Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
als1988

Derm won't give me the script for accutane? :(

I have had moderate acne for the past 6-7 years, and I am sick of it. Getting accutane is my dream. Right now I want it more than anything else in the world. I have tried everything: benzoyl peroxide (zoderm, neobenz, benzaclin, differin), salicylic acid, sulfur, nicomide, glycolic acid, clindamycin (duac), erythromycin, tretinoin (ziana, atralin), tetracycline, minocycline, bactrim. Some of these products have helped slightly in the short term, but none have given me the long-term results that I'm looking for. These medications simply DO NOT work because they don't solve the root of the problem. All they do is waste time and don't provide any lasting results. I've done all kinds of research for accutane; I know about ipledge, the blood tests, liver tests, pregnancy tests, all of the risks and side-effects and still I WANT to take this drug more than anything.

However, my derm turned me down yesterday... I made a very strong argument for my case, but she just blew me off, gave me some more benzoyl peroxide, and told me to come back in 2 months (easy for her to say b/c her face is flawless). I'm so frustrated and angry right now because accutane is a cometic drug, and therefore my wanting it for cosmetic reasons is perfectly legit. If I'm willing to accept the risks and go through the process, isn't it my choice whether or not I want to be put on it? I'm not being unreasonable either, I've tried everything else and have only made my acne more resilient in the process. I'm ready to end this nightmare once and for all! I want the atom bomb of all acne medication! I WANT TO DO IT! The problem is, I can't get the script :(

Why is my derm being so unreasonable? I'm not the only one who wants to be pretty... What am I doing wrong? I'm going to see a new derm next week (I'm never going back to the derm who turned me down), but I'm worried the same thing will happen. It seems like the derm never listens to me b/c they don't think I understand, but I DO b/c I research! If I get turned down again, I don't know what I would do... I think I'd lose it completely, I don't know if I could go out in public again... I've never heard of anyone else getting turned down for accutane who really wanted it :( HELP!!!

ah yeah...lucky for me my doctor perscribed it right away.. i kinda think its because my brother was on it and he did really good with it and stuff....... hahaha

anyway my bro had to go to mulitple ones until he got it from the one i go to now..people do get turned down tho..dont be too mad..they think they are doing whats in the best interest of you...just knowing facts and stufff..i hope you get accutane soon..dont give up trying!!

xoxo,

live2sing

I'm so frustrated and angry right now because accutane is a cosmetic drug, and therefore my wanting it for cosmetic reasons is perfectly legit. If I'm willing to accept the risks and go through the process, isn't it my choice whether or not I want to be put on it?

Think reasonably here. If the only thing required for a doctor to fill a prescription is if the patient wanted it, there would be no prescription drugs. You are getting so wrapped up in wanting Accutane that you've tossed all logic aside. You have "MODERATE ACNE." Accutane is strictly a medication for "SEVERE, NODULAR ACNE." A few pimples here and there doesn't make you qualified for Accutane, just a headache every now and again doesn't mean you should be taking Rx painkillers.

I'm so frustrated and angry right now because accutane is a cosmetic drug, and therefore my wanting it for cosmetic reasons is perfectly legit. If I'm willing to accept the risks and go through the process, isn't it my choice whether or not I want to be put on it?

Think reasonably here. If the only thing required for a doctor to fill a prescription is if the patient wanted it, there would be no prescription drugs. You are getting so wrapped up in wanting Accutane that you've tossed all logic aside. You have "MODERATE ACNE." Accutane is strictly a medication for "SEVERE, NODULAR ACNE." A few pimples here and there doesn't make you qualified for Accutane, just a headache every now and again doesn't mean you should be taking Rx painkillers.

Actually, I've read that there are several factors in doctors prescribing tane. One reason of course is severe acne. But they also consider it for severe scarring and for people who have had acne for prolonged periods of time. My derm put me on it even though my face at the time was moderate because I explained that I had had acne pretty much every single day for six years. Although I admit I had been on other Rx drugs previously.

To the OP, you may not convince your derm you need tane if all you have ever tried is BP, SA, GA, or other over the counter drugs. My derm let me know I was put on tane only because two courses of minocycline and retin a didn't work.

if you've tried all other options including antibiotics and your acne hasn't responded, you are qualified for accutane. since your acne is not severe, a dosage modification should be made. there is no reason you should not be on the drug. with proper supervision, blood tests, appropriate dosage adjustments, etc. you should be perfectly safe.

Yup, you have to have suffered for a while with cysts and have a bunch of scars for them to give it to you. Then you can go in for laser treatment. Thats my plan.

Alright, I have my plan. I'll spend the next week preparing and reviewing my strategy. My battle is scheduled for Wednesday. I'll post how it goes if I'm still sane at the end. If nothing else, I suppose I could cry... I am a young girl after all :) Who would be mean enough to tell a girl she has to stay ugly?

some doctors just have different feelings towards accutane. I remember my friend was so pissed off that I told him I was on accutane (since I had very mild acne). I guess back in the 80s he had severe cystic acne and he had to visit over 4 different dermatologists to find one that would prescribe it and he's left with a bunch of scars. My derms wife and daughters have all been on it. Heck, I was in his office the other day with one pimple and he asked me if I wanted to go back on Accutane. I was like.."umm, we'll see if it gets worse" I suffered no side effects except for the awful dry skin and a dented wallet or else i'd probably get back on it lol

I suggest having a frank conversation and if he still seems uneasy about it go somewhere else.

The thing is I really can't go anywhere else. If this appointment next Wednesday doesn't work out then I don't get anything, period. This is my final chance, my one hope. Basically, my insurance company is pissed about me switching doctors, and so I'm not allowed to switch again or they won't help me cover costs. I'm not really sure that they're allowed to do that, but maybe they can anyways... So yeah, next Wednesday is probably the most critical day of my life.

I hear ya!!!

Ok, I was on Acutane for 6 months during Junior year in HS (6 years ago) thru the summer or w/e. I've been on a lot of cremes/pills (minocycline/retin, even anti-bacterial junk) and hands down Acutane worked and worked flawlessly. I counted ONE pimple while I was on it, and it was a small one on my jaw line. I'm not gunna lie, the first month to 6 weeks sucks! If I forgot my chapstick or eyedrops at home, I was pretty much F'd for the day.

Now every time I go to the doctor for anything since then, I bring up Acutane and me getting back on it but he won't give it to me. So last month I go thru the small same-day doctor there and he writes me a prescription but I guess I need to sign up for some iPLEDGE thing and need my primary doc to sign and the normal monthly blood tests, bla bla bla. They just sent me a note for a Derm appt in January.... how nice.

Here's what I am abt to do though... Generic Isotretoin via Canadian Pharmacies ;)

(Umm use at own risk? I havent bought any yet. Need $$$)

Edit: Guess I can't paste the link on here.

My $20 copay was awesome but I'm done running around and putting up with acne for almost 10 years now so I may shovel a couple hundred out for that Isotretinoin...

Yup, you have to have suffered for a while with cysts and have a bunch of scars for them to give it to you. Then you can go in for laser treatment. Thats my plan.

Remember they say that you must be off tane for a year before they allow you to undergo lazer therapy. ^_^

I have suffered with acne for a long time. My acne is stubborn and hasn't responded to ANYTHING. My derm wouldn't give me accutane either. I have ocd and he said it might make my ocd worse. I'm so pissed off and feeling helpless.

My first derm did that, so I had him refer me to another derm who was more than happy to prescribe Accutane for my mild-moderate acne. I agree - search elsewhere.

i just went in, sat down, he looked at me, asked what else i had tried, offered me accutane, in and out in 5 mins, i knew i wanted tane and was prepared to argue for it but it was so easy, guess i got lucky with my derm, he loves the stuff, hes treated hundreds with it and only ever had one person fail to complete the course for one reason or another.

That remines me of a story. I went to a docter looking for help with acne she wanted to give me antibotics again like nothing. When I told her right there That does not work and got me violentley ill I need sometime else. She put her face close to mine look at me through my dark glasses and said if you do not take these pills you will never get rid of your acne in a real smart ass voice. After I told her in detail about how terrorable I got sick. I held up the persciption she give me to her face stared riping it and said. I do not give a dam how much you want to make money. You are a waste of peoples hard earn money. Unions money. Tax payer money. How dare you use that tone of voice and stick your face that close to mine. I have to grab myself sometimes and just leave cause I get too piss of with quack docters.

Go somewhere else to someone that will listen to the seriousness of the situation. Docters make more money with topicals so you will show up there alot more. Then they will give you more topicals. I'm sure you could see that topicals is not the answer any more. Get that tane search everywhere.

Dear God Theres got to be some tane laying around somewhere for als1988

YourFriend

MostExtreme

lol holy crap

Gah! I've been spending so much time on these message boards reading people's posts. I feel like kicking myself in the ass and going to med school to become a derm myself. Someone has got to help all of these people for real! People shouldn't be nervous about going to the derm to get help for fear of being turned away or prescribed something that doesn't promise the results that they are desperately seeking. Derms and their patients should be able to speak to each other on the same level. Instead, derms act like their patients could not possibly hope to understand these issues. From what I read on these message boards, it seems like the people with acne know more about everything than the derms do b/c they deal with it on a day-to-day basis! This is so FRUSTRATING! It seems like the wrong people have the medical degrees here!

Gah! I've been spending so much time on these message boards reading people's posts. I feel like kicking myself in the ass and going to med school to become a derm myself. Someone has got to help all of these people for real! People shouldn't be nervous about going to the derm to get help for fear of being turned away or prescribed something that doesn't promise the results that they are desperately seeking. Derms and their patients should be able to speak to each other on the same level. Instead, derms act like their patients could not possibly hope to understand these issues. From what I read on these message boards, it seems like the people with acne know more about everything than the derms do b/c they deal with it on a day-to-day basis! This is so FRUSTRATING! It seems like the wrong people have the medical degrees here!

OMG dude that's exactly how i felt 2 days!!! i said, "IM GOING TO BE A DERMATOLOGIST" Im going to find cures for skin diseases because these docs are full of shit!" :D

but now... pre-med and med... it's too much....to handle....anyway i want a career that pays alot but isn't long as like med.