Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lalalalaloopsy

How bad is chewing gum?

Gum will rot your teeth. Even rich people who have million like Michael Jordan have yellowish teeth from chewing gum all the time - even during games. Doesn't matter if it has sugar or not either. Constantly using your teeth will wear them out.

I heard that chewing gum a lot can cause microscopic cracks in your enamel.

No, you are talking about grinding teeth not chewing gum :lol: I happen to subconciously grind my teeth when I sleep and I have to wear a mouthguard for it. There is nothing wrong with chewing sugar free gum. It helps prevent cavities

It can be beneficial to chew gum after eating acidic foods or drinks, so your alkaline saliva can prevent acid erosion. That is what my dentist told me. Although I'm sure if done excessively it can cause problems.

LOL show me some proof in that necromancer..... it actually can make them stronger

My dentist even recommends chewing sugarfree Trident

I don't need proof. It is common sense in mechanical systems. I don't care if the gum has listerine, tartar control, and flouride mixed in one. Using your teeth to chew anything other than air, is using them. Over the course of years, your teeth will wear down. It is simple as that. Think of it like rocks in a drum full of liquid. As the rocks tumble (similar structure to teeth), the rocks wear down. And this is with liquid. Gum is between liquid and a solid.

Correct.

No, you are talking about grinding teeth not chewing gum :lol: I happen to subconciously grind my teeth when I sleep and I have to wear a mouthguard for it. There is nothing wrong with chewing sugar free gum. It helps prevent cavities

???

It can be beneficial to chew gum after eating acidic foods or drinks, so your alkaline saliva can prevent acid erosion. That is what my dentist told me. Although I'm sure if done excessively it can cause problems.

Then don't eat acidic foods or drinks. You are basically using gum to heal a problem that could of been prevented in the first place.

Has anyone read the back of sugar free gum? anyone?

It says "Chewing sugar free gum after meals as been clinically proven to help prevent gum disease"

Or is there just some conspiracy that i know nothing about?

Uh, Necro was talking about chewing gum all the time, not just after meals

See?....

Gum will rot your teeth. Even rich people who have million like Michael Jordan have yellowish teeth from chewing gum all the time - even during games. Doesn't matter if it has sugar or not either. Constantly using your teeth will wear them out.
Uh, Necro was talking about chewing gum all the time, not just after meals

See?....

Yeah, obviously my common sense or lack of when stated by some posters is about as bad as the reading comprehension on here. I was talking about chewing it all the time, nothing to do with after meals. People like vector_ are complete morons on this site.

If gum rots your teeth why would a dentist recommend it! Everyone knows the right kind of sugar free gum will be good for your teeth, common knowledge. I also think and hope that gum wouldn't be bad for your face.

Has anyone read the back of sugar free gum? anyone?

It says "Chewing sugar free gum after meals as been clinically proven to help prevent gum disease"

Or is there just some conspiracy that i know nothing about?

Chewing gum can dislodge food particles which might otherwise be broken down by bacteria in the mouth and cause cavities and other nasties. Gum chewing also increases the production of saliva, which has a tooth-frienly pH. Chewing gum too often, however, can wear down the enamel of the tooth. At least, those are the things I've been told.

Gum with sugar is bad, because obviously sugar can give you cavities and sugar is also bad for you. But sugar free gum has artificial sweeteners which are apparently really bad for you also. So I'm just done chewing gum all around.

Well the time you get the most benefit from chewing gum is after a meal but it will not rot your teeth even if you chew sugarfree gum all the time. Even if it does wear down the enamel that is not your teeth rotting... As you get older your enamel gets worn down anyways. And peoples teeth being yellow certainly doesn't have to do with chewing sugarfree gum all the time. So you saying that chewing gum all the time will rot your teeth is just wrong. People like you that just spout out claims without any proof are the morons on this site. I have seen you do it about other subjects too.

If we go by standard Tooth Championship competition rules, I am 99.999% certain I would beat you in:

-Whiteness

-Alignment

-Fewest Cavities and Tooth Damage

-Shape

-Smile

You can chew gum all you want, but until you can beat me based on those rules, it doesn't really matter.

Well the time you get the most benefit from chewing gum is after a meal but it will not rot your teeth even if you chew sugarfree gum all the time. Even if it does wear down the enamel that is not your teeth rotting... As you get older your enamel gets worn down anyways. And peoples teeth being yellow certainly doesn't have to do with chewing sugarfree gum all the time. So you saying that chewing gum all the time will rot your teeth is just wrong. People like you that just spout out claims without any proof are the morons on this site. I have seen you do it about other subjects too.

If we go by standard Tooth Championship competition rules, I am 99.999% certain I would beat you in:

-Whiteness

-Alignment

-Shape

-Smile

You can chew gum all you want, but until you can beat me based on those rules, it doesn't really matter.

LOL.

I didn't laugh because I think this is funny. I laughed because I know you aren't joking.

It's a scary day where people should be afraid to address issues with well thought out posts (and evidence from published articles) and still be combated on the validity (with out evidence).

Not that it matters because this is where we talk about how the dental industry "wants" us to chew gum so we keep visiting their business. This is the reason why there are no published articles supporting the theory that gum is bad.

italics = sarcasm

-Whiteness

-Alignment

-Shape

-Smile

LOL.

I didn't laugh because I think this is funny. I laughed because I know you aren't joking.

It's a scary day where people should be afraid to address issues with well thought out posts (and evidence from published articles) and still be combated on the validity (with out evidence).

Not that it matters because this is where we talk about how the dental industry "wants" us to chew gum so we keep visiting their business. This is the reason why there are no published articles supporting the theory that gum is bad.

italics = sarcasm

It's funny how people who think they know so much are in reality so ignorant and blind of the situation. Read the famous article called Nacirema (American spelled backwards for those that are slow). It talks about the dental industry as well as other so-called truths that are provided by organizations that provide the service to fix the so-called truths. You already sound like an idiot by being yet another person using the general statement 'the dental industry'. It is funny but pretty sad that so many want to be smart or sound smart but haven't read a damn book on the other side of the story.

If you haven't quite figured out your flaw, it is basic business class. It is the same thing the medical industry does, the automotive industry, or any other well-known industry. Let me first talk about the medical industry in expectations that you or some other loser on this site will say 'the medical industry says'... If you got a health problem, you get a pill. The medical industry who is composed of doctors as well as backed by smart businessmen will create and market something that will fix that problem but give you other problems. Basically it is a way to generate money consistently. Don't understand yet?

Here is something that will blow your mind. The so-called truth that tells every driver to change oil every 3000 miles is the biggest myth today. I dare some idiot to come with me about how it is required but you will lose everytime since I am not only a nuclear engineer but my previous job was working at World Wide Automotive overseeing the manufacturing of automotive parts. Basically if they didn't tell you 3000 miles, but lets say 1500 miles, you know how much more money that would bring? The reason they don't is far beyond this topic and most wouldn't understand unless they have knowledge of both business and the auto industry.

Back to dental 'recommendations'. First read Nacirema and then come back with your propaganda BS. You may realize how you have been fooled all along. To dumb it down: there is nothing that will prevent the dental industry from recommending things that will benefit them in the long run - both as a business and as a dependent money machine.

-Whiteness

-Alignment

-Shape

-Smile

LOL.

italics = sarcasm

It's funny how people who think they know so much are in reality so ignorant and blind of the situation. Read the famous article called Nacirema (American spelled backwards for those that are slow). It talks about the dental industry as well as other so-called truths that are provided by organizations that provide the service to fix the so-called truths. You already sound like an idiot by being yet another person using the general statement 'the dental industry'. It is funny but pretty sad that so many want to be smart or sound smart but haven't read a damn book on the other side of the story.

If you haven't quite figured out your flaw, it is basic business class. It is the same thing the medical industry does, the automotive industry, or any other well-known industry. Let me first talk about the medical industry in expectations that you or some other loser on this site will say 'the medical industry says'... If you got a health problem, you get a pill. The medical industry who is composed of doctors as well as backed by smart businessmen will create and market something that will fix that problem but give you other problems. Basically it is a way to generate money consistently. Don't understand yet?

Here is something that will blow your mind. The so-called truth that tells every driver to change oil every 3000 miles is the biggest myth today. I dare some idiot to come with me about how it is required but you will lose everytime since I am not only a nuclear engineer but my previous job was working at World Wide Automotive overseeing the manufacturing of automotive parts.(part-time warehouse manager) Basically if they didn't tell you 3000 miles, but lets say 1500 miles, you know how much more money that would bring? The reason they don't is far beyond this topic and most wouldn't understand unless they have knowledge of both business and the auto industry.

Back to dental 'recommendations'. First read Nacirema and then come back with your propaganda BS. You may realize how you have been fooled all along. To dumb it down: there is nothing that will prevent the dental industry from recommending things that will benefit them in the long run - both as a business and as a dependent money machine.

I knew you would bring this up when you got desperate with this pointless debate, your post is less erudite and ostentatious now that I marked out the unnecessary verbal attacks.

Don't get me wrong. I believe it, that's why I knew you would bring it up. The point is it's not applicable to this discussion because it's hardly relevant.

It's disgusting that you used this as your last resort "OMG I LOST an ARGUEMNT!!!" Ironically I was mocking you by "sarcastically" saying that you would do this, and you happened to do it regardless of me mocking you for it. You make blanket statements of your readers being slow and you still responded to this thread? Wait.... no you're right I am slow because I wasted time reading your post.

We are talking about chewing gum, not who has the perfect smile, or corporations that are industrialized for profit.

BTW you remind me of Ann Coulter, and yes that's meant as an insult. Even when you are wrong you become defensive and condescending beyond justification. What's more shocking is you have zealots out there who follow you just because of your aura of pseudo-confidence, no wonder why you stay at this site.

You preach about understanding both sides of the argument, just thought I'd wrap it up with that because I found it funny after reading your posts for the last month or so.