Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rma17

Long-term Pregnancy Risk

Hello! I am a 24 years old and have been dealing with acne for over 11 years. For the past year i have been on regimen of differin, duac, cephlex, yaz, and spiro. It has helped some but my derm wants me to try Accutane. I understand the MAJOR risks of becoming pregnant while on accutane, but i am wondering about its long term effects. If i become pregnant 2-3 months after stopping accutane, are there still risks to the baby? Does anyone have info on this? I am a newlywed so this information is very important to my decision. Thanks!

I had the same question. I am also 24 and my husband and I have been married for 2 years. We want kids, so I asked my derm when we could safely start trying for a baby after Accutane. Her answer to me was that the Accutane literature says to wait at least one full month after your last does of Accutane to start trying to conceive, but she suggests her patients wait until 6 months after the last does of Accutane to be certain that all of the drug is out of your system before getting pregnant.

If you decide to wait only 2-3 months after Accutane to start trying for a baby, it would be a good idea to schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN before you start trying and let him/her know that you are recently off Accutane. Ask for a blood test to make sure that the drug is out of your system. That way, you ensure that your future baby will have the best chance at being healthy.

Good luck!

I had the same question. I am also 24 and my husband and I have been married for 2 years. We want kids, so I asked my derm when we could safely start trying for a baby after Accutane. Her answer to me was that the Accutane literature says to wait at least one full month after your last does of Accutane to start trying to conceive, but she suggests her patients wait until 6 months after the last does of Accutane to be certain that all of the drug is out of your system before getting pregnant.

If you decide to wait only 2-3 months after Accutane to start trying for a baby, it would be a good idea to schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN before you start trying and let him/her know that you are recently off Accutane. Ask for a blood test to make sure that the drug is out of your system. That way, you ensure that your future baby will have the best chance at being healthy.

Good luck!

The waiting 6 months is good advice!!!

My derm said to wait at least six months. I think that is hugely important. Think about it, some say not to get anything waxed until six months afterwards because your skin is still so thin and sensitive. A family friend who is a pharmacist then told me that the longer you wait the better, but the bare minimum is six months. I myself am leaving a year in between stopping accutane and trying to get preggers.