Notifications
Clear all

How to make skin glow on Accutane?

MemberMember
(@gettheglow)

Posted : 08/27/2008 3:31 am

I'm about to go on a second course of Accutane and am really concerned this time about keeping my skin condition as healthy as possible. I scarred a lot in my previous course and my skin was always dull and flaky, and while I'm doing glycolic peels and using copper serum in between courses, I want to find some things that'll keep my skin (relatively) radiant and hopefully continue to diminish visible scarring while I'm on tane again...

any ideas? Can I continue to use Copper Serum while on tane?

MemberMember
(@deadbeat007)

Posted : 08/27/2008 4:57 am

I think peels might be too rough on your skin while you're on Accutane. Try keeping your skin moisturized, and start gently exfoliating (I hear the baby brush method is great) to keep the skin as flake-free as possible. I'm pale and can get a little washed out, so I use a very, very light cream tanner to give my skin a bit of a glow.

Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@sunrise25)

Posted : 08/27/2008 7:31 am

I agree with DB -- peels will be too rough for your skin

If the copper serum doesnt really dry you out or clog pores then you might be able to continue using it. Just check with your derm to make sure.

It's probably best to just do as little as possible to your skin while on tane.

Do you mind sharing how the peels and serum has been for you? Do they have a lon recovery time and have they really helped?

MemberMember
(@tazzor)

Posted : 08/27/2008 3:12 pm

Yes, although this probably belongs in the Scar Treatment forum, but Im also wondering how peel has worked out for u.... Does a layer of your skin pretty much come out? I would lose all my red marks / light scars?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@samj)

Posted : 08/27/2008 5:11 pm

same here...would love to more about the peels. i'm on my 2nd month of tane and i have lots of old scars. already wondering what i can do about them after i finish tane. thanks!

MemberMember
(@gettheglow)

Posted : 08/27/2008 7:45 pm

thanks for the help so far! I'd love to share what the peels/serum have done so far:

So actually I guess you're supposed to do peels at least 6 months after finishing tane.. but I got too impatient :P so I actually started like two months afterward (my skin seemed back to normal but that was risky..)

I started with a 30% at-home glycolic peel and have done about 7-8 treatments so far, once a week. There's no downtime--you won't see a layer of skin visibly peel off--but my skin was especially glowy and fresh-looking in the days following. It took about 3 treatments to start seeing a difference, but so far a lot of my orange-peel looking skin looks a LOT more refined, a LOT of the more noticable red marks have faded (before the peels I had kind of an almost TIE-DYE marble look, just sort of gross red/purple coloring everywhere), and my skin looks a lot clearer. I also think it helps keep mild acne at bay. I used to use foundation and concealer all over my face just for the red marks, now I only need concealer on my major active acne.

One thing though is that the 30% is a bit too mild for my skin now--it seems to have adjusted/acclimated to it--so I'll probably take a small break, then move up to a higher concentration (NOT while on accutane!!) SO BE SURE to start mild, especially if you've done accutane, like 1-3 minutes on a mild percentage, then gradually move up to longer times/higher concentrations as your skin adjusts.

At the same time I'm also using Super Cop Serum and emu oil at night (I tried the cream, which seemed more powerful but clogged my pores) and this LacSal serum in the morning, cause if you do peels with copper serum I think it's supposed to speed up the process.

But the process is slow (as always.. I guess we've learned to have to be patient people!) and will take at least a couple months to get really visible results. but I think it's definitely worth it.

let me know if you have more questions!

MemberMember
(@sunrise25)

Posted : 08/28/2008 6:59 pm

Thanks soo much for the info and tips!

I'll probably look into light peels after Im done with tane just as a sort of maintenance thing and because I'd love to get that 'glow' :)

I heard great things about Emu oil too so will prob give it a try at some point -- all natural is usually good!

MemberMember
(@nicole-schuch)

Posted : 02/21/2014 11:30 am

I am using eye rid serum for make my skin glowing if you want glowing skin naturally use a eye rid serum it will remove the dead skin so your fresh new skin will be glowing