Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been trying Dr. Perricone's regimen for over a week now just to try it out and see what's up. I've slipped up a few times, twice with sushi, and once with chinese.

Anyway, I'm sorta mixed at this point. I have definitely had more spots on this method, albeit small. But they are weird in that they stick around for a long time, and are often on my nose which is annoying. Right now I have 4 tiny whiteheads on the sides of my nose. I am used to being clear, so it's not a happy thing. My chin and upper lip have also experienced small whiteheads, but they go away faster than the nose.

The last very weird and not welcome thing is the dark circles under my eyes. Before they were normal, now they're splotchy and more noticable. Sorta darker in one area. I thought this was supposed to help my skin look more youthful, and this is not a youthful look. Lastly, my friends have commented that my skin looks shiny during the day which it kinda does. And one of my friends in particular thinks I look splotchy all the time now. It's true that my skin looks more even on my usual regimen.

I guess you could blame it on the sushi, but if I can't have some white rice from time to time, or ever slip up, that's no way to live. Honestly, I still don't think diet and acne have much to do with each other. If diet does affect acne, I have a feeling, at least for me, it is on a very minor level.

What I've been doing:

food: All low glycemic under 55 on glycemic index, and all whole grains, except for white rice a few times.

supps: ALA, N-acetyl cysteine, multi, zinc, conjugated linoleic acid, evening primrose oil (vitamin C makes me majorly poot, so no more of that) Spent $90 on supps.

topicals: A concentrated blend of ALA, DMAE, retinol, vitamin C ester. Spent $35 on 1 ounce of this stuff, and that was the cheapest I found. Added in a 10% glycolic acid for first few days.

I read Dr. Perricone's book and nowhere did he say it was supposed to make you break out at first, so I'm concerned. Anyone who's been on it for a long time and saw initial breakouts?

As always, I'll continue to keep an open mind to different acne treatments, and keep guinea pigging myself. I think Dr. P might have a point with some of the anti-inflammatories, but as of now I don't know if there is a well laid out regimen using them, nor is this method affordable. I am also very concerned that the two long "case studies" in Dr. Perricone's book show lots of improvement right away, but never total acne control. Then he says "we made an appointment for 3 months from then and I had confidence we'd see further improvement" or something like that. He never tells you how these people did long term!

My conclusion: Further research needs to be done into inflammation and acne. Furthermore, once this research finds conclusive evidence, a step-by-step regimen should be devised that is both easy to follow and affordable.

I just received the toner yesterday. I've been using the cream at night since Monday night. THe diet part is hard for me especially with the Holidays now(Passover) We can't eat bread but matzah still probably has a high gi! lol Anyway overall i say the cream has helped me. As far as breakouts i think you may get a little bit but not to much. Personally i haven't really broken out since i've started and that was only using the cream at night. I had a few here and there but that's it. Right after using it i noticed "some" difference. I think the food part effects different people. Today i started using the toner so from now on it'll be the full onslaught! I didn't experience any burning or "tingles" after first putting it on. I didn't do a lot though. I will try to cut high gi's out of my diet, but i don't think i'll be able to do it fully. Anyway i'm on break this week and will be in Florida for most of it so i'll talk to you guys when i get back! Today i had 2 omelettes and lox(salmon) w00t!

Hey, I never expected Dan to actually try this regimen, that suprises me. Anyways, Sorry to hear that it hasnt been working for you....but it does not really suprise me. Let me explain.

Over a week, I will assume you have been on it 10 days. Now, Perricone says some silly stuff about it working in three days, and I noticed a slight change but nothing major within 3-5 days. However, it took upwards of about a month or so to actually see any results that made me happy. I am now approaching the three months point (just about). My skin is 99% clear, I rarely get belimishes, and my old red marks are faded. The blemishes I get (rarely) fade within a day or two. My skin's oil is now how I desire. My face is never oily during mid-day (if I dont wash, maybe at night, but never over oily).

This took me 2 - 3 months to actually get super clear. My friends can agree that this method works for us. However, I have noticed something, and that is I have never seen this regimen work on an adult. We all know that adult acne is different in some way, and its very possible that perhaps only teens see a major improvement.

However, nonetheless, I suggest you follow the regimen until the 1 month mark and see if things improve. If they seem to, try to stick it out 2 months. Trust me, it pays off if it works in the end. Well, again sorry it didnt work, but even I didn't see results within the first 10 days. So, it doesnt suprise me that you havent seen anything yet, although it does scare me that you have black circles under your eyes and weird pimples, since I have never seen ill effects.

I am curious on which topicals you are using. I reccomend an ALA/DMAE Toner and a ALA DMAE cream. Also the toner has a nasty habit of making your skin look shiny if you dont use a tissue to absorb the excess. This is why I only use a toner at night. The cream should also be used at night.

You said you used a concentrated blend that was super expensive.

I got 6 oz. for 30 bucks of ALA, DMAE, and C etser. I dont know why it was so expensive for you. I got the toner for 35 bucks.

Yea, i didnt expect to see Dan trying this. Thats cool...

Well, there are a couple things i wanted to mention. First, you have obviously been using bp for quite a while, and according to XgamerX, that can be an inflammatory. So, if you were to get off of it to try perricones regimen, then the effects that is was actually having on your skin (even though you were clear when using it) will now be showing up. If Gamer is right, your face would have to adjust from the bp damage before you even saw improvement.

Second, i don't know if you read all of the posts in our previous thread, but I think you payed way too much for your stuff. Several people, including myself, concocted lists of internet sources for the cheapest, yet high quality products. You should check them out to save $$.

Hope that helps

2SG

dan:

maybe the dark circles under your eyes are just the effect of the supplements breaking down of old tissue and rebuilding of new collagen. DMAE is supposed to be good at reducing that...i don't know if you'd dare to try but crushing up a DMAE pill to a really really fine powder and mixing it with aloe or eye cream might help it heal. btw, where did you get a concentrated blend? from past posts, some people have pointed out the need for the topicals to have at least 5% ALA to be effective.

i also noticed that dr. P doesn't follow up on a few cases. does anyone know if there's a way to e-mail him? or does anyone live where he works? smile.gif

gamer:

you haven't seen results on adults? 8-[ i'm getting worried that this may not be good for me in the end. do you know of any adults who've tried this and it didn't work for them?

I decided to crush about 4 of my skin esentials caps into my reviva dmae/ala/ester c cream. Well not crush but my mom had this potatoe pealer and it works awesome I just scrape the shit outa the pills into a littl clean salsa holder and it literally turn into power. The last few pices get kinda hard I just pound them up with the back of a spoon.

oh yeah the skin essential caps contain

ala 100mg

dmae 100mg

ester c 50mg

grape seed extract 50mg

and I think it aslo have some vitamin e.

Well see how things go!

I didnt mean to imply that it doesnt work for adults. I simply meant that I personally have never seen an adult do the regimen. All te people I have told about it and that have started it are teens. (15-19).

The 5% thing comes from his first book. He said that was the best conentration to use, and thats what his expensive stuff has too. Although you could always use puredeming intesnse gel. You can get the R-ALA stuff which is the raw form, as most companies use a blend of R-ALA and S-ALA, cost effective. Also the R-ALA at PD has all non-comendgenic ingredients. I used to use the other stuff (which isnt bad) but I never slept with it on, until I got the R-ALA. This stuff is awesome regardless of what reg your doing. However, all of Dr. P's work is based on R-ALA, and theres a study over on the scar board. I dont know if its by itself or in the puredeming thread.

As for trying to get a hold of Dr. P, you cant. Although Gamer said he did email him in the other thread (where this whole thing got started), Dr.P doesnt see patients anymore, b/c hes out promoting his book and doing the PBS shows. You could try his website http://www.clinicalcreations.com

but it says on there that Dr. P does not provide personal consultations and/or provide medical advice. If you do use the email links the response that comes back is from someone other than Dr.P.

I've got about 15 tiny whiteheads on my upper lip, nose, and around my mouth, I don't know why. I've never had this many in that area before, usually my upper lip is the only part of my face that's clear, and my nose doesn't usually get more than 1 or 2 tiny whiteheads on it.

O well... I'll keep doing it for atleast 2 months and see how it goes.

It's VERY hard to stick to the diet, many times I've had to turn down ice cream, pizza, and soda's from other people... =

wow.. some people must be reacting really badly to this..

well.. ghoul.. have you used anything before this??.

i was wondering if amongst the people who has a bad reaction to these treatments had prior treatments etc...

i havent had ANY of whatsoever.. (except some dingy pills this dermatologist gave me..) of prior treatments.. can yo guys post like.. what treatments/ what you ARE taking currently with dr.perricone's reg.??

Thxabunch

My forehead broke out big time when I started applying the toner and cream. I stopped putting toner/cream there and its finally getting better after like two weeks. The rest of my face still needs a lot of improvement. Been on the program for almost a month.

What is everyone using for a cleanser? I was using cetaphil (pump), but now i think its done major damage to my face. I quit just yesterday and i already see an improvement. I hope my face improves within the next day or two, i'll keep you posted.

2SG

I've been on perricone's anti-inflammatory diet for about 20 days now. I started using supplements about 12 days ago, including ALA, DMAE, Ester-C, Fish Oil, and 3 grams of B5 a day. I have yet to use any special cream or toner, and don't plan to in the future. It's difficult to gauge the results so far. My face has been improving lately, but i have always had stretches where my skin would seem to improve right before another bad breakout. I still get new zits almost every day, but i haven't had a terrible breakout for about a week. My forehead and temples are covered with microcomedones, giving it a sand paper like texture. They've been there for about 1-2 weeks now, and i've never had anything like that before on my forehead. About a month ago i developed several microcomedones on my nose, which have since gone away. My face seems to be slightly less oily. Hopefully i will continue to improve, and these things on my forehead will die down. I am still keeping my options open. I may switch to pantethine instead of B5, and/or get some topical anti-androgens from my derm.

My forehead broke out big time when I started applying the toner and cream. I stopped putting toner/cream there and its finally getting better after like two weeks. The rest of my face still needs a lot of improvement. Been on the program for almost a month.

2SG:

Cetaphil it seems only works for people with drier skin. even the pump bottle for "normal to oily skin". i just started using St. Ive's Medicated Apricot scrub but i NEVER "scrub". just kind of swirl it reallly really gently and let the SA sink in for a few secs and wash it off. i only do this to dry my skin a bit more and to open up my pores so the cream will sink in better at night. hope this helps.

I pressed on until last night. I looked in the mirror and had probably 10 little red bumps, and 2 whiteheads that came to say hello. This is 10 more than I usually have, and not at all ok. I went back to my regimen and by this morning I was looking better. I did the regimen again this morning, and now I am looking a lot better. I should be clear again by tomorrow hopefully.

I will continue to put the topicals on my under eye area to see what happens with those weird dark circle things. But as for the rest of my face, there's just no way I can continue. I hand out business cards with "Clear Skin, Inc." on it and can't be broken out.

Oh, and my topical has the following: deionized water, retinol, vitamin E, vitamin C (ascorbyl DMAE), lipoic acid, aloe vera, glycerin, propylene glycol, and green tea extract.

-Dan

maybe this.. xgamerx's thing isnt for people with severe acne..

.. xgamerx what kind of acne did you have when youdid this dr.p's reg?.. i have very mild acne rite now with a lot of scars.. i had been getting so many whiteheads when i was using NOXZEMA.. the thing dat makes your face all cool and stuff. but i recently switched to cetaphil.. BAR cleanser.. and its drying the shiiiat outta my face.

anyways.. pls post exactly WHAT level of severity of acne you have if you guys used this.. thankx ^________^;

i hope my order today wasnt a mistake.. [-o< :-k

babowc:

Cetaphil makes a bar cleanser? aren't solid soaps supposed to be bad foryou skin though?

you know i think Carley's might be a good addition to this routine. since Dr. P has told one of his case studies to keep using Benzoyl Peroxide for his active acne and Carley's is super gentle this might be a good combination for people who aren't seeing great results. i haven't tried Carley's myself but i've always heard good reviews.

Gamer, I just got the cream and tonight I'm using it for the first time. Before I used it however I wiped my face with 10% Glycolic toner from DDH or something. It also has lactic acid, chamomile, and other anti-inflamatory things. Will this AHA cause a bad reaction if I use it in the long term?

Ive been told that AHA's do have negative long term affects, like making your skin look more aged.

However, the ALA's that Perricone suggests, is actually pro-healthy-aging if that makes sense. itll help reduce wrinkles and other things that are caused by aging.

so basically, the Alpha HYDROXY Acids, will cause long term damage.

but the Alpha LIPOIC acids, that Perricone reccomends, will cause long term health smile.gif

Ive been told that AHA's do have negative long term affects, like making your skin look more aged.

However, the ALA's that Perricone suggests, is actually pro-healthy-aging if that makes sense.  itll help reduce wrinkles and other things that are caused by aging.

so basically, the Alpha HYDROXY Acids, will cause long term damage.

but the Alpha LIPOIC acids, that Perricone reccomends, will cause long term health smile.gif

i would think that the amount of food also affects to the contribution of inflammation? if i ate a spoon of rice, wut would that do? it has a high gi, sure... but wouldnt more make it worse? so wut if we ate these foods in small proportions throughout the day? i eat alot of small meals... im not rlly breakfast lunch n dinner

i would think that the amount of food also affects to the contribution of inflammation? if i ate a spoon of rice, wut would that do? it has a high gi, sure... but wouldnt more make it worse? so wut if we ate these foods in small proportions throughout the day? i eat alot of small meals... im not rlly breakfast lunch n dinner