Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mellieh

acne in a pre-teen

I have dealt with acne off & on since puberty & my husband did a round of accutane in high school & has been clear ever since. I am now anxiously watching our 11 yr old son as his face starts to break out. I wonder if I should go on & give him some acne wash or something or just ignore it. He hasn't said anything to me, but I sure don't want him to end up all broken out & miserable like I was as a teen. Kids can be so mean.

I guess I'm looking for input on the healthiest way for me to deal with acne in a child. I don't want to make him feel self conscious by bringing it up, but I want to do the best thing for him....Any thoughts?

I have dealt with acne off & on since puberty & my husband did a round of accutane in high school & has been clear ever since. I am now anxiously watching our 11 yr old son as his face starts to break out. I wonder if I should go on & give him some acne wash or something or just ignore it. He hasn't said anything to me, but I sure don't want him to end up all broken out & miserable like I was as a teen. Kids can be so mean.

I guess I'm looking for input on the healthiest way for me to deal with acne in a child. I don't want to make him feel self conscious by bringing it up, but I want to do the best thing for him....Any thoughts?

I am a teenager myself and personally, I probably wouldn't mind if my mother offered me some help with my face. I would just bring up the subject really gently and if he responds well then you can convince him to take the accutane or whatever else you want. If he doesnt respond that well then tell him that you want to help. You should consider his personality when telling him. Just consider that in the future it may really help him. I hope that kind of helps. I wish you the best of luck!

I got acne when I was 12 years old after I washed my face with a cleanser for the 1st time in my life thats how I fist got acne fucked up right?

I wouldnt bring it up. Maybe he really doesnt notice and it doesnt bother him a bit, why get him thinking about it? then comes the next years of trying to find a regimen..I say let him stay innocent about it for a bit so he doesnt have to start worrying about how to clear it up. If you do see anything that seems like he could be slightly bothered by it then by all means get to figuring it out.

KILL IT WHILE IT'S YOUNG!

The acne, that is. Just make sure you don't try some crappy over the counter face wash that garentees a clear face in just 20 minutes. I'd think if you minimalized the acne before it gets a chance to get worse that it won't be able to progress.

i started getting acne when i was in grade 3 (around 8 or 9 yeras old) and im 14 now and I have it on and off latley, my parents bith had severe acne as teens and my mom still had acne. i think that you should explain to him about acne and offer some face wash. thats what my mom did when i was 9 and i was not self concious after she told me, i didnt really care.

In my honest honest opinion get it while its still mild. Book in with a good derm and get him on accutane. If it worked for his father chances are it will work for him too! If I could step in the past I would have done this!

I got acne when i was starting 6th grade, when i was only 11. It kinda sucked to be the only kid around with acne, but soon everyone else started getting it and i didn't feel so alone with it. But i would suggest you nip it in the arse now rather than later when he's crying because of the scars he has been left with. I would suggest starting with a sensitive skin face wash and a moisturizer, then adding benzoyl peroxide if necessary. I wish i would have started treatment early...

You're going to have trouble finding a derm willing to prescribe Accutane to a 12 year old with mild acne. Accutane is generally a last resort regardless of age, and frankly, even if you could find a derm willing to put your son on a tane regimen, I highly discourage it. Accutane is extremely powerful stuff with the potential for serious side effects - it's really not what you want to be introducing to the body of a growing 12 year old boy. If he decides he wants something to fight his acne, consider topicals. I would always recommend at least giving DKR a shot before any prescription medication.

As for talking to him about his acne, go in anticipating some defensiveness from your son. Whether or not he's touchy on the subject, it's best to be prepared for him not wanting to talk about it. If his acne is noticeable at all, he's noticed it and is self-conscious about it.

mellieh, my son was around 13 when he started to breakout around his chin. He said that he didn't really care because everyone else was breaking out & it was all part of puberty. His acne got worse around 14 and that's when it started to bother him. We tried Neurogena acne wash, Proactive, Arbonne clear advantage & Acnefree. They only worked for a short time. I brought him to a dermatologist in April of this year when he was 15. He was started on minocycyline 100mg 2x daily & differin .01 at night. He started to clear in around 8 weeks. It's been 4 months & is completely clear! He has started to decrease the mino but continues with the differin at night. He washes with Olay gentle foaming wash 2x daily, moisturizes with Olay complete & takes vitamin E with selenium, vitamin C, Pant. acid & probiotics for good bacteria. I completely agree with aidenkane...........take him to a dermatologist to nip it before it gets out of hand. Also, I change his pillow case 3 times a week & he disinfects his cell phone regularly. He watches his soda & chocolate intake as well.