Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
special

Too many antibiotics, Too few...oh dear?

I'm playing around with different regimens right now.

I'm doing the baby brush exfoliation method using hibiclens, I've been prescribed to take antibiotics for about 3 weeks, and I'm also using Duac which has a topical antibiotic in it. Do you guys feel that this is too many antibiotics which will eventually have a negative effect?

I'm only planning on taking the oral antibiotics once a day for around 3 weeks. I've been hearing that you should ween on antibiotics instead of just stopping. My doctor has prescribed me one refill so should I use that to ween off the antibiotic instead of stopping cold Turkey?

Yes, you are right in not stopping cold turkey, and it's great that you're chosing to come off them! I'm guessing that you're also supplementing with probiotics to replenish the good bacteria that was killed off with the antiobiotics?

I'm playing around with different regimens right now.

I'm doing the baby brush exfoliation method using hibiclens, I've been prescribed to take antibiotics for about 3 weeks, and I'm also using Duac which has a topical antibiotic in it. Do you guys feel that this is too many antibiotics which will eventually have a negative effect?

I'm only planning on taking the oral antibiotics once a day for around 3 weeks. I've been hearing that you should ween on antibiotics instead of just stopping. My doctor has prescribed me one refill so should I use that to ween off the antibiotic instead of stopping cold Turkey?

Oral antibiotics are very dangerous when used for acne. Stopping them would be a good idea, there is a bit of a debate as to whether you should stop cold turkey or through weening - weening might be a better idea in order to minimize the breakout you'll have from stopping them.

As for the Duac I think it's the same as Clindoxyl here in Canada - a mix of Clindamycin and BP in a gel. Gels are great in this way because the skin doesn't absorb it like a cream so you're pretty safe using that.

finnish off your course of antibiotics and let your doctor evalulate what is the next course.

what antibiotics are you taking? because one pill a day for 3 weeks is a very short course.

suddenly stopping might cause resistance strains which will screw you over because that antibiotic will be useless.