Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lady_C

(RO)Accutane For Oily Skin Only

Hi Guys,

Im 23 yrs old who has had acne since I was 12. I have only recently managed to get my skin under control (Anti's, Differin & BC). While my skin maybe be okay I still get minor breakouts.

Now the one thing I can't seem to get rid of is my severe case of oily skin. I've tried changing my diet, I lead a healthy lifestyle anyway - change skin products, you name it. I have now realised my oilliness is down to genetic's because my mother also has very oily skin & acne. So nothing I use/do will make a difference even on Birth Control pill wish is suppose to control it doesn't.

Which brings me to this question, is it poosible for my derm to prescribe a low dose of accutane? bare in mind that I still get small breakouts to

Has anybody been on accutane for oily skin only?

thanks

i've read that a low dose of accutane is very good for oily skin. but u knwo what, i wouldn't do it... you may get an initial breakout that could really ruin your skin. it sure happened to me...

i've read that a low dose of accutane is very good for oily skin. but u knwo what, i wouldn't do it... you may get an initial breakout that could really ruin your skin. it sure happened to me...

I'm so sorry to hear that. You see this what i'm afraid of....may I ask what dose are you taking? Has the oillines completely subsided?

I have also read that some people do low doses (something like 20mg a day, or even once every 2 or 3 days) just to combat oily skin, but consult with your dermatologist about that (and maybe get a second opinion too).

I can relate a little, having had mild-to-moderate acne but very oily skin, and finding decent success controlling the acne (aside from the occasional breakout), but really no success with the oily skin. So my dermatologist said we can try Accutane and hopefully take care of all of it. I just started my second month of 40mg per day, and hopefully my blood results will continue to be okay the next time where I can increase to 60mg (I weigh 120lbs, which would suggest doing 60mg in a normal situation). So far, I have noticed a decrease in oil production, which has been a nice change (but with that has come dryness, which has been worse in some areas than others--such as lips). I did not have an initial breakout, though I am still having a few things pop up now and again, but not as much as before (and I am only 4 weeks in, plus at a low dose for my weight).

So the bottom line is, yes, there are doctors who believe that you can try Accutane more for an oily skin issue than just for an acne issue, but you should get some consultations and continue to consider the potential side effects and downsides of doing it before making a decision.

I've heard of people going on Accutane to treat their Rosacea (it certainly is helping for me), but I'm not sure about oily skin. If you wanted to stop using the antibiotics and Differin, then you'd be on Accutane for both acne and oil, which may be more realistic. Also, because you were on these products before going on Accutane, your initial breakout may be less severe or nonexistent. I'd definitely consult with your derm, though. Good luck!

Thank guys,

I really appreciate all the responses. I'm going to conduct as much research as possible and take it to the derm. I'm just alittle worried about going to the derms office and having them not take me serious because my priority right now is the oil, but surely they can see from my records that I have a long history of acne.

Im going to hawaii for two weeks which is going to be very hot n humid and i'm not particularly looking forward to blotting my face every few minutes.

Im taking 20mg a day. Second course of it....

The first time i took 20mg a day for around 3-4 months....skin was great for 6 months afterwards then turned to custard again. I just dont think i had taken enough accutane over the 3-4 months for it to be effective.

Certainly cleared up my oiliness and blackheads REALLY well.

I have an appointment for 28th October. I had one earlier this month 23rd Sept but had to cancel because of uni. Hopefully I'll be able to explain my concerns to the derm and have her put me on a low dose of Roaccutane.

thanks once again, any more replies are more than welcome.

Hi Guys,

Im 23 yrs old who has had acne since I was 12. I have only recently managed to get my skin under control (Anti's, Differin & BC). While my skin maybe be okay I still get minor breakouts.

Now the one thing I can't seem to get rid of is my severe case of oily skin. I've tried changing my diet, I lead a healthy lifestyle anyway - change skin products, you name it. I have now realised my oilliness is down to genetic's because my mother also has very oily skin & acne. So nothing I use/do will make a difference even on Birth Control pill wish is suppose to control it doesn't.

Which brings me to this question, is it poosible for my derm to prescribe a low dose of accutane? bare in mind that I still get small breakouts to

Has anybody been on accutane for oily skin only?

thanks

Hi, i had just finished a round of accutane and i too had very very oily skin prior to starting my course. And while my skin was dried up nicely during the treatment, it all came back once i got off accutane. So going on accutane for oil control is only temporary - for almost everyone, the oil will return. Although i think there are a few ppl who have reported that going on multiple courses have made their face less oily than before?

The oil is very frustrating, but i guess it's better than dealing with acne. I think it's the lesser of two evils

Oily skin is definitely the lesser of two evils and I can't believe people take Tane because of this. It's so not worth it. A temporary fix which could leave you with long-term conditions and side effects - have you actually 'THOUGHT' about that??!

Technically, your dermatologist would not be allowed to prescribe you Accutane, since the FDA allows Accutane prescriptions for nodular/cystic/severe acne that doesn't respond to topical treatment.

However, a lot of dermatologists are kind of flexible with their Accutane prescribing powers, so you may end up finding one that may give it to you.

But like everyone else is saying, if you're already clear, you may want to take into account the possibility for an initial breakout, which may cause you scarring.

I have very oily skin and i would never consider Accutane. It's not worth the long term side effects!

well, in all fairness, not everyone gets these long term side effects - a lotta ppl have had no problems at all, maybe during treatment, but not after they're done with the course.

What's wrong with oily skin? I believe in the long term oily skin is better since your skin would be more likely to age well. Sure you hate the slick now but when you're 40 your dry skined peers would have wrinkles and you'll look like you're 25.

What's wrong with oily skin? I believe in the long term oily skin is better since your skin would be more likely to age well. Sure you hate the slick now but when you're 40 your dry skined peers would have wrinkles and you'll look like you're 25.

True but people with oily skin are often accompanied with oily hair or scalp as well and its kinda a pain when your scalp is greasy, sticky and itchy as well at the end of the day which requires daily cleansing plus your hair is also limpy as well. I have to admit, I don't enjoy this a lot because I also suffer from dandruff because of my oily hair. To top it off, with oily skin you have to blot of the excess every few hours and its a little embarassing if others saw how clear your blotting sheets look like after you blot and it doesn't help that you blot of your makeup as well as makeup don't sit well on oily skin.

Accutane doesn't help with the oil production. I don't know about multiple courses but my skin and hair is still as oily as after a course of accutane. It does dry up the oil during the course but once you finished, it comes back. I have realised that with certain facial products you can help reduce the oil production. Use non-alcohol based products and use powder makeup instead. And I do swear by MAC blot powder, it really helps a lot!

True but people with oily skin are often accompanied with oily hair or scalp as well and its kinda a pain when your scalp is greasy, sticky and itchy as well at the end of the day which requires daily cleansing plus your hair is also limpy as well. I have to admit, I don't enjoy this a lot because I also suffer from dandruff because of my oily hair. To top it off, with oily skin you have to blot of the excess every few hours and its a little embarassing if others saw how clear your blotting sheets look like after you blot and it doesn't help that you blot of your makeup as well as makeup don't sit well on oily skin.

Accutane doesn't help with the oil production. I don't know about multiple courses but my skin and hair is still as oily as after a course of accutane. It does dry up the oil during the course but once you finished, it comes back. I have realised that with certain facial products you can help reduce the oil production. Use non-alcohol based products and use powder makeup instead. And I do swear by MAC blot powder, it really helps a lot!

i totally share your pain maddy lol. I too have oily hair n dandruff and yes the blotting every two hours for me is sooo annoying. i always have to excuse myself to go to the restroom to do it =(

Has anyone had any success reducing their oil production by changing their diet?

And lastly, that "oily skin means less wrinkle/less facial aging later on in life" thing - is it actually proven fact? Or is it just another popular echoed urban myth?