Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ever since my acne came, people won't stop mentioning it. I have to be so careful about what I eat so I won't get breakouts. I'm just got into my teen years, expecting everything would go GREAT, none of my friends have it. I wash my face three times more than any of my friends. What's wrong with me?! I feel like, the acne is corrupting my confidence. I'm scared to go out in public without having to check on my face to see if my acne is showing. This is really hard. I'm young & I want to look pretty. If my acne subsided, maybe I could feel more free... any advice?

I'm a young teen like you.

Trust me, as you get older, a ton of the girls start to get breakouts. Very few of them have flawless skin (but I can't help but be jealous of the ones who do).

It's hard to have confidence when you feel like an ugly person. Personally, I don't think that I'm pretty. I just don't. And that's the way it will probably always be. You just have to live your life, and focus on academics.

Try to think of the big picture. Think beyond your appearance and if people are looking at your acne, chances are they don't even think twice about it. You notice it because you scrutinize yourself. You are hyper-aware that you have acne and you probably spend a lot of time looking at your pimples in the mirror but when people look at you they look at all of you, not just at the zit on your forehead. I'm 26 and have dealt with acne since I was 12 so I know it can really suck but if I had let it consume my thoughts and get me down I would have had a pretty miserable past 14 years but I didn't. I formed great friendships, great relationships, had great experiences and told myself I was beautiful when I felt ugly. There were definitely days when it got to me and by no means is it fair that some of us are dealt this card but you just have to deal with it the best you can and live life beyond the mirror.

One thing that has really worked for me is to focus on the positives of my appearance. I tell myself I have a nice smile, I like my eyes, I like my hair etc... When you look in the mirror you should indulge in some good old fashioned self-loving. Tell yourself you are awesome, funny, an amazing friend, you have great style. Do this every morning and it will stick with you for the rest of the day.

I'm a young teen like you.

Trust me, as you get older, a ton of the girls start to get breakouts. Very few of them have flawless skin (but I can't help but be jealous of the ones who do).

It's hard to have confidence when you feel like an ugly person. Personally, I don't think that I'm pretty. I just don't. And that's the way it will probably always be. You just have to live your life, and focus on academics.

I'm sick of hearing people saying "just focus on academics" or similar things. Do you honestly think that if you get strait A's you're going to be happy? Just enjoy life a little bit, yeah know? No one will remember the grades you got in school or what you spent your time on, except for you. So why not spend time being able to have fun, if you start digging yourself a hole now you're just going to dig yourself deeper. If you won't talk to people because of you're acne you're going to have malformed social skills and won't be able to talk to people when you finally realise you wasted your time wallowing in your own self pity. You'll just become more involved in not being involved and be so used to spending your time alone you won't try to live any other way. And that doesn't sound like the happiest life to me, regardless of how well you did in school or how much your job pays.

Some people were just destined to have a better life. I was reading the news the other day some guy got lucky found some money on the floor bought a lottery ticket and won, while another guy spent over $300,000 and he still hasn't won. Some people have perfect skin and some people don't. It's just the way life is. All you can do is make the best of the situation and be thankful that god gave you life and you have a roof over your head and there is food on your table. There are a lot of people out there with nothing at all.

How do I get through life? I've got some great friends who don't really care about my acne. I realized during the summer when I'm alone and away from my friends, I start to get bitter about my acne and every little thing that pops up annoys the hell out of me. When school starts, I don't even realize I have acne. I looked back at some photos I took a few months ago and I can't believe I went out looking like that and talking with confidence.

A few years down the road, no one will remember that you had acne. I can't even remember the faces of some of the close friends I knew. What they'll remember though is the person you were. Think back four years, do you remember the physical appearances of your friends or do you remember the person they were?

I'm sick of hearing people saying "just focus on academics" or similar things. Do you honestly think that if you get strait A's you're going to be happy? Just enjoy life a little bit, yeah know? No one will remember the grades you got in school or what you spent your time on, except for you. So why not spend time being able to have fun, if you start digging yourself a hole now you're just going to dig yourself deeper. If you won't talk to people because of you're acne you're going to have malformed social skills and won't be able to talk to people when you finally realise you wasted your time wallowing in your own self pity. You'll just become more involved in not being involved and be so used to spending your time alone you won't try to live any other way. And that doesn't sound like the happiest life to me, regardless of how well you did in school or how much your job pays.

I don't think she's saying "get straight A's and everything will be fine", she's saying focus on what's important. If I could go back to high school I would have focused more on getting better grades and paying more attention in class rather than putting my social life first and just wanting to have fun. Not only did I have acne gnawing at my confidence but I also had to deal with poor marks. Confidence can be drawn from many different life experiences and it's worth it to get good marks so that you can take pride in them. The OP didn't say that she doesn't talk to anybody, on the contrary she said that she has friends so it's a bit presumptuous of you to assume that if she focuses on school that she will become introverted.