Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all,

I've been taking accutane for nearly 3 months now (20mgs/day) and drink quite alot. IN fact im hungover right now. arrgh. Am wondering what the deal is with alcohol and accutane. My derm never mentioned it, but I was concerned so ended up asking the nurse there who said that alcohol only reduced the efficacy of accutane because they are both processed by the liver. So she said it's all good if I take my pill in the morning if am planning on drinking alcohol at night.

Except i read on the net that alcohol wont affect the efficacy of accutane, but can cause liver malfunction or something?

If anyone has any reliable info about this that they can share that'd be great; don't want to do myself any permanent harm...

Yep - my derm said drinking alcohol on accutane is fine, just so long as it's in moderation. It's not really doing your liver any favours, though!

Be careful about drinking before blood tests - I've seen people have to go off Accutane for a while until their blood test came back normal again.

Stick to the accutane and fuck the alcohol. Now you got to problems acne and a drinking habit. One is your fault the other is not. there are some many other ways to deal with an emotional escape from the pain of acne.

Who says this person is drinking to escape the pain of acne? Some people like to drink because they enjoy the taste of alcohol and enjoy being in that type of social setting. An alcoholic is defined as someone that drinks on a daily basis, they HAVE to HAVE ALCOHOL to function on a daily basis. Drinking a few nights a week does not constitute a person being an alcoholic.

I think I'd just tone it down a bit. Get a good buzz once a while and leave it there. The doctor can see if you have been drinking recently through your blood tests.

I think it's best not to drink while on this stuff. I know people that have bad livers and their life sucks. Not worth the risk in my opinion and I love to drink! If you can't stop than you have bigger issues to address.

Haha guys don't worry you aren't gonna see me staggering round drinking out of a bottle in a brown paper bag; didn't mean to imply I have some kind of problem, or drown my emotional sorrows in alcohol! Just live with a bunch of students so drinking is usually a regular fixture during the week. Thanks for the lecture anyway MostExtreme. Way to spread the word.

I haven't noticed any extra adverse effects from alcohol during my course of accutane, so think it varies between people. But I like my liver too much to do it too much long-term damage, so think I'm gonna be more careful. Thanks for the input, my derm never told me to avoid alcohol, nor did it say that in my accutane info book. Seems stupid to omit something like that, if it could cause some kinda permanent damage!