Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MarsBars

Nodule vs. Papule

Can someone explain the difference between a nodule and papule for me please?

These are brief definitions on the Types of Acne page on this site:

Nodules are large, hard bumps under the skin's surface.

Papules are inflamed, red, tender bumps with no head.

I still don't understand the difference. Can someone better explain it to me please? :redface:

Nodules are large, hard bumps under the skin's surface. Meaning no "head" or not popable.. sometimes these will grow into cysts, which are basically enormous pus containing zits.

Papules are inflamed, red, tender bumps with no head. Not full of pus. but blood?

that's be my interpretation anyway, but I welcome the more informed to correct me.

Basically, papules are small (5 mm or less), and usually becomes pustules (zits). Nodules are large, and can turn into cysts. You'd know if you had a nodule, also because they are much more painful. But yeah the description can be confusing.

I'm confused as well. I had a cystic breakout earlier this year so I would know a cyst but currently I have a semi-large inflammed bump on my cheek. it's been there for about 3 days. It doesnt have a head however there it doesnt hurt either. At this point it's defiently not poppable but it doesnt seem to be receding either. It's just holding strong and stubborn. It's really irritating the hell out of me. Anybody know if this is papule or a nodule?