates in the realself forum and should be familiar with this case (your doctor has actually posted some fantastic before and afters from re:pair). Your doctor looks like he is experienced and educated in this area, but I wanted to give you this information so you could be informed. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Before you undergo this procedure, please visit the realself.com website under "fraxel re:pair- wasn't worth it" and check out the story of a woman name christine. She had a terrible experience (not with your doctor with someone else FYI) and your doctor in Destin actually participates in the realself forum and should be familiar with this case (your doctor has actually posted some fantastic before and afters from re:pair). Your doctor looks like he is experienced and educated in this area, but I wanted to give you this information so you could be informed. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I've seen her photos and they definitely got my attention. I've done lots of research on the procedure and feel like I am making an educated decision. There are certainly some risks with the procedure. Nevertheless, I am going forward.

Good LUCK! the days are TICKING down for you! LOL I had the OLD fraxel (now called restore)

Done in South Florida 4 years ago, Like you I was a Trail blazer for my time.

Please ask your doctor his thoughts on that poor women on Realself. Looks to me like she had gotten some sever blistering. My 5 restore treatments yielded some modest improvement but those improvements have slowly faded over the past several years and I do NOT want to sit through a Seriies of fraxels again. I would much rather get it ALL over and done with with one REPAIR and even if I have to go back for a second 6-8 months later that is OK as long as I get over 50% improvment to the acne scaring and the other BONUS benifits such as tightning up the bags under my eyes. Repair sounds like it does a great job on SEVERAL indications all inone fell swope! LOL

Good luck again

I've seen her photos and they definitely got my attention. I've done lots of research on the procedure and feel like I am making an educated decision. There are certainly some risks with the procedure. Nevertheless, I am going forward.

Did your doctor say anything about this woman's bad result? I am really curious because this procedure is so new.

RSR26, Dr Weiner is a regular poster on RealSelf and is very aware of Christine and the problems she had with Re:pair. I have talked with Dr Weiner on RealSelf and I might drop in the next time I drive to Florida. I had Re:pair done in May and I will repeat the procedure in January. There is a 6 month waiting period between treatments, and even Dr Weiner has said most cases require 2-3 treatments. It took about a week before I could leave the house, but then I drove 1000 miles to Michigan on vacation. My procedure was done at 70mj and 60%. Very few doctors have the Re:pair Laser, and the last I heard there were only 35 in the US.

PS the swelling is the worst on day 2 and you won't even recognize yurself. Tell Dr. Weiner that Dazed from RealSelf says hello. He should remember me because I was asking directions to his office.

"I had Re:pair done in May and I will repeat the procedure in January."

Did you see any improvement in your scarring?

The simple answer is yes, or I wouldn't be scheduling a 2nd procedure. Some doctors will tellyou Re:pair is a one and done treatment, but 2-3 treatments is much more realistic, and it is not cheap, and very few doctors have the laser. I looked into TotalFX, the only thing comparable on the market, and the Re:pair offers deeper penetration. TotalFX costs less, and I have heard good reviews from that laser.

RSR26, Dr Weiner is a regular poster on RealSelf and is very aware of Christine and the problems she had with Re:pair. I have talked with Dr Weiner on RealSelf and I might drop in the next time I drive to Florida. I had Re:pair done in May and I will repeat the procedure in January. There is a 6 month waiting period between treatments, and even Dr Weiner has said most cases require 2-3 treatments. It took about a week before I could leave the house, but then I drove 1000 miles to Michigan on vacation. My procedure was done at 70mj and 60%. Very few doctors have the Re:pair Laser, and the last I heard there were only 35 in the US.

PS the swelling is the worst on day 2 and you won't even recognize yurself. Tell Dr. Weiner that Dazed from RealSelf says hello. He should remember me because I was asking directions to his office.

I am glad to hear that you have had contact with a doctor(s) who are aware of the serious side effects. Any feedback? Does anyone know why certain people have a bad reaction? This procedure looks life altering but also really dangerous. Is it about getting the right doctor?

BigBlue, Christine's case is extreme and anyone considering Re:pair should read her postings at.

http://www.realself.com/forum/fraxel-repai...nt-fraxel-laser

There are very few Re:pair machines in the US. I had mine done at 70mj and 60% which is as intense as it gets. Anybody who is considering this procedure had better know what those figures mean before they go through with it.