Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I don't ever get the amount of sleep I should. The problem is not that I don't have the opportunity... I simply can't. I average about 4 maybe 5 hrs a night lately (i think; it's hard to say for sure because I wake up so often). Anyways, one of my friends recommended melatonin, which is a hormone that is already produced by the body, and I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it (or knows someone who is taking it). Does it seem to effect acne at all? Thanks :)

I've taken it occasionally, and it helped for a couple nights, but then seemed to stop. However, I've heard it works best with long-term usage, so that might be how it works best for the majority of people. Mine came in 3 mg pills, and I recommend only using that much. 6 mg gave me a hangover the next morning. I don't think it affected my acne, but I'd assume getting better sleep on a regular basis would probably be beneficial to your skin in general.

Can you talk to a doctor about your sleep issues? I've had problems with staying asleep, too, and I was given prescription sleep aides that worked very well, better than melatonin. You might only have to take them until you get your sleep cycle in check or on nights you sleep particularly badly. I never had any side-effects besides being really out of it as they started making me sleepy, but uh, that's to be expected. Your sleeplessness could also be due to another medical issue entirely that a doctor could catch.

I have a really tough time sleeping as well. I take Melatonin pretty much every night and it usually works very well. The only side effect I've noticed is that it sometimes makes me have really strange dreams. Not nightmares, just strange, vivid dreams. It hasn't affected my skin at all. Good luck! I definitely empathize with you about not being able to get enough sleep.

Sleeping issues maybe connected to anxiety or depression. I tried Melatonin but it didn't work for me at all, I got prescribed Roserem but it didn't work either. Frankly speaking, one Tylenol PM beats them all, it really calms me down sorta helps my brain shut down at last and fall asleep, but it shouldn't be used on regular basis, just occasionally.

I had an awful time getting to bed at a decent hour last school year. I've used a bottles worth of melationin so far. I love the stuff. Take one or two and you're sleepy and out like a light in 30min. Wacky dreams for sure. Some nightmares but I think those are interesting anyways. In the morning provided you dont get woken up with only 3 or 4 hours of sleep you should feel really fresh and ready to go.

only thing thats scary is it works so well, I hope theres no long term damage or such.