Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hoOk

redness, cysts, itchyness

Hi... Andy, I'm 21...

I've been suffering with cystic acne since i was about 15 years old.... its completely ruined my life in every way possible.

I want to rule the world some day... but I cant even go out into public with out fear of people looking at my messed up face... i have so much passion do do things with my life... but my face is the biggest hindrance.

I've been seeing my dermatologist since I was 16, I think.

No treatment has ever worked for me except injections of steroids/cortisone or whatever it is to get the swelling down. And that is not a cure.

I also have Crohns Disease... (cannot take accutane because of this)

I've been on antibiotics so much that they make me almost crap myself if i cough... literally... it sounds funny but its not... my stomach just can't take the drugs anymore.

I've also been on a million topical regimes and NONE work for me... they dry out my skin so its chapped and flaking and do nothing but increase the redness.

I've used special moisturizers... but they don't help much for the chapping....

I'm 21 now, I can't even enjoy a beer with my dad... If I take a few sips of a beer, my face instantly starts itching like crazy.. I've never heard of this... is this common? It seems like i break out after I have a drink as well....

I've also tried 4 treatments of photodynamic therapy (PDT) at $400 bucks a pop and that was over the last 4 months... as you can tell it did absolutely nothing.

I was looking into other acne treatments... I found that drug Spironolactone. It seems to work wonders for people... But I guess its mostly used for females?

Can guys use it? Is it safe?

I honestly don't know how to live with this anymore...

post-81849-1219813153_thumb.jpg

post-81849-1219813153_thumb.jpg

Hey, im 17 and i have kinda the same acne you do but a little more severe. Ive been suffering from acne for 5 years and those topical meds only make it worse. Judging by your pic i think you should try washing with just water and not apply any meds cus (if u arnt already) many washes are filled with crap that irratates the skin. I started only washing with water a week ago and now im getting less breakouts and my face looks much better.

I was going to recommend accutane until you said you had Crohn's disease :\

Maybe you could get an allergy test. You could have a food intolerance. I know a lot of people seem to have good luck drinking green smoothies. Check out the Nutrition board for that one. Wish I could be of more help.. hang in there. Even though I can't see your eyes, you look cute!

I was going to recommend accutane until you said you had Crohn's disease :\

Maybe you could get an allergy test. You could have a food intolerance. I know a lot of people seem to have good luck drinking green smoothies. Check out the Nutrition board for that one. Wish I could be of more help.. hang in there. Even though I can't see your eyes, you look cute!

Actually I've been on a million different diets... They thought I had Siliac Spru (or however its spelled) before they figured out it was crohns.

So i had to cut out everything made with wheat... which was everrrrrrrrything. i also tried no soda or sweets... no help....

TBH I don't think its a dietary matter too much... I eat OK

Does anyone know about that Spironolactone for males?

Dude, I beg you, please read the book The Maker's diet. It's by Jordan Rubin who suffered from Crohn's disease as well and he completely cured himself. I've read it several times and it is extremely logical and makes a whole lot of sense. Granted, it's not tailored for acne sufferers, but it may get you to a point where taking accutane is an option. Best of luck.

Change the derm....

thanks man, i will check it out.

i went to the docs yesterday... i had to get some cortisone(i think) shots in my face to help the cysts go down...

he also started me on some prednisolone... 6 day treatment... he said if that helped, we would continue a low dosage of that for a while.

if this does not work i'm going to an endocrinologist

Hey there, I am sorry to hear you are in such a predicament. You say that you have tried various topical treatments, but, do you mind me asking if you have tried one called Zineryt?

If not please give it a try, it practically cured my acne and I honestly cannot believe how well it worked. Even my docotr was sceptical but it worked which was was the main thing. All i can sy is ask your doc if you can at least try it - you have nothing to lose - good luck man.

I figured i'd update you with my progress... i had 4 shots in my face of a steroid.... directly in the cysts... that cut the swelling down a lot...

and ive been on methylprednisolone for ONE day now, 6 tablets a day the first day then slowly decreasing day by day for 6 days...

I think there is a huge difference already.... my face is half cleared up! i cant wait until next week to see the results!

if this works, my doc says hes gonna put me on a low dosage of this steroid...

but yeah, Check the new picture i attatched

Sebaceous gland hyperplasia seems to underly Acne. I am showing (in my thread that I started) that UV rays are part of the issue with sebaceous gland hyperplasia. I am also showing that UV rays also trigger "Vitamin D" synthesis, which can work to block the effectiveness of the immune system. Therefore I am concluding (with a perfect line of Acne on my face, stopping at my collar, to prove it), that UV rays are the cause of sebaceous gland hyperplasia, and that seems to be underlying in people with Acne.

50 days without UV exposure, and the bumps are only just starting to smooth out! It is one serious condition. However, one can not argue with my "perfect line" of Acne from UV exposure!

I have Zouboulis and Boschnakow (2001) confirming this by stating that "ultraviolet radiation and immune suppression (cyclosporin A with corticosteroids) represent cofactors for the development of sebaceous gland hyperplasia."

Zouboulis, C. and Boschnakow, A. 2001, Chronological ageing and photoageing of the human sebaceous gland., Accessed August 2008, .

(It is still mildly itchy and inflamed even after 50 days with no ultraviolet radiation on my face (or very little), but that is because the immune system is attacking bacteria, and trying to heal my skin -- a slow process).

You mentioned that your skin gets really itchy when you drink beer. That's because beer has yeast in it. There's no other explanation for that phenomenon other than having a candida imbalance. The itchiness comes from the yeast literally coming out of your skin.

To get rid of it, I'd recommend taking Oil of Oregano, Grapefruit Seed Extract, and pro-biotics. Oh, and don't forget to give up anything with yeast in it. Including beer, most breads, and pastas. You need to rebalance the level of good and bad bacteria in your intestines. The yeast is taking over your intestines and destroying the good bacteria. Those things I mentioned will help maintain a healthy gut flora.

Check out some of the other forum topics about Candida and acne. Unfortunatly, Candida can never be completely gotten rid of. But the right supplements and a healthy diet can keep it at bay.

Best of luck.

One more thing. The antibiotics you were on also destroyed all the bacteria in your gut. Over time, they adapted to them. That's why antibiotics are only a temporary solution. Since the bad bacteria populate much quicker than good bacteria, it is crucial that you take a pro-biotic to rebalance the gut flora.

Best of luck.

Hi... Andy, I'm 21...

I've been suffering with cystic acne since i was about 15 years old.... its completely ruined my life in every way possible.

I want to rule the world some day... but I cant even go out into public with out fear of people looking at my messed up face... i have so much passion do do things with my life... but my face is the biggest hindrance.

I've been seeing my dermatologist since I was 16, I think.

No treatment has ever worked for me except injections of steroids/cortisone or whatever it is to get the swelling down. And that is not a cure.

I also have Crohns Disease... (cannot take accutane because of this)

I've been on antibiotics so much that they make me almost crap myself if i cough... literally... it sounds funny but its not... my stomach just can't take the drugs anymore.

I've also been on a million topical regimes and NONE work for me... they dry out my skin so its chapped and flaking and do nothing but increase the redness.

I've used special moisturizers... but they don't help much for the chapping....

I'm 21 now, I can't even enjoy a beer with my dad... If I take a few sips of a beer, my face instantly starts itching like crazy.. I've never heard of this... is this common? It seems like i break out after I have a drink as well....

I've also tried 4 treatments of photodynamic therapy (PDT) at $400 bucks a pop and that was over the last 4 months... as you can tell it did absolutely nothing.

I was looking into other acne treatments... I found that drug Spironolactone. It seems to work wonders for people... But I guess its mostly used for females?

Can guys use it? Is it safe?

I honestly don't know how to live with this anymore...

Hi. My brother had the same thing happen to him, he would drink beer and then start itching, sometimes the breakouts would be worse. His acne is gone now-- he gave up YEAST

It sounds like you may have an allegry to yeast.

Some doctors say there is no connection with food and our acne, some disagree. I believe it.

I think the food we put in our bodies make our skin react.

Try cutting out yeast, just try it, what could it hurt? No bread, no hamburger buns, no beer. Nothing with yeast.