Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sophiena1143

my accutane log :)

flb16: yes i've always had under the skin bumps!! alwayssss around my chin area for as long as i can remember. they never come to a head and they're small and you could feel them but really only see them in certain lighting y'know?. and i've had them for years, but they would come and go when i was on differin. anyways when i started accutane i got a facial and i'm not sure what she did but when i left they were gone! accutane has kept them from coming back. so if yours don't flatten, i would ask your derma to extract them or give you a topical to make them come out. they suck huh?

They do suck! aghhh... sometimes mine will eventually come to a head on their own, but they seem to sort of be flattening out now that i'm on accutane. I should've gotten a facial pre-tane. Oh well. Thanks for your answer! Things seem to be going great with your course. I'm so happy for you :)

thanks flb & daniel<3

i didn't pick my lips all day today!!

here is my new trick: EXFOLIATING MY LIPS SO THERE IS NO FLAKY SHIT ON THEM!! i used a (new) toothbrush, dipped it in water, then sugar, then rubbed it on my lips in a circular motion and when i was done my lips looked like they did pre-tane. very exciting.

also, this morning there was a red pimply thing on my left cheekbone and by right now-nighttime-it has turned cystic. i am maddd and sadd and i feel like i got a cyst in the same spot just a month or so ago? i need to flip back a few pages & look at pictures.. but anyway if it's not better by tomorrow i'm getting it injected. asap.

anyways that's my story. night :)

Hey, :confused:

My acne is very mild, but there all in little groups. Like around 6 spots all concentrated on my cheek and then a few on the other cheek and around 3 spots on my forehead with all sorts of small scars everywhere. Most are inflamed and there are also spots i can see under the surface just waiting to come out :( There hasn't been a day for about 3 months now where i have been completely clear and my acne has been quite persistant for 2 years now. (Im 19) If one spot goes, more will just appear and its really getting me down. Im always depressed about it and haven't left my house for 3 months. Luckily I'm on a gap year so i dont have to go anywhere.

I've tried all the OTC stuff like Benzoyl Peroxide (Quinoderm, Panoxyl) Freederm as well as Sacilyc acid, Proactiv, Topical antibiotics (Rozex Metronidazole gel), Differin, Stieva-A cream and then all the other rubbish like Clearasil, Oxy, Neutrogena etc. I have also been on the pill Dianette for the past 3 months which has made no difference and im still breaking out. All these creams dont seem to have much effect, they work for a little while and then they stop never completely clearing it, as i continue to break out and get more and more red scars.

My skin is pretty oily most of the time and sometimes i get red spots that can be quite painful but there not as big as cysts. I am going privately to a dermatologist soon as im sick and tired of topicals that do not clear it, and me still breaking out and getting more scars. I really want to go on Accutane and yes i know about all the side effects and the iPledge system and the blood tests and im not sexually active and wont be either, so that wouldnt effect me. I believe the benefits definitely outweigh the risks for me and am willing to go through it all as although my acne is very mild, it is really effecting my life and i want a long-term cure. I Have read of many peoples acne returning after they have come off Dianette aswell and i really dont want to go through that.

I am just wondering does anyone know if my story qualifies for Accutane as my acne is only very mild but is effecting me alot! Do you think the dermatologist would let me go on it even if i start on a low-dose as i dont want him to prescribe me with yet another topical or antibiotics as they arent good for your liver long term, and the acne just returns once your off them. My aunty and 4 of my cousins have all been on Accutane with amazing results and all were fine, im now the only one suffering.

Anyone have any ideas if i would get it?? Sorry it was so long Guyss..

email: [email protected]

I Have read of many peoples acne returning after they have come off Dianette aswell and i really dont want to go through that.

Based on your email address you wrote. I assume you're in the UK?

If so, have your doctor change your birth control to Diane-35 which is approved for acne with its anti-androgen. In the US, go on the generic of Ortho TriCyclen (Tri Sprintec).

At least 90% of dermatologists won't prescribe Accutane for mild acne. Unless its scarring.

But, otherwise, you'd qualify as long as you've tried 2 to 3 different oral antibiotics, topical Retin-A, and benzoyl peroxide.

lizzie, i would just mention accutane to your doctor and see what he says. usually they like to try to put you on a lot of other things before trying accutane because in most cases it should be used as a last resort. i understand your frustration though! daniel gave some good advice. i had mild-ish acne as well with a couple cysts a month and it took me years to get on accutane, and i had to try everything else before that. i'm not sure if it's different in England?

not much new for me. the cysty thing on my cheekbone ended up popping.. now it's just a flat bright red spot. i also had a blackhead on my chin area that i should have left alone but i picked at it (unsuccessful) and ended up just tearing the skin right off because the skin on my face is so fragile. so now it's just scabby. but what do i do? keep peeling off the layers that are trying to harden. y'know!? those are the worst because they won't cover! because that.. i feel great:)

everyone have a good weekend!

day 85

acnesucksalot- my ear popping went away after a couple weeks. it didn't hurt, it was just annoying. felt like it does when you take off in an airplane y'know?

here is a picture i just took when i woke up this morning:

pictureee!

everything is going good. the only thing i hate are the blackheads! they seem like they are big & ready to be popped out but when i try to i just end up with scabby red spots.

my goal is to be 100% clear for my 21st birthday on march 5th!!! :pray:

day 85

acnesucksalot- my ear popping went away after a couple weeks. it didn't hurt, it was just annoying. felt like it does when you take off in an airplane y'know?

here is a picture i just took when i woke up this morning:

everything is going good. the only thing i hate are the blackheads! they seem like they are big & ready to be popped out but when i try to i just end up with scabby red spots.

my goal is to be 100% clear for my 21st birthday on march 5th!!! :pray:

Thanks for replying, I hope it will stop soon I can feel the pressure in my ears its horrible but getting better i think. I had a really weird dream like you mensioned before last night, wondering if its because of accutane because i usually never dream at all, i woke up thinking what the hell? lol

hi nice dream.. thank you very much! my acne was never severe at all. mild at best/moderate at worst i guess. i would always get 1 or 2 or 3 big, painful cysts a month around my chin area. i always had under the skin little bumps around my chin area as well that never surfaced.. blackheads, sometimes pimples...i always had something wrong with my face. i can imagine it would be a lottt worse if it wasn't always being controlled by something. anyway its just been reallyyy persistent since i was like..13/14? i've been seeing the same derma since i was 15 trying all kinds of different things (antibiotics, creams, chemical peels, topicals, spironolactone) and nothing worked. so finallyyyyyy now that i'm 20 she put me on accutane and i'm on a 6-month course.

here are some pictures so you can get a better idea..

before 1

before 2

now-- me with clear skin!

i was definitely one of those people who spent 2 hours in the morning putting on makeup, 2 hours examining my face before bed, skipping classes and not going anywhere depending on how it looked, paying out of pocket for cortisone injections every month and derma visits and medications because i didn't have insurance........ like i was so depressed about it! & looking back, i was really missing out on life! yeah SOO it's veryyy refreshing not to have to worry or even really think about my skin :)

anywayy saw my derma today.. she said everythings great.. december will be my 4th month.. so i'll be done by.. february? in time for my 21st birthday! :D

time for the weekenddd!!

i'm seeing Bolt tonight :cool:

sophenia,

Hi my name is Cassandra and I'm new to this site. I just wanted to say that your pics are so motivating to find out the underlying cause of my acne. I feel like my derm is just quick to give me another antibiotic or topical, but because of reading your page you have inspired me to make an appt with my docotr to figure out if my acne is hormonal (my acne is on the lower half of my cheeks only). I have been dealing with this for so long and I can't wait to go outside without makeup or have my boyfriend stroke my face. I dont want to miss out on things or life in general, so I just want to say THANK YOU for being positive because it does rub off on other people. :) Take care.

Whats up Soph. I went to the Derma the other day and he gave me my script. I told him about how I reduced my dosage to 1 a day and he said thats too low if I want to finish up on time. So right now i'm taking 80mg a day again, but sometimes i'll take 40 mg/day, which he said was fine.

Well since my little mini 2-week accutane hiatus, my skin was looking good, restoring its natural "tan" color and hair got thicker, skin just looked awesome. But now that i'm back on its all dry again. Shit. I only have like 1.5 months left anyways, i'm just going to gut it out. The months after you get off accutane, you will look amazing ( you look good already). Last time I got off accutane right away I starting getting laid and hooking up with girls that I shouldn't have. Lets just hope I have that same luck again :/

I've been having some really weird dreams lately and really VIVID. Pretty odd.

My skin is progressively getting better. It will get worse somedays and be really great others, but generally its getting better and right now it looks pretty good. I'm not the type of guys that gets little blackheads, but instead some oil-filled cysts, which suck. Luckily I will share with the world my new expert technique to get rid of them.

:boohoo:

I have some small cysts on my lower jaw-line, and the sides of my face (like below my ears). You can't really see them from a far, but you can definilty feel them (if you have cysts, you know what i'm talking about). Well sometimes when a doctor's injections are out of the equation, you can fix your cysts yourself. Using a traditional sowing needle can be really painful for draining the cyst because the needle itself is so big. You don't need a big needle; Go to a pharmacy where you get your accutane and pick up insulin needles. These are the disposable needles (sterilzed, and 1 time use) that are literally the smallest size needle. You don't feel a thing when injecting. You're main goal is to drain the cyst, by creating a small hole in which to release the pressure. Once the pressure is released the cyst will now drain via the small hole you just made (you will have to help squeeze). Best part is- it heals very quickly (a day or two) and leaves such minimal marks, with 0 scarring.

Didn't know where to post this, sorry my post is so long. I'm almost done. Yay!!!!!!!!!

2Fresh :cool:

sophenia,

Hi my name is Cassandra and I'm new to this site. I just wanted to say that your pics are so motivating to find out the underlying cause of my acne. I feel like my derm is just quick to give me another antibiotic or topical, but because of reading your page you have inspired me to make an appt with my docotr to figure out if my acne is hormonal (my acne is on the lower half of my cheeks only). I have been dealing with this for so long and I can't wait to go outside without makeup or have my boyfriend stroke my face. I dont want to miss out on things or life in general, so I just want to say THANK YOU for being positive because it does rub off on other people. :) Take care.

hi cassandra, thanks for posting. i know exactly how you feel! good luck with your doctor.. please let me know how it goes..!

2fresh2clean- i'm glad someone else is experiencing weird, vivid dreams too!! when i told my derma about this side effect she told me she's never heard of that but she'll have to research it to learn more about it. i'm glad to hear your skin is getting better & that you're almost done!

my skin is looking good as of right now...

picture 1

picture 2

i'm still experiencing drowsiness & screwy vivid dreams. if i don't lotion up my hands a few times a day they start to get that scaly red rashy thing that i had before, so i always keep a little thing of lotion in my bag. plus it's winter in maine so i'm sure that doesn't help. what else.. i find that my new buffering or exfoliating technique that i use on my lips (toothbrush/water/sugar) works very well so i do it about every morning and my lips stay flake free for most of the day. overall, everything is great. it's weird to examine myself in the mirror at night and not have anything to pick at or obsess over!

i'm on thanksgiving break :) no school for a week, yayy.

gotta go take my cat to the vets noww...byeeeeee :)

Hey Sopheia! I've been stalking your log for quite some time now, but I just had to comment on the latest pictures you posted. You're skin looks amazing! I'm only six days in but I can't wait till I'm at that point! Best of luck with the rest of your course!

I AM SO SORRY I DIDNT KNOW I WAS ACCIDENTALLY PRESSING SEND BEFORE I FINISHED MY MSGS! I AM ON MY SISTER'S LAPTOP AND NOT FAMILIAR WITH HER MOUSE!!!! SOOOOO sorry!!!

anyways here is my full msg!!

Hey there! I finally read your whole blog and not to sound stalkerish but I was looking at your pix:

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/Sop...nt=100_1797.jpg

and I see that your marks on your cheeks (or are they freckles?) here (not the red mark) are similar to mine ... but then I don't seem them in your latest pix. My derm said they are enlarged pores that just look redder from the accutane, but I feel like they are SOOOO pitted and in some lights look dark and indented! Or I dont know if they are just really deep blackheads! Orrr I am just examining myself way too closely in the mirror and upset because it makes me look hyperpigmented (I have darker skin).

Anyways thanks so much for the reply. It made me more positive!

Hello my name is denis and im on day 6 of accutane, im really happy to see this helped u. At first i was really scared of this medicine but reading these logs and the many success stories make it a whole lot easier to be optimiostic. Does accutane clear acne on your shoulders and back or just your face , just a question iv been asking ,myself because iv been getting a few pimples on my chest and shoulders, and iusaly dont get them there but yeah please let me know. Keep us updated on how your doing as well:)

Does accutane clear acne on your shoulders and back or just your face , just a question iv been asking ,myself because iv been getting a few pimples on my chest and shoulders, and iusaly dont get them there but yeah please let me know.

Yes, accutane works by shrinking all oil glands over your entire body. If you're acne isn't at least 80% clear by 3 months then your dose is too low! Maximum dose is 2mg per kg (2.2 pounds) of body weight.

hiii guys...

NY- yes, like daniel said, accutane helps body acne.. but i have never had a problem w/ that so i can't help ya there.

for the past like 4 days i've felt really shitty. really drowsy, tired, and nauseous.. like, didn't even wanna move no matter how much sleep i got or how healthy i ate. sucks..

here's a picture of my face just taken & just washed my face-

picture 1

picture 2

feel crappy. bedtime.

hope everyone had a good thanksgiving!

Sorry to hear you dont feel too great Sophiena...hopefully it'll pass soon

U look great in the pics though!! I posted make up free pics too so check them out when u get a chance!

I was looking at your 10 day pictures you had posted. I don't see any reason why you were put on the accutane in the first place. Your acne is mild at the worst. The drug was meant to be used as a "last resort" for severe cystic acne, which you obviously don't have. The headaches are associated with the accutane. It increases the spinal cord fluid pressure to the brain. I wonder if the way you're feeling now is a side effect of depression, which is more common then they want us to believe. Also drink as much water as possible. Good luck with your treatment.

I was looking at your 10 day pictures you had posted. I don't see any reason why you were put on the accutane in the first place. Your acne is mild at the worst.

Michael before you start giving advice do your research first. All other acne treatments have a higher incidence of depression than Accutane including OTC BP:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/505292_print

Daniel before you start giving advice please read what I had written-I said, "I wonder if that is a side effect of acctuane" which the drug specifically states is a side effect. Having used accutane twice and every antibiotic at least once. Whatever research suggest AB's or OTC BP causes a higher incident of depression is "pure nonsense". Go get yourself on a 5 month course and then get back to me. If such research does in fact exist-must of been funding as a defense tool to be used in court.

"I wonder if that is a side effect of acctuane" which the drug specifically states is a side effect.

Accutane only increases depression because:

Serum levels of vitamin D drop significantly following Accutane treatment of acne. [Acta Derm Venereol 72: 217-19, 1992]

In another study, people with SAD were randomly assigned to receive either 100,000 IU of vitamin D one time only or two hours of bright-light therapy every day for one month. After one month, researchers observed a significant improvement in depression in the group that received vitamin D, but not in the group given light therapy. [J Nutr Health Aging 1999;3:5–7].

It is now estimated that the body requires at least 1,000 IU/day of vitamin D3, and as much as 5,000 IU/day. [Am J Clin Nut. 2003, 77, 204-210]

So, taking 1,000 IU to 5,000 IU per day of Vitamin D3 (same natural form from the sun) should reverse any depression syptoms. Take 3 months to raise vitamin D levels. Should always be taking but esp. on Accutane! Low vitamin D is also why the rainy capitol Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the US!