Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ih8AcneUK

I don't know what to do...

Hi, I'm male and in my early 20's from the UK. Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong area or if it has all been covered many times before, I'm fairly new to the forum.

I'm plagued with blackheads on my nose, I've had them a long time and I think I've been scarred. There is an especially large pore that looks permanent and I'm worried that all the others will turn into permanent scars. At the moment they are all large very noticble pores, probably because they have black heads. I also have large pores on my cheeks close to my nose, they dont appear to have blackheads but they are very large for pores, I do not know if they still contain that yellow stuff or if they are now permanently that size and basically scarred. They attract acne to that area and I often get painful spots there which only "push" the pores up and make them even larger. I also have a large scar on my cheek that I have had since I was a child, I do not know the techinal term for it but it is like a hole, perfectly round and bowl shaped.

What I would like to know is if there is anything that can be done for my nose and cheeks a) stop the recurring blackheads and b) get something close to smooth skin. I have tried everything over the counter, I'd hate to think of the amount of money wasted. I know this is stupid but I'm afraid to go to the doctor as it feels like I'm going with a minor, non-life threatening complaint and it's embarrassing but it really is ruining my life. I can't look at people in the eyes because either they stare or I can sense in their eyes that they want to look but are holding back. It's an awful feeling, I talk with one hand covering my face and I have zero self confidence, especially talking to girls.

Sorry for the "wall of text" but I thought it best to get all the facts as accurate as possible.

Many thanks in advance for any help

If it troubles you so much that it makes you cover your face and be afraid to talk to people, I'd say it's not minor but a great enough problem for you to take it to the doctor.

Are people only allowed to go to a doctor if they have life-threathening conditions? Because then, nobody with acne would ever get to go to a doctor, since it's not a dangerous disease in that it in itself kills you.

But besides that, psychologically it can work disasters for you and that is something you must cherish just as much as your physical health (which is also influenced by how you feel).

My advise is; make that doctor appointment. What's the worst that could happen?

You might try a mandelic acid product - it can really help with blackheads and can help reduce the appearance of large pores. Its not something you can get in the drugstore, but it is an over the counter treatment and can be ordered from various companies online. Do a board search in this section for mandelic to get more information on it.