Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moonwalker

Final decision - Accutane or Antibiotics

I had a light-severe acne, then I was on accutane for 6 months (3 months 40mg/day 3 months/20 mg/day) and then I was clear for a while (almost a year) and it came back again. Now it is very light (approx. 1 pimple a day) but the pimple often leave a red mark :( Anyway I think I will try accutane again because after the 1st course my acne, even though it came back, is much less severe. Hopefully after a second course it will go away completely.

I will consult my derm before I do anything. So far they've suggested an antibiotic. I am not sure antibiotics are better than accutane. Furthermore they have much more side effects. They offered me Minocycline and Doxycycline. I remember while i was on accutane the only problems I had were lips dryness and a little pain in the knees.

However I want your opinion as doctors as we know are not always right. My acne is caused solely because of impurities in the skin. No impurities and I have almost no acne. I cannot keep impurities out though as my pores always get blocked bla bla you know the story. So the reason I think accutane is better is:

- less side effects

- been on it and my acne even though it came back is times lighter so a second course my remove it permanently.

It would be great for you to have a second course of Accutane, but unfortunately it's a strong prescription med that didn't completely erase your problem the first time, so they might be unwilling to prescribe it to you a second time, now that your acne is light and it didn't completely work the first time.

I would suggest going on a second course, if the first course calmed down your severe acne maybe a 2nd course will completely clear you. I think accutane works better at clearing acne than an antibiotic ever could but every person reacts differently to the meds. Anti-biotics did nothing for me but give me an upset stomach. Personally I would take accutane over antibiotics any day.

Was your dose for accutane only 20 mg a day or 20 mg twice a day for the last three months? Because if it was only 20 mg a day that is rather low. So I would suggest possibly going on accutane again with a higher dosage.