Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not_Myself

How much do parents acne predict our future??

Parents Influence on Acne  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What age did your parent(s) acne issues resolve?

• They never had an issue
    • Ended in their teens
    • Ended 20-25
    • Ended 26-30
    • Ended in their 30's
    • Ended intheir 40's
    • Lasted to or beyond age 50
  2. 2. How severe of an issue was acne for your parent(s)?

• Not an issue at all
    • Mild acne
    • Moderate acne
    • Severe acne
  3. 3. How old are you now if you still have acne, or how old were you when your acne cleared up?

• Teenager or lower
    • 20-25
    • 26-30
    • 30's
    • 40's
    • 50's or higher

I've always wondered how much of an effect someone's genes REALLY had on their acne... and if a parents past skin issues are any real indication of what to expect. I know it can be genetic, but to what point?

Anyway... I'm curious... so please take a second to answer my little poll. Please :banana:

My dad never had acne a day in his life, neither did his side of the family. My mom had a zit here and there in her teens but none after that, no one in her family had it either. I still have it, I am 48. My 2 girls have it, one is on bc and is clear, the other is very mild. My hubby is clear, always was, no one in his family, even the tons of neices and nephews, second and third cousins and their kids have it. So, my girls and I are a rare thing. My sister never had a zit a day in her life, so I got the crap gene and I passed it to my kids. I am still waiting to clear up but if my luck holds I be battling acne, wrinkles, sags and bags by that time. I can just see it when I am in the home, my kids will have to get me bp and I will still be avoiding stuff that breaks me out, LOVELY!!!! its depressing when I think about this, Elf

My parents just had it mild and were mostly clear in their early 20's.

I'm now 23 with moderate acne.

This is interesting.

Ma has perfect skin.

Dad had terrible skin and still has a bad nose/ breakout occosionally.

5 out of 8 kids had bad skin, very bad. Other 3 were perfect.

Mine was terrible upto 20, then accutane, and 3 years of perfect skin regardless what i did. Now 1 - 2 breakouts per month...

dad had perfect skin and mum only had a few zits during highschool

both my brother and got it bad and went on accutane.

in my case it is a hormone imbalance, in my brothers i dont know..

Mom never had a pimple in her life, neither did any one in her side of the family. Dad had a quite mild acne, with some big spots once in a while, but nothing too serious. Older brother (who strongly resembles me physicially) had only oily skin as a teen and a couple of whiteheads that all cleared up after he turned 19-20. Sister has one or two pimples every 2-3 months.

My acne as mostly been a result of my own anxious tendencies. 6 years later, and with no treatment, my skin's doing better than it was during those years I was clear and dependent on products.

mom has flawless skin, dad has great skin for a male, and all my little sisters have great skin. My older sister has model skin. And i, have bad skin.

My Mom had it pretty bad into her 20's and mild breakouts into her 40's. It was so bad for her, she had deep pitted scars now. But, I believe then they didn't know how to take care of their skin as well. Her siblings (5 of them) I don't think had any real issues with it.

My Dad had clear skin and so did his sisters. So..I always blame my Mom for my acne issues, haha.

My dad had moderate acne on his face until his late teens. He still has back acne now, which is more severe than his face acne was and leaves some scarring.

My mom never had acne as a teen, but now has rosascea (sp?).

I'm (almost) 14, and I've had acne since I was 10. It's always been moderate, but at 10, moderate acne seemed pretty severe. I was clear for most of last school year, had a breakout for a few months when I was really stressed, and now am pretty much clear again, except for some finally fading red spots and the occasional irritating pimple or two (like the really sore one on the tip of my nose that refuses to be popped).

Anyway, I guess I have my dad to thank for my acne. Thanks, Dad! :dance:

My mum had pretty bad acne as a teen. Her scars are still visible, but they're mostly dark spots, like the ones I have all over my forehead and around my chin sometimes. My dad had some pretty bad zits occasionally as a teen on his back. The scars are huge O__O But I just get acne on my face a lot ... My mum said it was worse than hers...

So what I can take from this poll, if anything yet, is that.........

Most of our parents had moderate acne that cleared up at least by 25..... and most of us answering this survey have not yet quite reached that age.

Obviously it doesn't apply to everyone, but for the majority, that sounds pretty hopeful :)

My dad had no issues ever I don't think, my mother had mildish acne until she was in her 20s... she still gets an occassional zit every now and then. I don't think she ever had acne near as bad as I do, my younger sisters acne probably resembles hers back in the day. she has a smooth, even toned, poreless complexion with a few scattered inflamed zits that have now been 99% eliminated w/ BC and a SA wash... not fair :(

my parents have GREAT skin.

my mom used to tell me over and over again how she doesn't get it. so automatically it was me and what i was doing wrong.

my dad says that some of his brothers and sisters had skin problems, but i don't know.

i decided a long time ago to accept that i have an imbalance internally. there just has to be because i don't know what else would make some type of sense.

My mom has absolutely PERFECT skin; I think she always has, but I haven't asked.

My dad most likely had some issues when he was a teen, but he was a model in his 20's and his skin was clear at that point.

I had moderate acne beginning at age 12, and now it is mild.

I'm hoping this is just a typical "teen acne" phase (I'm 16 1/2). Knock on wood, heh.

My dad and his family never had acne. My mom was the only one in her family to ever get acne. She always tells me how lucky I am that I don't have it as bad as she did. Looking at her now you would've never even guessed she had acne! Hers went away when she was 19 - 20, but she also said a prescribed Vitamin E Gel helped her get over her acne, unfortunately she doesn't remember what it's called :@.