Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
djfunz

My First Pill Of Sotret 30mg Wednesday

Well after all the appointments and bloodwork Im finally gonna take the plunge tomorrow morning with my first pill. I gotta tell ya, Ive been pretty nervous about this for a couple weeks now. Im going on 27 this November and have had acne since I was a teenager. Been on all the topicals and pills just for it to come back after 6 months to a year. I want this disease to go into remission for good. Well sure enough after explaining my situation to the derm, she looked at my face, saw the cysts and all the rolling scars and asked me if Ive ever tried Accutane. I told her I was always afraid to. So after a couple minutes she gave me the iPledge routine and I was out the door and on my way the next day to get my bloodwork. Just recieved my Sotret tonite and WOW!! Those warnings and side effects that are printed on the pages have me freaked out. Especially the losing hair, joint pain, and depression. Well, the not being able to drink for a few months kinda sucks too. So Im on my journey and will be posting my updates here for all to read.

Good luck! Don't let the info packets scare you, accutane is just like any other meds, they all have side effects. Just remember to take extra care of yourself while on accutane and if you experience anything uncomfortable or out of the ordinary let your derm know. I too was really scared to get on accutane but here I am 5 months later and I am so happy I made this decision. Focus on the road to clear skin and not so much about the side effects. Once again good luck!

Just wanted to wish u luck!

Devendralover is def right, just be good to yourself, dont worry too much about the side-effects and if u do experience anything, just post here and speak with your derm

Good luck :)

best of luck wth your with your skin.i am 14 and its two years since i am suffering from acne and it is getting worser.but i am not on medication.anyways my parents are against this so waiting for it to heal naturally.hope you will be successful :surprised:

Day 1

Thanks guys. First 2 pills down the hatch. I was at a last resort and figured since I have insurance at the moment, I might as well take the chance. Im going to take some pics and put them up here as the time rolls on. Im going to continue working out as long as I can stand it. I would hate to lose 6 years of work. I ran into this great looking girl I haven't seen in a couple years at hte gym tonight, and didn't even have the confidence to ask for her number or her myspace page url. Well, in all fairness she was pretty hot though. Anyway, this is one of the reasons I need this medication to work. It's probably all mental but none the less it's all about our own self confidence anyway. Thanks for the kind wishes guys.

When I first got my sotret packet I was like what did I get myself into. But I've been on Sotret 30mg now for 100 & something days, and it has really helped my skin so much. I hope it does the same for you. Good luck!

Day 13

Ok guys. Id like to update everyone on my progress so far on Accutane. The first few days were very good. No sides and I was beginning to think that I needed a stronger dose. About 9 days in the dry lips started. I still had fairly oily skin by the afternoon but no biggie. My skin cleared completly with maybe one cyst. I thought wow, this stuff is great!

Now Im currently 13 days into my course and the lips have become very chapped, cracked and the corners are really bad. My skin stays fairly dry most of the day now. My eyes are very dry and the contacts make it hard to see now. This has become fairly annoying. The biggest concern I have is the depression I think is starting to kick in as well. I feel very down the last couple days. I also have had some breakouts recently. As I am still very early in, I hope the sides don't get too much worse.

I hope to have some pics for you guys uploaded soon. I took one from the first day and have just had some proiblems uploading it. Well, thanks for reading so far everyone....

How are you doing so far? I just started 5 days ago and I was thinking i need to increase my dosage. Currently on 40mg. When did you start feeling the drying effect? I'm so nervous.

Good luck to you and to me. :pray:

Day 23

Hello Fineday and to all that are reading this. Im currently on day 23 and still have very dry skin and lips. I was just as nervous as you when I first began my coarse. Im not sure who is still reading this. Perhaps I should change the topic title to "Djfunz Sotret Blog" or something? Is it possible to change a topic title?

Anyway, I just came back from having my bloodwork done today and the Derm told me that she prescribes me Sotret in the 30mg dosage because she feels that generics can cause more side effects. Since the Sotret 30mg is an uncommen dosage compared to the 20mg and 40mg, they dont make a generic in this dose. It became very confusing as to why the makers of Sotret would do such a thing. Just thought I would pass this bit of knowledge along to anyone reading.

To answer your question, the dose really depends on your weight. If you don't weigh as much you will get a weaker pill. Plus derms will generally keep one on a smaller dose to see how one will react. If you don't notice a difference after a couple of months and you don't have any major side effects they will generally bump you up, provided the weight equation will allow it.

I was able to extract the pictures from my camera today at work so I will post them as soon as I get back from the gym. Thanks for reading. :cool:

Ok guys, here are the pictures I took before taking my first pill. Unfortunatly this is up close and bad light which brings out the scarring I have accumulated from 15 years of acne. It looks like mostly rolling scars from my guess along my cheek areas. truly unfortunate as even after accutane treatment I still will have issues with the scarring...

post-56969-1221788126_thumb.jpg

post-56969-1221788303_thumb.jpg

post-56969-1221788313_thumb.jpg

post-56969-1221788126_thumb.jpg

post-56969-1221788303_thumb.jpg

post-56969-1221788313_thumb.jpg

I dont think your scarring looks bad at all. Honestly.

Your skin in general doesnt look bad either. Give tane about 3 months, you'll see major improvement. You may get an initial breakout, but dont worry it DOES go away. Just stick it out, its so worth it. :)

And i didnt experience any other side effects besides the normal one- dryness, badly chapped lips, dry eyes etc... My hair didnt thin or fall out. No depression. My one knee did ache once or twice, but fish oil tablets help that. Good luck!!

Thanks Shanon, I've been fairly optimistic so far given the failures in the past. My only real concern in the long term is the reports of the oily skin and cysts coming back after Accutane is stopped. You look great from your avatar I must say. One month is almost through the gates. I do have 4 breakouts right now on my face so I guess Im still getting through the initial breakout. Time will tell.

Day 26:

Couple of things to add. I continue to have breaksouts, however they are not cysts like normal. When I pop them there is almost a yellowish more liquid fluid that discharges from them. I have also notices after a meal that my stomach makes more digestive noises than normal. Nothing painfull yet, just an observation. My sensitvity to the sun is getting worse as well. Im not sure if it is UV related as I put on very powerful SPF sunblock whenever I go out, but my arms a very flakey all the time. THis is also something that has never happened to me. Well overall still no real improvment...

Day 32

Unfortunatly it seems as though I am suffering some sort of breakout. Im not sure if one can classify this as an IB since Im already over a month in already. It is a bit discouraging however to have 6 new breakouts on my face. I have one medium sized cyst on my left temple and a couple smaller ones on the side of my mouth. I decided to stay on the 60mg a day course for another month and if there are little or no changes I will up my dose to 80mg a month as this dose is still within my weight tolerance. I suppose discouraged is the word of the day...

Day 67

I guess I should update this thread as it's been a little over a month since I last posted here. Unfortunatly no real improvement at all. I go through a span where for a few days the amount of acne diminishes to just a couple, however there are still times such as this week where it flares up and I have 7 or 8 at a time! I don't know if this can even be considered a real IB since this just keep happening. As far as the side effects are conserned, all of the above mentioned are still there. I have noticed that the headaches and dry eyes are more frequent. My weakened immune system and the time of year no doubt play a role into the increased poor health. Depression has been the clear side effect that I've noticed become more predominant. I go through days where it's really tough. I can only conclude that this is due to a few factors.

1. I see no signs of improvment. THis can be tough given the side effects that one has to deal with on an every day basis.

2. Overall health has gone down due to the above mentioned factors. This has caused me to miss the gym for over two weeks. Again, not a good health practice.

3. Given the fact that confidence is never high during breakouts, I have not had asked a girl out in a month and a half. This can be a tough thing to go thorugh without that type of romantic support that a significant other can provide.

Oh well, the keep pressing on mantra can keep reiterating itself in my mind.

Just wanted to say thanks for your supportive comment on my response to those negative people! I'm always afraid of getting blasted.

But anyways, don't let yourself get so down! I definitely know that the support of a significant other is a huge help right now as my hubby really helps me out a lot, but at least you've got all of us here! I know it's not quite the same, but we're here (most of us) to support each other in going through this adventure that is Accutane. So just remember that once you get through these next few months, you'll have the clear skin you've wanted for years, then you'll have the girls asking for YOUR number. You're a very good looking guy with an awesome physique, and I agree with a previous poster, I don't think your scars really look that bad. So keep your chin up, we're here for ya! :dance: