Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
donnamariemoon

Accutane, Systemic antibiotics, or ??

Hi,

I am so glad to find this forum. I am new here. I have had acne since age 12 and now I am 38. I am so tired of this. I know I won't have to say much about how I feel here.

As a teen I did not have health insurance but in my young 20's I did so went to derm - started tetracyline and was amazed at improvement. The problem was whenever I stopped taking it and just used topicals, the acne returned. The doctor prescribed accutane and back then all the side effects except birth defects were downplayed. I wasn't planning a family so no problem. I took it, had some dry skin and lips, but overall, my skin cleared about 85% - enough for me not to want a second course.

So over the years it was mostly better from about age 23 - 30 - not acne free, but just say, 2 - 5 "zits" here or there, maybe worse during menstrual times. Bearable, coverable.

At 31 I had a child and all manner of crazy things happened to my skin of course, and ever since then the acne has been back full force, worse than ever. I finally went back to derm in April 2007 and she put me on doryx. Just as before, it worked great. Just as before, if I try to go off it, acne comes back. In a twist, now, not onlly does it come back off systemic antibiotics, but it seems to come back 3 times worse. For example I have so many pimples on my chin right now I feel deformed, and it was not that bad when I started it.

Okay, so the doctor wants to put me on a second course of accutane. The dilemma for me is: we know a lot more about this drug now than before. there are so many side effects listed it makes my head spin. So many are relevant to me as an older person who doesn't feel invincible (eye stuff, bone stuff, etc.). Most important is I have bipolar disorder, well managed on medicine, and there is all this stuff about psychiatric problems on accutane.

So, basically, I was looking around for opinion/writing on accutane and found your website/forum.

I could stay on systemic anti biotics forever. If I do, what are the risks. Aren't there risks? The doctor seems to think there are none.

I could try accutane again. I didn't have those bad effects before, so would I now? But that was 15 years ago, a lot changes about your body.

I know I have to make this decision myself but if other people have made these choices and just wanted to share their process I would love to hear it.

Also, is ther ANY cover up make up that will not make it worse? I have to start teaching next week and I hate looking this way, but in my experience cover up makes even more of them come.

thanks if you read this long.

Donna

hey, sorry to hear about what a rough time you're having at the moment, adult acne is such a cruel thing when all those around you seem to have outgrown these kinds of problems. anyway, im not too sure what to say about the accutane as ive never tried it myself, but i wanted to recommend everyday minerals to you as a make up to cover up your spots. if you search the cosmetics forum you can see how popular it is with members here, its got only 3 ingredients and all are natural and non comedogenic. the coverage is also very good and lasts on me for a good 12 hours. its also pretty cheap. anyway have a search around and look at the reviews, or post something on the everyday minerals forum about acne and see how its helped others. hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you so much - I will look it up. I like using cover because I don't touch it so much but the key as you said is something that is non comedogenic.

Thanks again! :-)

Donna

hey, sorry to hear about what a rough time you're having at the moment, adult acne is such a cruel thing when all those around you seem to have outgrown these kinds of problems. anyway, im not too sure what to say about the accutane as ive never tried it myself, but i wanted to recommend everyday minerals to you as a make up to cover up your spots. if you search the cosmetics forum you can see how popular it is with members here, its got only 3 ingredients and all are natural and non comedogenic. the coverage is also very good and lasts on me for a good 12 hours. its also pretty cheap. anyway have a search around and look at the reviews, or post something on the everyday minerals forum about acne and see how its helped others. hope this helps and good luck!