Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Q_P

Is this acne or some sort of rash? (pics included)

I typically get a pretty decent amount of inflammatory acne and I have sensitive skin, but this is something I haven't gotten before.

Chin

Cheek

It's not nearly as red as in the pictures, but it's itchy, dry, rough, raised a bit above the skin, and mostly flat instead of acne-bumpy. The only change in my regimen I've made recently is taking an acidophilus (probiotic) supplement 2x a day, so I'm gonna stop that and see if it helps, since this stuff appeared a few days after I started that. I tried using a tea tree oil ointment that is supposed to soothe irritation, but it's not doing much. I dunno what to try next :(

Ouch! That looks like it's really hurts. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a rash. Are you eating any new types of foods? It could be an allergic reaction, like I get on my leg when I eat too much wheat or yeast.

Ouch! That looks like it's really hurts. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a rash. Are you eating any new types of foods? It could be an allergic reaction, like I get on my leg when I eat too much wheat or yeast.
Well, I did eat two bags of bagel chips with sea salt over the past few days, and a box of Hot Tamales (the first really sugary food I've had in months), but I've had both of those before without any reaction. Luckily, this doesn't hurt; it's just itchy and angry looking!

I had something similar for a while on my forehead. Red, flaky, itchy skin that wouldnt go away even after using moisturizers and creams. Turned out it was a contact dermatitis- caused by hair gel of all things. BP also causes something similar when i use it on sensitive areas of my face.

Basically, see if a low strength hydrocortisone cream works to soothe it. If it does, then youve got yourself a dermatitis- which is being caused by something thats irritating your face. It could well be a simple rash, that will shift with time- but if it IS dermatitis, then its best to cut things out of your regimen one by one until you find the culprit. T

the thing is, ive been using hair gel since i was 8- In alot of cases allergic dermatitis can develop over time as your skin gradually hypersensitises (if thats a real word!) to a chemical or product. So dont just look at ingredients youve only used recently.

As ACDC1 says, you could well be allergic to something your eating, which is why its probably best to get it checked out by a derm or doctor, who could help you distinguish between a simple rash, dermatitis or allergic reaction. Hope that helps a bit.

Tom.