Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remag42

Um...has anybody actually stopped using BP and not gotten acne?

I mean sure it keeps you in control, but what if everyone who uses it must use it forever, because their skin depends on it. This could be very very bad.

I mean sure it keeps you in control, but what if everyone who uses it must use it forever, because their skin depends on it. This could be very very bad.

remag 42

If uve been using BP for quite a while chances are ull breakout because ur skin will get used to it. so its not smart to stop using the BP for any time. ;)

I firmly believe that bp prohibits your skins natural ability to grow out of acne. I started using it when i was 20, now i am 25. Last year i tried quitting and had the worst breakout of my life, and the type of acne was far more severe then anything i had previously gotten.

I knew many people that actually had worse acne then me back then when i first decided to treat, they didn't treat their's and now every one of them has perfect skin. If i could do it all over again, no treatments would have ever touched my skin.

i was a proactiv user for a good 3-4 years and it mainly contains bp. i stopped using the regimen and switched over to something else and it broke me out like crazy! i've never looked so bad in my life and recently i just swtiched to dan's regimen and it still got worse. now i just stopped everything and used what my doctor prescribed me. now my skin has stopped breaking out. so if u are thinking of stop using bp, be prepared for the worst breakout of ur life. i was lucky to find somethin that worked for my face.. but definitely ask your family doctor for something that would work for u =)

There was a point last year where I went sans BP for about 2 weeks - I broke out badly. I'm okay with the idea of using BP for the rest of my life if it keeps me clear...

I recently decided to quite using BP, I've only been using it for about 4 weeks because I'd like to experiment with more organic methods to see what happens. I've been using SC a lot longer so I'm hoping I don't break out when I stop using that.

I think the less amount of time you've used it the less severe the break out will be. It's not all that great anyway in my opinion.

This is an interesting question that has come up many times before. I don't know of any formal studies about long term effects of bp that has addressed this but there always seems to be a large majority of people here that talk about bad breakouts when stopping. Obviously if someone's acne is cured they're unlikely to even be here so a poll isn't very indicative of anything but I admit that it is something I've found a bit disconcerting.

Combine the above sentiments with the fact that it is a harsh skin cream in that it dries out skin, makes skin more sensitive to sun, and sometimes even gets blamed for being a possible cancer agent. This puts the acne sufferer that thought they found refuge with bp in an uneasy situation.

Of course, any idea of bp being "addictive" in that it somehow affects skin to the point that skin can't properly function without it is hearsay at this point. What we do know is that bp does what it does very well but anytime you drastically change a regime you had used for years your skin is going to be set off its assumed balance however temporary or long term. I think we (speaking on behalf of chemists, researchers, manufacturers, Dan, the community, everyone) should absolutely keep on looking to improve our understanding of how acne works and how to best medicate it. On the bright side I feel we've been making important progress so far...

The only way you would not get acne again after stopping DKR is:

1) you outgrew acne

2) you replace DKR with another effective treatment

Basically, if you have acne prone skin and you stop using the treatment that has been keeping the acne at bay, then your skin is going to breakout. There is nothing to prevent the acne from forming anymore. DKR is a preventive treatment.

BP has not disabled your skins ability to stay clear, because your skin did not have that ability to begin with. There is no evidence to support that BP prevents people from growing out of acne either. I suppose it is possible, but then the other option is dealing with current acne and any possibly scarring. Personally, I'll take my chances and treat it with topicals.

BTW, I am off BP right now and effectively treating my acne with retin-a once a day. My skin did not go haywire when I went of BP. It looks better than ever, but of course I did not go cold turkey off any treatment.

I have no idea what is going on with my face. I stopped BP for a week a few months ago, and my forehead erupted with pimples. I started the DKR again and it cleared up. I stopped again, but after 3+ weeks, I had no acne on my forehead. It looked like my acne had spread to my cheek area, but it was not as bad as my forehead. I'm on Retin-A now, and I hope this works.

1) you outgrew acne

But the point is you will never naturally outgrow acne while using bp, nobody ever has. Yet people who don't use treatment always seem to outgrow their acne in their early-mid 20's.

what are you guys saying? bp isnt some magical serum that completely changes the structure of your skin cells. bp is just a simple antibacterial and drying agent, nothing more. hell, it doesnt even dry after a while, so it just becomes the former. i would understand if someone became dependent on retin-a or something (considering how it accelerates the shedding cycle), but not BP.

is the regimen even that old? its silly to be talking about regimen users growing out of acne when its only been a few years.

The regimen has been around for maybe 10 years, but BP has been around a long looonng time. Anyway, you don't have to agree with what i am saying, but its true ;)

Darn, this is what I feared.

I have been on the regimen for just over a year. On occassion I havent used BP for a few days, no major breakout, but I'm afraid to go longer than that without it.

How long after stopping did you experience the major breakout?

For me it was about 6 or 8 weeks after i quit i had a major breakout. But after the first week, my forehead got really really itchy and became full of those little milia(i think they are called, just google image it to see what i mean). The breakout i had basically occured over night as well. I woke up one morning and my brother asked "why is your forehead so red?". I looked in the mirror and didn't think anything of it because it was just a solid flat red patch about 1/3rd the size of my forehead so i figured it was the way i slept. By the next morning that solid red patch was completely full of those big painful inflamed papules.

1) you outgrew acne

But the point is you will never naturally outgrow acne while using bp, nobody ever has. Yet people who don't use treatment always seem to outgrow their acne in their early-mid 20's.

I think if you go off anything your going to break out for a while, but if youve grown out of the acne you will clear up.

I know lots of people who were on acne treatments, went off them , broke out for a month or 2, and then cleared up.

1) you outgrew acne

It may seem that way to you because of what you've heard from people. However, there is no official study of any kind to support that. Maybe it is possible, but right now it is just your own idea based on anecdotal evidence.

My aunt, by the way, used BP to treat her acne and she grew out of acne in her late 20s. So yes, you can treat acne and still grow out of it someday. I'm not writing off the possibility you suggested, but not everyone who uses BP does not grow out of acne. As with any medication, easing off it slowly seems to be the best way to know.

I wouldn't stop using any treatment until I got into my twenties. I am currently fifteen. However, my dad had acne and said he only had it during freshman and sophmore year of high school, and after that it was minimal. I am currently a sophmore, so I'm hoping the treatment won't make me last longer, but people have to grow out of it sometime (unless they've got some type of adult acne).

I've known people to grow out of it. My mom and sister both grew out of it, so im hoping i will do likewise. My sister got rid of it at 16, and im 15 as of next week, so i hope i just have 1 more year.

But i'd be okay with using BP for the rest of my life. 30 minutes in the morning is nothing.

I stopped using BP entirely for this past week and instead completely avoid picking whatsoever, and using a SA cleanser every morning and evening. This is mainly so my redmarks stop being so vibrant, but I've noticed my skin itself is calming down over time.

I firmly believe that bp prohibits your skins natural ability to grow out of acne. I started using it when i was 20, now i am 25. Last year i tried quitting and had the worst breakout of my life, and the type of acne was far more severe then anything i had previously gotten.

I knew many people that actually had worse acne then me back then when i first decided to treat, they didn't treat their's and now every one of them has perfect skin. If i could do it all over again, no treatments would have ever touched my skin.

If that's true, then Dan would be in some trouble. I sure hope I can still grow out of this.

I have been on the regimen for just over a year. On occassion I havent used BP for a few days, no major breakout, but I'm afraid to go longer than that without it.

I was almost perfectly clear on BP, (been on it for a year), decided that I must be growing out because my skin was clear. Wrong! 1 week of sensitive skin soap with no BP and I had the worst cystic breakout I have ever had.

I was almost perfectly clear on BP, (been on it for a year), decided that I must be growing out because my skin was clear. Wrong! 1 week of sensitive skin soap with no BP and I had the worst cystic breakout I have ever had.

So was your post BP break out a lot worse than your acne before starting BP?