Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stephie11

What Retin-A micro has done for me (with pics)

I feel like my IB has really become worse these past two weeks.

I've been using Retin A Micro .04% since June 3rd 2008

I also take Loestrin 24fe, but I don't know if this helps clear up acne.

Last week my derm. got me to start using DUAC for spot treatments and also put me on Doxycycline 150 mg. once a day.

I'm hoping that maybe this (worse than usual) flare up is because of starting the antibiotics.

I'm including pictures. Did any of yall's IBs look this bad around this time of treatment? I'm so discouraged and I really want to hear some feedback. Thanks...

I plan on giving retin-a at least 6 months to work... I've heard wonderful success stories

Thanks yall,

Steph

sorry for the gross pics!

Chin

Forehead

Left Cheek

Right Cheek

Yes, your doing the right thing but Doxycycline will clear up your skin but as soon you stop taking it after two weeks it will be the worser than you have even started in the first. I took it for one year but it have gotten so bad after I stop, retin-a clear it back up though after two months of using it. Duac will really help clear spots fast before skool begins.

I just recently started Duac & Retin-A. I did get a super breakout like you did, maybe not as bad, but still a breakout. I am on my 22nd day or so using Retin-A every night and duac in the morning. Although I have only been using Duac for about 2 weeks or so. I can really tell that my face is getting better. The Duac is very fastworking. Retin-A takes a while, but as a pair I think they are great. You really just have to give it time. I have heard everyone else on here say that. I am open to waiting.

Best of luck! ^_^

Retinoids will always cause an IB from experience and all the anecdotes I have read.

I used Differin and the IB is over although I am still getting small pimples on my nose. Skin is looking better though. Been about 11 weeks.

Stay the course for at least 3 months. Stay on the doxy, it will help lesson the inflammation. When you come off of it, slowly taper off it. And use a mild anti-bacterial cleanser like sebamed or something.

Your doing all you can do right now. Just dont over do it, your skin will be irritated and it wont help clear you any quicker.

Maybe your could try going on the pill or a low does of Spironolactone to help on the hormone front.

Hang in there, and try and not look at your skin too much. Give it time - 3 months.

Maybe your could try going on the pill or a low does of Spironolactone to help on the hormone front.

Hang in there, and try and not look at your skin too much. Give it time - 3 months.

I've been taking Loestrin 24fe (a BCP) for almost 2 months... it hasn't seemed to help lol. Although I always did break out really bad around my period. Maybe more time will tell. (I HOPE!!) :)

Your face looks exactally like mine.

I have been on mino and retisol -a cream now for about 3 months, what I thought was just an Ib seems to be comming back every time I get my period. Im being put on Spiro, maybe its something you could talk to your doctor or derm about if the pimples do not go away in 3 months.

I hope it works for you!

Guest jff1986

I've been on RAM for about 6 weeks. I haven't had a major breakout but the most annoying thing about it is that the skin area that I apply it to looks "different" from non-treated skin.. it looks shiny or wet.

Have you noticed this too?

Yeah I know what your talking about. It looks oily but its pretty dry? lol yay for make up (even though it doesn't cover up nearly as much as it should...)

RAM worked OK for me. I did have an IB but after two weeks my pores got smaller and clearer. However, I did keep getting occasional cystic pimples that left scars. I couldn't handle it anymore so I went on accutane. Accutane worked! :) I use trenitoin .025 now every other night just to prevent any breakouts or wrinkles (I'm 24) but I have had only one pimple since being of accutane for over a month now, almost two. Not sure if it's still the accutane or the trenitoin, either way I am finally CLEAR. YAY! Good luck and hang in there.

hm.... Personally im using only tretinoin cream for about 2 months now and i BELIEVE my IB already happened because my acne is actually clearing little by little but still have that flush look -__-

anyway, you should stop taking those pills because those pills only clear you up while you take them. They're like spot treatment, you get me? The cream alone should clear you up trust me because uve been on more than 3 months and you're flared up! I flared up on the 4th week and im on 6th week and barely clearing up little by little.

Antibiotics play with you and then leave you, cream is forever :D

hm.... Personally im using only tretinoin cream for about 2 months now and i BELIEVE my IB already happened because my acne is actually clearing little by little but still have that flush look -__-

anyway, you should stop taking those pills because those pills only clear you up while you take them. They're like spot treatment, you get me? The cream alone should clear you up trust me because uve been on more than 3 months and you're flared up! I flared up on the 4th week and im on 6th week and barely clearing up little by little.

I know, I didn't want to go on antibiotics at all.

On my initial dermatologist appointment (I had never been to one even though I've had acne since I was 9 years old, I'm nearly 19 now) I told him, I don't want to take antibiotics, I took tetracycline before and my family Dr didn't know what they were doing and let me take it for 3 years... so my 2 month check up rolls around and my face is all broke out and he was so insistent on antibiotics. And then he sarcastically says "well do you want to take accutane?" and I was like "hell no" so i said ok to antibiotics.

I need a new derm.

:(

but on the bright side, My skin has cleared up wonderfully since I posted this. I have no new acne on my cheeks, just red marks, and my forehead is clearing up too. My chin and upper lip flakes really bad around 3:00 pm though. BUT I was looking in my new drug reference book I got for nursing school and it said to avoid products with menthol in it, and it turns out my cleanser has menthol in it (its a natural cleanser, I guess I didn't bother to read up before I bought it)... BUT this cleanser doesn't burn like all the other cleansers did, and I peeled either way so I'm thinking about just using it anyways.

But I'm probably only clearing up because of the antibiotics, phooey

AND it probably helps that this week I have kept myself from popping and picking at scabs (which is a wonderful thing because I've been doing it insistively for nearly TEN YEARS)

Does anyone get super super dry and flakey around their mouth after like kissing/making out? I scared the crap out of my bf yesterday :|

I too was completely closed to Accutane. For various reasons. After toying arduously with OTC pills and topicals, anti's of both the oral and topical versions, and also countless alternative methods, I suppose I reached a crossroad.

I took a long-term, low-dose of Accutane for approximately one year up to November of 2007. I am yet to have any real breakout since. I originally suffered from mild acne, which progressed to moderate, then full blown nodulo-cystic acne.

The only real side effects I suffered were that my skin was quite sensitive for around 1 month, and dry throughout the entire course. This was maintainable though.

The message is basically to not be completely closed to Accutane use. There are ways of minimising both the side effects, and risks.

For me it got to the point where my psychological health became paramount, and that it seemed alot of the hype surrounding Accutane's ill effects was fuelled by people who had either had very rare experiences, or hadn't actually even used it before.

And I honestly believe that the long-term use of oral anti-biotic's is a far less desirable situation than one course of Accutane.

No disrespect to your preferences, simply airing my thoughts.

I know, I didn't want to go on antibiotics at all.

On my initial dermatologist appointment (I had never been to one even though I've had acne since I was 9 years old, I'm nearly 19 now) I told him, I don't want to take antibiotics, I took tetracycline before and my family Dr didn't know what they were doing and let me take it for 3 years... so my 2 month check up rolls around and my face is all broke out and he was so insistent on antibiotics. And then he sarcastically says "well do you want to take accutane?" and I was like "hell no" so i said ok to antibiotics.

But I'm probably only clearing up because of the antibiotics, phooey

same thing happen to me i cleared up with antibiotic tetracycline but after I ran out of pills i broke out massively in late June! thats how i started using tretinoin 0.1

I am looking into a new skincare line I found on the web. They have several lines including dry, combination dry, normal, combination oily, oily, and sensitive. What do yall think will work best with retin-a? I still get very dried out but pretty oily in other areas. I'm debating between combination dry and sensitive... what would yall suggest?

Here is the link

I am looking into a new skincare line I found on the web. They have several lines including dry, combination dry, normal, combination oily, oily, and sensitive. What do yall think will work best with retin-a? I still get very dried out but pretty oily in other areas. I'm debating between combination dry and sensitive... what would yall suggest?

Here is the link

wow the combination dry skin would work really good for my keratosis pilaris i hear.

so did you guys know that....

first week back to college

+ very intense nursing program

+ anatomy&physiology 2

= VERY TERRIBLE BREAKOUT

meh...

so did you guys know that....

first week back to college

+ very intense nursing program

+ anatomy&physiology 2

= VERY TERRIBLE BREAKOUT

meh...

Well i'm barely starting college as a freshman... soo don't ruin it >_<

Its good to know that you saw results after 6-7 months, because I was planning on giving it 6 months instead of the recommended 2-3 months. My skin is pretty stubborn.

I'm also starting to really notice a difference in my skin, but I think its mainly because of the antibiotic lol... Maybe by the time my derm takes me off the antibiotic, the retin-a would have really kicked in (doubt it). Whenever I use up the rest of my face care stuff, I decided to get the sensitive skin kit I mentioned earlier. I also noticed a big difference in my dryness because now I put moisturizer on my chin/upper lip as soon as I get done washing it. This has helped dramatically. I also started using aloe as everyone recommended, and I noticed it makes a GREAT primer for make up. It keeps my makeup on longer and with a lot less shine. Thanks guys!

Steph <3

Glad to hear things are clearing up for you! I'm about a month behind you on RAM 0.04%, and in the middle of my IB and it's BAD. A bright red nose with 11 very inflamed zits in 11 days (I'm almost proud of how absurd that is). Now it is spreading to my chin, I can feel it, though it can't be as bad as my nose was. I NEVER had acne this bad before. I'm also 30. I am thinking about adding my own homemade duac in the morning as I have cliindamycin swabs and BP cream that I could use together.

Anyway, reading posts like these gives me hope. So please keep posting, and congrats on your progress!

Glad to hear things are clearing up for you! I'm about a month behind you on RAM 0.04%, and in the middle of my IB and it's BAD. A bright red nose with 11 very inflamed zits in 11 days (I'm almost proud of how absurd that is). Now it is spreading to my chin, I can feel it, though it can't be as bad as my nose was. I NEVER had acne this bad before. I'm also 30. I am thinking about adding my own homemade duac in the morning as I have cliindamycin swabs and BP cream that I could use together.

Anyway, reading posts like these gives me hope. So please keep posting, and congrats on your progress!

somehow I never got a breakout on my nose, even before retina or any other acne treatment. I just have it everywhere else! I'd say 11 zits in 11 days is pretty good lol I get around 5-6 new pimples EVERY DAY :( i really hope this does work and doesn't like make my face worse off than it was before. I did notice that it pretty much got rid of a deep scar i had between my eyes though!

I too was completely closed to Accutane. For various reasons. After toying arduously with OTC pills and topicals, anti's of both the oral and topical versions, and also countless alternative methods, I suppose I reached a crossroad.

I took a long-term, low-dose of Accutane for approximately one year up to November of 2007. I am yet to have any real breakout since. I originally suffered from mild acne, which progressed to moderate, then full blown nodulo-cystic acne.

The only real side effects I suffered were that my skin was quite sensitive for around 1 month, and dry throughout the entire course. This was maintainable though.

The message is basically to not be completely closed to Accutane use. There are ways of minimising both the side effects, and risks.

For me it got to the point where my psychological health became paramount, and that it seemed alot of the hype surrounding Accutane's ill effects was fuelled by people who had either had very rare experiences, or hadn't actually even used it before.

And I honestly believe that the long-term use of oral anti-biotic's is a far less desirable situation than one course of Accutane.

No disrespect to your preferences, simply airing my thoughts.

This is gonna sound like the strangest thing, but you are a very good writer lol. Sophisticated and organized!

Anyway, all i have to say is that i have been using RAM 0.04 for 3 months now and have seen shit all. Barely an IB, but maybe some red painful areas that never surfaced as pimples. Absolutely NO reduction in blackheads as claimed by Orthoneutrogena (the makers). My derm gave me RAM to reduce my oiliness, cuz im an oil slick 2 hours after washing. To no one's surprize, it didnt reduce oil production in any way possible. Oh and my nose is so flakey it drives me INSANE.

Why has ram done absolutely nothing for me? I'm glad it's working for you guys! I want spiro.

To be honest, I don't care how bad my skin is, I'm never resorting to accutane. I'm just totally against it. Most of my acne is stress induced, and it clearly shows lately that I've been under enormous amounts of it. I think accutane would put me under even more stress and thus would probably do no good for me. And plus no one will benefit if they are taking something they don't want to take. Healing of any kind is as much psychological as it is physiological. I truly believe after I get through college, my acne will clear up significantly. If only I can minimize the scarring until then!

And plus, I'm taking so many meds right now I feel like shit 24/7! :)

yay for life, but you know what, you just gotta learn to deal with it. That's what I have to get through my head.

Hello, I just wanted to give a RAM "veterans" point of view. I'm into my 8th month of RAM and like a previous poster, I'm finally seeing results regarding pimple breakouts.

I started to really notice a difference in scarring around the 3rd or 4th month. My skin was a LOT smoother and breakouts were less and less, however they were still there. I will say that last week I had a full week of no pimples until Friday when one appeared and has disappeared by tonight. So keep going and don't give up....though it's hard not to. I've been at the point where I'm feeling like it's just not working enough but I'm so glad I stuck with it. Then again, ask me next week LOL.

I feel terrible. Today makes 14 weeks I've been using retin a micro. I've also been taking doxycycline and duac for over a month now. My face is the worse it has ever been. I have seen no improvements, not even in scarring. I have over 25 big deep painful pimples on my face at this moment. I don't know what else to do. My acne is stress related, I know that. at this point I honestly think my "regimen" is not going to work. I would be better off if I just went back to proactiv and had 3-4 big bumps. I don't know if I can make it to December (my 6 month mark)

ughhhh

nursing school is going to ruin my skin for life (scar wise)