Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hmm... I kinda knew where you were going with this as this is the acne forum.

To be honest, I wouldn't know really what I want to do with a million dollars right now. I would give some of it to my parents as a thanks for raising me to be a better man. Invest the rest into my future needs I guess.

Donating a million dollars for acne research? There are much more noble causes then that and much bigger problems in the world... Sure, acne can certainly be debilitating for people and emotionally effect their lives but is it killing anyone? The people who would take their lives because of acne must have deep psychological issues that need to be taken care of. The amount of people killing themselves from acne or being depressed from acne is nothing compared to something like AIDS, one of a million examples.

I dunno, I just think blowing acne out of proportion enough to put it above real, chronic, fatal diseases is a bad mindset to have. People have it so much worse out there than acne sufferers. Probably not the right place to say this all but I hate the mindset of letting acne defeat somebody and take over. I hate it because I did it for so long and saw how it effected me and the people around me. I mean, I guess either way it would be a cause you believe strongly in, I just disagree with the mindset and think there are more serious problems out there..

As for me, I'd probably start off by donating a bit to friends/family with financial problems then invest the rest and donate it over time to something like cancer research and to charities and poor people who need food to survive, where acne is the last thing on their minds...

I hate "people have it worse" speaches.

Yeah, they do. But they aren't me.

Who cares if it's selfish? If you're happy and selfish, you're still happy.

I hate "people have it worse" speaches.

Yeah, they do. But they aren't me.

Who cares if it's selfish? If you're happy and selfish, you're still happy.

The point is that people most likely aren't happy because they're not grateful for what they have compared to others in tougher situations and they wallow in their own moot problems and do things like blame acne for all their failures. See the world from a larger perspective and it helps.

Some people will never see the world like that and I'll go ahead and assume you're one of them. Very stereotypical American thought process though, so I don't blame you.

Only I'm not from America. I'm just very paranoid and have many friends who could be on here so I don't put my real location.

You're probably the type who would discuss how recycling is going to save the world every second time you buy your $10 coffee at starbucks.

You cannot make any difference in the world by giving people money.

Donating a million dollars for acne research? There are much more noble causes then that and much bigger problems in the world... Sure, acne can certainly be debilitating for people and emotionally effect their lives but is it killing anyone? The people who would take their lives because of acne must have deep psychological issues that need to be taken care of. The amount of people killing themselves from acne or being depressed from acne is nothing compared to something like AIDS, one of a million examples.

I dunno, I just think blowing acne out of proportion enough to put it above real, chronic, fatal diseases is a bad mindset to have. People have it so much worse out there than acne sufferers. Probably not the right place to say this all but I hate the mindset of letting acne defeat somebody and take over. I hate it because I did it for so long and saw how it effected me and the people around me. I mean, I guess either way it would be a cause you believe strongly in, I just disagree with the mindset and think there are more serious problems out there..

As for me, I'd probably start off by donating a bit to friends/family with financial problems then invest the rest and donate it over time to something like cancer research and to charities and poor people who need food to survive, where acne is the last thing on their minds...

I don't know how well I can explain myself right now as I'm about to go to bed soon, but I will try my best.

Your point is valid, but think of it this way.

He has a million dollars to donate, and he decides to donate it for research and awareness of physiological and physical effects of acne. Why would someone decide to do that? Naturally, if you look at many people today who have donated, or raised donation through specific events for a specific cause was not because they did it just because. It was because they suffered from the condition and they too wanted to bring awareness of their condition to the people and help others who are going through the same thing. Isn't what this site is about? If I remember correctly Dan donates some of his profits to organizations for research on clear skin.

Anyways, I hope this makes to certain degree of sense, I'm going to bed now! LOL

Only I'm not from America. I'm just very paranoid and have many friends who could be on here so I don't put my real location.

You're probably the type who would discuss how recycling is going to save the world every second time you buy your $10 coffee at starbucks.

You cannot make any difference in the world by giving people money.

Hardly. I'm actually not overly involved in environmental or humanitarian practices.. Don't forget this thread was a hypothetical on "if you had a million dollars". I have -way- too much going on in my life right now to be overly involved, though I do what I can and make donations and volunteer when I can it's unfortunately become occasional because of being so busy. But I'm very grateful for what I have and am aware that compared to most of the world, I have it good and so does anyone who's main problem and concern in life is acne.

It's just two different ways of looking at the world and I feel one is more open-minded and promotes some positivity rather than hopeless, defeatist cynicism.

And you've clearly never donated to charities. You can make a difference by donating, especially a million dollars...

Gear head. Theres enough money being put in In stuff like HIV. Giveing acne research a millon dollars. A millon dollars that ain't alot of money anyways to put in to a diease. Remember acne is so shookin off They make you save your own ass. People with other dieases get everything for free.

Being debilitating is not liveing and you know what for some people acne is forever. It can be very very severe giveing constant head aches cause I got them all in my temples. you ever bein a wake the entire night not by choice. You feel just like hell each day.

Getting rid of acne means happiness joy a chance on life again a chance to see what you look like again. To prove genetic tenderics crated by god can be over come. It is a quest and a test on being a serviver.

As for aids. Aids is a diease thats here to teach us a lesson That when we fuck up and get ourself involed with drugs and unprotected sex. Its here to show us you got exactly what you where looking for but you diding care the thrill of pleasure was worth the risk. Now we have an unstanding of our evil dersirers for sere ignorants.

If I had a millon dollars I woulding be so selfeish and give it a way for good times in the street. I give it to the coutless crys that go unhear on acne org each day. You may get a white head hear and there others get golf ball size zits and its a dam shame that people think that person lives a normal life. You know why? Cause thats that persons face they live with it every day. Its also a disfigureing diease.

Gearhead did you read the part that people smiled at his answer and the professer said it was admirable. Finally someone said something to address the dumb ass's out there

It was only a millon freaky dollars to begin with whats the big deal He would have been the frist to ever contribute to acne.

For an acne sufferer to get a load of money like that all of a sudden and to hand it out to friends and have good time with it. Remember this greed is a bad creed. I show never turn a way to my diease and things I have witness to only think of myself I need you all by my side cause you are the closes thing to me. Remember this is our battle to get back what was so wrongfully taking away from us. We knew we where not mental chases until everday life with acne crash in on us. We know once we get rid of acne we will be a better person in every way and prove to quack docters and gear head that this is a very serius thing

For all acne sufferer who took there lives if only someone listen to you. You could have made such a differents in this world.

Take a bow and a breather nike73086 I hope you have made new friends in your class. Just one answer could make others who bein their feel some one cares.

MostExtreme

Again, it probably wasn't the place for me to say this stuff. It's like me going to an AIDS sufferers forum and saying I'd rather donate a million to acne research than to AIDS research.. Although I feel in this case it's a bit more logical, I still understand why people here would disagree with me.

I've been through many emotional ups and downs because of acne but a while ago I stopped caring because I changed my mindset. My life has been better ever since. I realized that the fact that I'm getting down over acne and that it's the main concern in my life doesn't make sense. No, it wasn't some overnight epiphany, it takes work. It inhibits your growth to have acne the MAIN concern in your life and at the same time, you should be thankful its the MAIN concern in your life...

In my case, I've seen people close to me suffer with cancer. Something that acne could NEVER come close to in terms of severity and the pain it brings. I've had family who also had SEVERE cystic acne and they were still able to make a good life for themselves and are still extremely outgoing and positive. It's about overcoming things. Seeing both has given me a lot of perspective on things... It's all about experience and perspective in the end, so I understand why you have the beliefs you do and I'm sorry what you've had to go through.

I respect how you actually answered his question truthfully, you're probably the only one that did.

Thats one of the things I think about saying but never do. You're a more courageous person than me, haha.

It's only a truthful answer if he would actually do that. And honestly, I don't think he would. Nor the majority of us. We can only say we would do these nice deeds because the chances of a million dollars being offered to us is out of the question. It's nice to at least think of it though. But 1 million dollars isn't going to do anything. And why do people think scientists don't look at acne at all? I'm sure they've tried. The conclusion of why acne exists is because of poor diet. It's no coincidence acne hasn't become a huge problem until the era of processed fast food and high fructose corn syrup.

Agreed, awesome answer! Anytime the human heart is moved to give to a cause - reguardless of the amount given or the cause it's given to - it is worth celebrating.

Cheers!

While I admire your answer, to be honest, I do very much doubt that 1 million dollars donated to acne research would make any difference. I am of course missing the big picture.

In well-documented surveys, people would trade skin diseases for type 1 diabetes and heart problems. NEVER freakin underestimate the psychological effects of skin issues.

In well-documented surveys, people would trade skin diseases for type 1 diabetes and heart problems. NEVER freakin underestimate the psychological effects of skin issues.

I have Hodgkin's Disease at age 17 and I still consider acne ten times worse than that.

yeh coz everyone gives a shit about external appearance and looks more than how fked your body is on the inside.

Do they also have type 1 diabeetus and heart disease?

Okay, so I would love to buy crops and sustainable food sources (such as livestock), for those in need. I would NOT donate money to foreign countries, because it does NOT help. Numerous African countries do not accept monetary aid because of various reasons. The exchange rate is not good, or their government takes a large portion of that for 'government programs' and the actual citizens never see a penny. I believe in international aid in the form of crops, livestock, and physical labor. I do not believe in giving starving countries crops that can only flourish with a certain type of insecticide that only the United States (or another 1st or 2nd world country) can provide. That is not purely humanitarian aid....that is selfish aid. Wanting a country to depend upon your country is wrong.

So...I hope to work in humanitiarian endeavors after I finish undergraduate and then graduate school. I also hope to be able to impact developed countries in the ways of recycling. There is NO reason that people should not recycle in this country...besides laziness! That is not an excuse for me, and with the dire need of resuability and our culture of consumption, laws need to be enacted to end this apathy to the environment. We all share this planet, and until fines are created for those who do not recycle...nothing shall be done about the issue.

So yeah. That's what I would do with a million dollars.

Guest missyjean130

Id buy an xbox and gameboy DS, Thats really all I want right now....I guess id save the rest.Meh.

If I donated it...cancer research and AIDS research.

To MostExtreme -

Yes, acne has existed for a very long time but it was never the widespread problem that it is today. It would probably happen to 1 out of every 100 kids 5000 years ago. Since then, it's gotten worse and worse. Now it happens to pretty much everyone. Some of us, just less often and noticeable. No, feeding your baby good foods isn't going to prevent acne, but the horrible food mankind (our ancestors) has eaten is in all of our bloods now. Similar to our inconsistent metabolisms that are also messed up. It's part of the adaptation/evolution process that humans go through. Our great grandparents screwed up our organs and now we're paying for it.

Sorry Nike, but the only people you're going to make happy by donating that million dollars are the scientists who are going to get better benefits because of it. They'll get new computers and offices to work in, but in the end, it's not going to do anything. It's that simple, really. The fund for acne suffers who can't afford Meds is a good idea though, I'll give you that. But if you donate it to science, it will be in vain. But even with the fund idea, that won't last long either. Because of how widespread acne is, and how much meds cost, that million will run out within days/weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping other people. I love that feeling. But donating money like that isn't going to progress much. It might nudge it a bit, but the main problems will still remain. The cure for acne, just as well as the cure for cancer, is still a long ways off. That is, if it even exists. If I really wanted to help fellow acne people and also had a million dollars, I would make myself famous and then become a motivational speaker. Something like Daniel Kern himself, but even his name isn't well known. The problem with acne not really getting that much exposure these days isn't because of lack of money. It's because people with acne never bother to voice their opinion because they're always so scared. If you think about it, Jessica Simpson is like the most well-known spokesperson for acne. That's not good at all. Acne is an awkward conversation to talk about. It's worse then obesity, addictions, and STD's. Okay, maybe not STD's actually. But still.

I'd spend it all on beer, scotch, wine and hookers.

Well, maybe not the hookers, but definitely on the booze. I'll pickle my liver in peaty awesomeness :D

Hmm, I guess that's the same thing I do now anyway, so it doesn't matter

The best most sophicasted and mindblowing answer would be "burn it". The reason is to create and destroy at the same time. Only with money can this feat ever be done. It can't be done with anything else. Take a chair for example, you can burn it, but you aren't creating anything positive. Same goes with any other object - inanimate or not. But with money, by burning it, you are destroying what isn't real. By doing this you are creating something.

acne research isnt gonna do shit.

but i agree, a worthwile cause would be making a fund for acne sufferers who cant afford accutane, antibioticsc, etc..