Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, does anyone know how long red marks last after needling??? I did needling over 3 weeks ago and I still have red marks around each of my individual scars. The red marks are actually larger than my scars were!!!! They're circular patches all over my temples, forehead, and cheeks. I have around 15 of these patches. I have boxcar scars btw. I've recently started using skin bio CP serum in the day time and bio-oil at night but I'm noticing no change. I have to layer on THICK foundation + concealer to cover it when I go out, but you can still see a little of the underlying discoloration!!! I've gotten really depressed over this as I feel like it will never heal. I hate going out now, and I even avoid meeting up with people and eye contact because I've become so self conscious!!!! I don't even want to see my boyfriend that much anymore!!! I regret doing needling since most of my scars pretty much look the same and some actually look like they've gotten DEEPER?!?!?! Please HELP me!!!!!!!!

I'm really sorry that you're going through all this worry! I would think that the superficial skin should be well on its way to recovery within 7-10 days post needling. I'm no expert though so don't put too much weight into that. What did you do for aftercare? Are the marks red or brownish red? What does your derm say about this?? Sorry for all the questions...maybe it would help if you post some pictures of the marks. Sometimes it just takes certain people longer to heal and that could certainly be the case for you. Please try not to panic and do your best not to push people away over skin insecurities, even when you really really want to - it will only make you more depressed in the long run. Trust me, I've been there! Oh and I forgot to ask where you had your needling done, by whom, etc?

I'd say a month to 2. These sort of damage takes a while to resolve. I think the redness = the skin fixing itself still - the blood is flooding these areas as the skin recovers.

I don't know, but it seems like my result has been irregular with the many other posters here who've had needling. Aftercare wise: I stayed out of the sun, applied aquaphor 2-3 times daily for 5 days. It wasn't healing that well since the nurse told me that it would be pretty much normal by day 5, so I followed Yumi's advice (a poster from another forum who's done needling) to keep the wounds dry and apply a light lotion. So I just slathered on cetaphil lotion and that was it. On day 5, during my post-op appt, the nurse started to massage off my scabs with a gauze pad saying that I should take off the dead skin for better healing. So I started doing that at home with a gauze pad some more on days 5 and 6. All of my scabs were off by day 10. Since then, I've just been applying cetaphil, sunscreen, and wearing a hat whenever I go out. But seriously, the redness is still mostly there, concentrated entirely on my individual scars. The skin looks mostly smooth, but the color is very off-setting. Overall, I look a ton worse than before. Oh one thing, I've noticed that my newer scars all aquired within the last year is responded slightly more than my 2 old scars from chicken pox. The old scars had zero improvement. The newer ones, they're still red but some of them look smoother?? It may be an illusion, but through the redness, they look a bit smoother. Not all of them but the really really mild boxcars I had look better. This still doesn't make me happy though because of the pigment. I now keep thinking about how I could have lived with my scars eventually looking back before the treatment. The doctor had no good solution when I talked to him about it. He said, "the redness should resolve within 3 to 12 months similarly to your scars before." Um okay....my scars before treatment were still light pink after a year before treatment, so you're telling me there might be additional redness on top of that for maybe year or more?!?!??! He wrote me some Tri-luma, but I doubt that will help. I asked about a laser that could take away the redness, but he said that it was risky and could cause more redness. So basically, I'll have to wait it out. I'm type IV skin, this redness could, god forbid, last forever. This whole ordeal has been so mentally and emotionally draining for me. It has ruined my summer, and somehow I believe that God is punishing me for being vain about my imperfections.

It won't last forever that is for sure and over the next few months the redness will diminish greatly. I don't know why the hell you were instructed to remove scabs, that is not the right thing to do at all!!

Also your scars will probably appear deeper until the redness has gone. I speak from experience when i say redness makes atrophic scarring look much worse than it is.