Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What additional ingredients are in the vitamin a pills? they might irritating...

happy b-day! forget about acne!

Thanks! And don't worry, I don't worry about it when in public :D. Except for things like the beach etc - i'll never take my top off :P.

Talking of the pills...

The A:

• Soya Bean Oil
  • Capsule Shell (Gelatine, Glycerine)
  • Halibut Liver Oil (source of Vitamins A and D)
  • Vitamin A (as Retinyl Palmitate)
  • Allergy Advice: Contains (or contains an ingredient/s derived from) fish and soya.

The D:

• Bulking Agents (Dicalcium Phosphate, Microcrystalline Cellulose)
  • Gelatine
  • Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose <- what a name!
  • Anti-Caking Agent (Magnesium Stearate)
  • Glycerine
  • Sodium Citrate
  • Vitamin D
  • Allergy Advice: Contains soya

To my knowledge i'm not allergic to soya... I'd know if I was, right? :D

edit: I found some interesting things:

Subjects in the EUROSCAN study were given 300,000 IU/day of vitamin A for one year followed by 150,000 IU/day for the second year. Typical side effects were mucocutaneous ones including dryness, desquamation, itching, bleeding and hair loss. Hepatotoxicity has been reported in one patient who took 25,000 IU/day of vitamin A over a six-year period.

I once met a doctor who took 50,000 IU per day for 25 years without apparent adverse effects. He was a large bodied man. His opinion was that vitamin A is a very important nutrient for health and disease resistance and that the RDA is ridiculously low. I also found one study of a small bodied female who developed symptoms of vitamin A toxicity after taking 25,000 IU per day for two years.

Interesting tbh :). The problem I see with Vitamin A and taking it for acne is - everyone's different. It's just as safe, and as dangerous as buying Accutane and taking that without doctor's supervision. The problem is - Vitamin A is a lot easier to obtain, so more people are likely to jump on the band wagon and do it (if it works)!

ed: wahoo, just noticed i've now made enough posts to be 'member' and not 'new member' anymore. It only took 4 years! hah :D.

Hello everyone,

I've purchased two bottles of NOW Ultra A&D3 and the profile looks like this.

Vitamin A from Halibut 10,000

Beta-Carotene (pro vitamin a 9mg) 15,000

Vitamin D3 1,000

Per capsule

And I have been taking 10 capsules per day for 3 days now, today included.

Vitamin A 100,000iu

beta-carotene 150,000iu

vitamin d3 10,000iu

Lastnight, I had a terrible pain in my chest that felt like I was being impaled. It interfered with my sleep for about an hour, and caused major irritation. Tonight, I had an upset stomach for a few hours now.

So my question is, could there be any correlation between these instances lastnight and tonight and these high doses? I thought I remember reading that beta carotene is safe even in high amounts, and the only sign of overdose on that would be orangish skin. If this supplement is unsafe to take for the regimen, then I'll find some other product of natural Vitamin A to take.

Thanks

Strike two, and I'm not even waiting around for the next one. I'm pulling out now, it's 3am in the morning here. I haven't slept at all the last hour. I have such terrible pains in my stomach, perhaps my liver. The upset pain feeling you have when you consume too much alcohol, then debate whether you should puke to make yourself feel better. Too bad for me though, if I puke. Then that wouldn't do a damn bit of good. I don't think these two nights are just coincidental either, it's the Vitamin A. So now I hope I make it until morning, then I guess see about getting a liver test done sometime shortly.

Im on accutane but a low dose (i've only taken 120mg total so far) I've always been a bit leery of taking it to begin with.

Do you think I should stop and try this instead?

since you have already started the accutane process and know you can get it through your derm, you have the option to tell him you decided to wait or changed your mind for the moment. As he can always put you right back on it.

Take note this is an experimental treatment, and not proven the way it should be proven, but by all probability it could help you as the reasoning behind it is fairly decent. even hypothesis that are well reasoned can produce limited results, so just be aware that this is experimental, but even accutane is experimental when you think about it as its succes varies from patient to patient but has a decent track record for results.

Im on accutane but a low dose (i've only taken 120mg total so far) I've always been a bit leery of taking it to begin with.

Yes definitely, the best way to cure your acne is diet and no chemicals on face, vit A and D could help but too much is risky.

we are loooking for causation, not bandaids or interventions.

Is diet a bandaid for you?

since you have already started the accutane process and know you can get it through your derm, you have the option to tell him you decided to wait or changed your mind for the moment. As he can always put you right back on it.

Take note this is an experimental treatment, and not proven the way it should be proven, but by all probability it could help you as the reasoning behind it is fairly decent. even hypothesis that are well reasoned can produce limited results, so just be aware that this is experimental, but even accutane is experimental when you think about it as its succes varies from patient to patient but has a decent track record for results.

Yes definitely, the best way to cure your acne is diet and no chemicals on face, vit A and D could help but too much is risky.

we are loooking for causation, not bandaids or interventions.

Is diet a bandaid for you?

pretty much, but less so.

Strike two, and I'm not even waiting around for the next one. I'm pulling out now, it's 3am in the morning here. I haven't slept at all the last hour. I have such terrible pains in my stomach, perhaps my liver. The upset pain feeling you have when you consume too much alcohol, then debate whether you should puke to make yourself feel better. Too bad for me though, if I puke. Then that wouldn't do a damn bit of good. I don't think these two nights are just coincidental either, it's the Vitamin A. So now I hope I make it until morning, then I guess see about getting a liver test done sometime shortly.

I highly doubt it's the vitamin A. I've never had a nauseous feeling in taking vitamin A (and I've taken up to 720,000IU/day). It's easier to take vitamin A with butter since it has lecithin, which acts as an emulsifier. But then again I took a lot of vitamin D as well (up to 70,000 IU/day).

I highly doubt it's the vitamin A. I've never had a nauseous feeling in taking vitamin A (and I've taken up to 720,000IU/day). It's easier to take vitamin A with butter since it has lecithin, which acts as an emulsifier. But then again I took a lot of vitamin D as well (up to 70,000 IU/day).

post a pic!!!! I want to see your skin.

I read in certain studies that accutane affects the eyes photo receptors in the eye or something like that, people usually lose night vision and have a hard time falling asleep. Perhaps this is similar or just coincidence.

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't have a digital camera. The only one I have is on my cell phone and it doesn't really show details too clearly.

dingo what do you have to say about diary aggravating acne? and you promote drinking milk is good for you.

I don't believe dairy promotes acne for most people. Yes there are hormones and such, but even raw milk from pasture has hormones as well. The reason why I promote milk is because it's high in 4 things: calcium, phosphorus, saturated fat, and high quality protein (not to mention cholesterol and other vitamins). These are things that your body needs. Granted most cows are fed corn, which isn't the best food to give them, but usually I'll buy milk from a local health store that is pasture fed. Milk is nature's perfect food for us. It's got the right balance of carbs, fats, and proteins and minerals to boot.

But while there was a study done that links milk to acne, it specifically stated skim milk. Skim milk is much different than whole milk, and I'm not just talking about the fact that it's fat free either. Skim milk has to be dried from whole milk, and butterfat is needed for calcium metabolism. Plus vitamin A cannot be absorbed as readily since the fat has been taken out. Additionally skim milk has a high glycemic index (if you're into the GI/GL kind of thing). Skim milk is neurotoxic and is basically not a natural food. That's why I will never drink it. Plus it tastes like water anyways.

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't have a digital camera. The only one I have is on my cell phone and it doesn't really show details too clearly.

dingo what do you have to say about diary aggravating acne? and you promote drinking milk is good for you.

I don't believe dairy promotes acne for most people. Yes there are hormones and such, but even raw milk from pasture has hormones as well. The reason why I promote milk is because it's high in 4 things: calcium, phosphorus, saturated fat, and high quality protein (not to mention cholesterol and other vitamins). These are things that your body needs. Granted most cows are fed corn, which isn't the best food to give them, but usually I'll buy milk from a local health store that is pasture fed. Milk is nature's perfect food for us. It's got the right balance of carbs, fats, and proteins and minerals to boot.

But while there was a study done that links milk to acne, it specifically stated skim milk. Skim milk is much different than whole milk, and I'm not just talking about the fact that it's fat free either. Skim milk has to be dried from whole milk, and butterfat is needed for calcium metabolism. Plus vitamin A cannot be absorbed as readily since the fat has been taken out. Additionally skim milk has a high glycemic index (if you're into the GI/GL kind of thing). Skim milk is neurotoxic and is basically not a natural food. That's why I will never drink it. Plus it tastes like water anyways.

that's what I'm afraid of... organic grass fed cow's whole milk is expensive (like 10 bucks 4 liters) and I want to drink milk again to gain weight.. just waiting til I move out and do some grocery shopping

thanks for your reply it helps a lot

I spent half of yesterday in the emergency room, and now this morning all the aches and pains in my lower abdomen have intensifed greatly. They actually thought I was trying to hurt myself taking this much vitamin A.

For the love of god man, if you feel even the slightest discomfort then stop taking it. Common sense, you have to be careful this is powerful stuff.

I'll be honest. I have suspicions about this "Milk Thistle" guy/girl. S/he only joins for 2 days so far and made only 3 posts...all in this topic.

It seems like this person has some ill-intent to criticize this. I mean seriously, emergency room for half a day? Sounds like a hocus-pocus (sp?) scare tactic. 100,000 IU/day? Already sick? Please. I'm 116 lbs. and took 725,000 IU/day and I have HBV. I should've been dead yet I've taken massive amounts of vitamin A and D for 5.5 months now.

But anyways, IYAM I think vitamin D has a more profound impact on acne than vitamin A. Though they are equally as important to health overall, the fact that the body can store vitamin A more easily than D tells me that a "10 to 1 ratio" of A to D might be a bit high. Let's say our ancestors did eat a lot of vitamin A, and according to Weston A Price they probably consumed about 40,000 to 60,000 IU/day. But they were also outside. And the body can produce anywhere from 20,000 to 60,000 IU of vitamin D per day. That's almost a 1 to 1 ratio in some cases! So while rickets was cured with cod liver oil (then again 200 IU prevents rickets) on a 10 to 1 ratio of A to D, that doesn't necessarily mean that 10 to 1 is the ideal ratio. Additionally they (the tribes studied by Price) got a few thousand IU of vitamin D from food as well in addition to the vitamin D from the sun. So who knows. I don't know what the ideal ratio is, but I'm sure that 10 to 1 of A to D is a bit high. I think 3 to 1 is more suitable for amounts less than 100,000 IU (vitamin A) and 50,000 (vitamin D) IU.

Dude get a disposable digital camera at CVS they're like $15!

The only problem with disposable cameras is the poor resolution. Remember, my problem was large pores and oily skin, not pimples.

If there's one thing i've learned, is to not mess with the body's natural balance. You'll be better of in the long run and i think that would bring far more positives than negatives.

Megadosing on vitamin A is a dangerous thing and I myself kind of think of it as ridiculous. If it has indded worked for you then great I am so happy for you. But then again, that is a huge risk you took and im glad that there are no negative implications upon your body.

heyyyyy this is my first post! woo wooo!! yaaaa but i have moderate acne maybve moderatetly severe and im 17. I have never taken any treatment. I hyave just kinda dealt with acne, anyway i dont wnana get to detailed. i wanna get rid of acne internally i never liked the idea of creams and gels. Im thinking of accutane, but this idea is similar to accutane i was wondering which one is safer and which one should i do? thankss! ii hope someone sees this!

howiclearedmyacne.blogspot.com/2007/09/why-doesnt-proactive-work.html

oh this is pretty cool check this out he has pics too :D

Interesting topic.

I'm currently following a regimen that's loosely based on NDNRomeo's EFA/EVOO combo. I'm taking 1 tsp of Carlson's CLO with my last meal in the evening (around 6 or 7 pm) with good results... but not great. The ratio of A to D is between 1.75 and 3 to 1 (due to the amount of retinol naturally occuring in the cod that was used for that particular bottle).

Should I increase my intake to 2 tsp's or maybe even 1 tbsp per day? Assuming I take 1 tbsp, that would be 3,600 IU of A (retinol) and 1,200 IU of D (cholecalciferol).

Advice is appreciated.

-Cleric

PS. My acne has gone from moderate to mild over the past 4 years thanks to a complete diet overhaul, employing a KISS method of washing my face (standard shower in the morning and a splash of warm water w/ sea salt at night), and incorporating EVOO and EFA's as a supplement.

hey dingo, i read earlier in this thread that someone was brought to a doctor's office and the doctors thought that the person in question was intending self-harm...if i have a doctor's appointment and they take my blood (which i may need after a couple of months on luvox), how can i make sure that the vitamin a levels are back to normal by the time i have the withdrawal? do i need to detox, and if so, how much time should i give it?

also, how much time did it take before your skin got less oily after starting retinol/choleciferol supplement?

Hey guys, I just got out of the hospital on friday. Around the time I started my Vitamin A&D regimen, I started getting appendicitus. In the hospital my first time they couldn't detect it, and sent me home for the night in agonizing pain. The next day I went to a different doctor who diagnosed me with what I actually had. I was rushed to the ER in the next county, by then it ruptured and had gangrene already settling in. So my body didn't react badly to the vitamins, just had other symptoms spur up around the same time I started taking them. Good luck with this everyone.

holy shit milk tistle, you could've died. That's so but so irresponsible from that first doctor

glad you're alive

Should I increase my intake to 2 tsp's or maybe even 1 tbsp per day? Assuming I take 1 tbsp, that would be 3,600 IU of A (retinol) and 1,200 IU of D (cholecalciferol).