Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Éowyn

I'm so angry at doctors

Oh I'm so angry! I just found this area of the forum about spiro. I TOTALLY feel like my acne is hormonal and my anger is due to the fact that not once, in the 6 times i've seen a gp about my skin, even when I went to a derm did they even mention hormonal acne. My jawline is the only place I break out, and my face swims with grease all day.

WHY WHY WHY didn't they bother to ask me about where I break out instead of fobbing me off with ineffective products?? I went on minocin about five years ago , which took about 4 months to work, then stopped working after 4 months and I got the WORST breakout of my life, all over my face instead of just on the jawline. ANd its only been since taking minocin that my acne has left scars, before my skin was covered in spots but the ones that were healing didnt even leave a mark. I totally blame minocin for this.

I am furious because I feel like my doctors haven't even tried to help me out about whats causing this jawline acne - they just want to treat the symptoms not the cause. I'd never even HEARD of spiro till a few days ago when I read about it here, when I went to see the derm she told me that accutane was my ONLY option!!!!!!!! I live in Northern Ireland and I WANT SPIRO NOW!!!!!!!!

I've read all these posts about people having less grease and blocked pores clearing up and acne going down. Seriously I feel like this would help me too. I'm fuming that someone didnt tell me about this when I was 19 when my adult acne first started - a doctor should have.

ANyone in the UK - I'd love to hear how this works, can GP prescribe it, or do you have to wait and see a derm, or can you go to a private derm?? My GP is good but her bedside manbner leaves a lot to be desired! I'd love to know if she can give me spiro before i see her.

I'd love to hear from anyone, no matter where you are too, if you have any advice. UI'm already on a BCP, Femulen and I actually haven't had a period since I started taking it after having my daughter - 2 1/2 years ago!!! GP said this was normal. Howeever is there any affect on your fertility from taking spiro? I'd also love to hear from anyone with PCOS and the symptoms, I had VERY bad cramps during my period before I got pregnant, I'km not overweight but I am a hairy girl, I have to shave my arms. I also have the jawline acne.

I'm so annoyed I hardly know what I've written, I'd just love your help.

Oh I'm so angry! I just found this area of the forum about spiro. I TOTALLY feel like my acne is hormonal and my anger is due to the fact that not once, in the 6 times i've seen a gp about my skin, even when I went to a derm did they even mention hormonal acne. My jawline is the only place I break out, and my face swims with grease all day.

WHY WHY WHY didn't they bother to ask me about where I break out instead of fobbing me off with ineffective products?? I went on minocin about five years ago , which took about 4 months to work, then stopped working after 4 months and I got the WORST breakout of my life, all over my face instead of just on the jawline. ANd its only been since taking minocin that my acne has left scars, before my skin was covered in spots but the ones that were healing didnt even leave a mark. I totally blame minocin for this.

I am furious because I feel like my doctors haven't even tried to help me out about whats causing this jawline acne - they just want to treat the symptoms not the cause. I'd never even HEARD of spiro till a few days ago when I read about it here, when I went to see the derm she told me that accutane was my ONLY option!!!!!!!! I live in Northern Ireland and I WANT SPIRO NOW!!!!!!!!

I've read all these posts about people having less grease and blocked pores clearing up and acne going down. Seriously I feel like this would help me too. I'm fuming that someone didnt tell me about this when I was 19 when my adult acne first started - a doctor should have.

ANyone in the UK - I'd love to hear how this works, can GP prescribe it, or do you have to wait and see a derm, or can you go to a private derm?? My GP is good but her bedside manbner leaves a lot to be desired! I'd love to know if she can give me spiro before i see her.

I'd love to hear from anyone, no matter where you are too, if you have any advice. UI'm already on a BCP, Femulen and I actually haven't had a period since I started taking it after having my daughter - 2 1/2 years ago!!! GP said this was normal. Howeever is there any affect on your fertility from taking spiro? I'd also love to hear from anyone with PCOS and the symptoms, I had VERY bad cramps during my period before I got pregnant, I'km not overweight but I am a hairy girl, I have to shave my arms. I also have the jawline acne.

I'm so annoyed I hardly know what I've written, I'd just love your help.

Have you had an ultrasound done to confirm your suspicion that you have PCOS? By looking at your ovaries through a simple ultrasound, your doctor may be able to give you a definitive diagnosis.

Have you had an ultrasound done to confirm your suspicion that you have PCOS? By looking at your ovaries through a simple ultrasound, your doctor may be able to give you a definitive diagnosis.

Hey Eowyn, I'm in exactly the same position as you. I also live in the UK and have had several ineffective treatments for my jawline acne. I'm certain that the causes of my acne are also hormonal and I'm amazed at how the doctors have not suggested spiro, as it seems that it would have been common sense to. I'm now wondering whether or not spiro is available in the UK. I know that the BCP that I am on contains spiro, so I don't think there should be a problem in trying to get hold of the drug on its own... :confused:

I absolutely hear you and wondered myself why derms don't suggest that any adult coming in for acne get her hormone levels checked. I had an ultrasound once when I was 18 and it showed PCOS and the doctor told me that this was nothing to worry about and that I don't need to do anything about it (I didn't have any symptoms that bothered me then)

A year later I started getting acne and went on topicals then accutane. My acne came back and I restarted accutane only to discover in another ultrasound and a more caring physician that the PCOS is causing my acne and that spiro would prob help me

Just wanted to share this to encourage women who's acne developed as an adult (I harfly ever got a pimple until I turned 18) to get an ultrasound of ovaries and test their hormones!

Good luck on getting spiro and on clearing ur acne :)

i went to the doctor for my skin when i was 21 - i'm now 30. i realised that most people my age were getting over their acne while mine was getting worse. I was pescribed all different kinds of antibiotics that didnt do anything for me infact made me feel worse...and my doctor told me there was no other alternatives.

I was watching 'this morning' a few years ago and saw some girl talk about her acne and laser treatment and how it helped...and the gp there said any girl getting acne over the age of 21 should be referred and get tested. so while i was delighted to hear there were alternatives to taking antibiotics i was bloody furious with my gp as i had been feeling sucicidal over the state of my skin at times. Anyway I started googling and found this forum and trials and tribulations of everyone.

i bought an acne lamp and it helped but to my surprise the best thing thats helped me seems to be vitamins. (i hate taking pills but i take 5 with my breaky and have clear skin for the first time in years - i'm taking bcomplex, zinc, fish oil and olive oil and a multivit - all from holland and barratt) i drink water with lemon in during the day. Oh i also slap abit of bp on my face like dan's regiemen suggests and add a little moisturizer if i feel the skin start to get alittle dry.

highly tempted to go back to my usueless gp and staple the link to this forum to his head.

I live in Manchester and I get Spiro. Been on it since March. I wanted roaccutane, but the derm refused and said try Spiro. I'd never heard of it before, but after finding this site I knew it was worth a try. My GP just writes the prescriptions for me now, she'd never heard of using it for acne, but always seems happy to write them and she can see my skin is better, though not as good as I'd hoped.

I say demand a referral to a derm, then demand Spiro. There's been loads of studies on it, so any competent derm will have heard of it. The GP might be a bit clueless. Good luck!

Eowyn, if they wont discuss the treatment you want, ask to be refferred to an endocrinologist - they do all the hormone/pcos tests i believe.

Eowyn, I asked my GP for a hormone test the other day and she said to me that at the age of 19 a hormone test is unnecessary :S She also said that Dianette will help, now I'm coming off Yasmin because it was USELESS!!! I'm soo frustrated about this - 3 months of hell for nothing! I have done some research on Dianette, it contains a substance called co-cyprindiol, and its job is to block androgens (excess male hormones) from affecting the skin... I was thinking this piece of information may be of use to you.. But I am scared to start Dianette myself, after all the terrible side effects Yasmin gave me. Do keep me posted on what happens Eowyn, good luck.. XXX

PS: I also break down in tears everytime I sit in front of the doctor - on one occasion I just sat down and started crying without even saying a word! Thats what Yasmin + acne does to a person... :rolleyes: