Notifications
Clear all

HELP ...DAMAGED SKIN ..red MARKS ..!!!

MemberMember
(@nirojini)

Posted : 08/13/2008 3:35 pm

I put too much benzoyl peroxide all over my skin it was 5% and it was too sensitive for my skin and got really burned and my skin was peeling so much ... so I put some vaseline and peeled the skin off ...now it has been over 5 months and I am still seeing the affects of the benzoyl peroxide it has really damaged my skin and it also made me get many pimples due to this ...and my skin is really thin now and is really damaged and dark and I think the skin has become very old looking due to this and I'm only 21 !!!! will my skin go back to normal ....what can I do ???? is the skin permanently going to be like this ??? Will I have the burnt damaged skin forever ??how can I heal this ??? My skin has lost its youthful look and feel ..what to do ? My skin used to be so much whiter but it looks very dark now and damaged ..i don't know what to do ... I very sad cuz of this ...plz help me !!! thanks ur help is very appreciated !!! Will Benzoyl peroxide damage the skin structure and its ability ?

MemberMember
(@sid99)

Posted : 08/13/2008 6:52 pm

First of all I am very surprised BP could do this. Personally it is hard to tell the damage that may have been caused without a picture but if you are still using the BP gel I would stop right away. This matter is probably best for a dermatologist to assess but I will try my best to address it.

By the sound of it your skin type seems to be sensitive. I would advise you to go to your derm or gp and ask for oral medication to control your acne as apposed to topical means. This way your skin will get a chance to heal efficiently without being irritated. Hopefully an effective oral medication will allow your acne to clear up as well.

Let me also tell you that patience is paramount in this. I was burned by a glycolic acid home peel on my cheek 7 months ago and ONLY now has it almost faded. It takes time as the damage is probably several layers deep. The good thing is you are young and your healing abilities are at its prime. Please do not stress it will fade although it may seem nothing like that to you now.

I believe it is a combination of topicals and active acne and the presence of hyperpigmentation which are making your skin appear old and and not heal properly. Once you start taking some oral medication I will then advise you to also take some supplements such as zinc and vit c daily and have a blanced diet containg fresh fruit and veg to aid healing internally. I will also advice you to use a gentle moisturiser such as cetaphil at all times and use sunscreen whenever you go out. I find suncreen generally pore clogging and dont like to take the risk so I would advise you stay our of the sun as much as possible if you can. However if you are out in daylight sunscreen is important (high factor and non comodogenic). Like I said this wont be easy.

Your hyperpigmentation on the other hand WILL fade, but will probably take several months, seems long, but it isnt, keep yourself motivated and hopefully you will see results on a weekly/monthly basis. Don't do anything drastic you will probably regret it, give youself time and plan 6 months ahead. You can try a safe and effective skin lightener containing arbutin or kojic acid later on to help even the skin but once again I will advice against anything as most contain mild exfoliants. I will advice against exfoliating in general if your skin is feeling weak, its not a good idea in your situation. Let it heal naturally for some time and just keep it moisturised. Once again cetaphil is the best for that. Also drink plenty of water, very important to keep your skin hydrated.

If general oral medication such as antibitoics isnt working you could try a low dose of accutane, ask your derm about it, because it could be very well that your active acne is inhibitting your skin from healing properly. But before you take such measures try a gently oral medicine such as tetracyline or minocycline etc. There are many so research. This site is great for that.

Make sure you go see a derm quickly. Don't think your skin is permanently doomed, it isnt believe me people with second degree burns can heal fully so im sure you can to. Good luck and keep checking these boards they are very helpful.

MemberMember
(@nirojini)

Posted : 08/14/2008 2:25 pm

ooh thanks alot for the advice and info it was really helpful I really appreciate it ... my skin type is like sensitive and acne prone skin and a bit oily but since I used benzoyl peroxide it has become extra sensitive but less oily kind of dry ... ya I went to the doctor like a month ago he put me on minocin antibotic ...I guess it has been helping a little, I guess its my active acne that has been hindering the healing process of my skin ..hopefully like u said it will get better ...the only problem is my skin looks uneven and blotchy and like kind of damaged and one thing I wanted to ask is after I wash my face it looks kind of fair but after a while like a hour or so dead skin builds up and my skin looks dark why is that ???

MemberMember
(@sid99)

Posted : 08/15/2008 5:31 pm

Ye it does seem as though your skin isnt healing properly. I think the most important thing is for you to clear yourself of the active acne before worrying about the blothy appearance. Even I have that but as my acne gets better with accutane things are improving. As long as you have acne you will have a blotchy appearance. The thing is for your skin to even out it will take months upon months but only if it isnt hindered by damage to your skin, here being your acne. Go to your derm tell him or her it is serious and the antiobiotics are not clearing you up properly. You could also try taking vit e capsules to help the damaged skin from the inside. Also I REALLY advice you start using cetaphil gentle moisturser, you will love it!

MemberMember
(@ooo)

Posted : 08/16/2008 8:58 am

Do you use lotion? Whenever I put too much BP on my skin. It gets red and starts peeling. Lotion works wonders on areas where my skin gets irritated and red due to too much BP. I have very sensitive skin as well and I just give my skin a break from BP every once in a while. I make sure I put on lotion 2-3 times a day. Once in the morning, once after I shower and then once more before I sleep.

MemberMember
(@nirojini)

Posted : 08/16/2008 5:15 pm

well I did use lotion ..well not really when I was applying the bp ... but when my skin dried up ... I used lotion but that didn't seem to make the dryness go away ..so I applied vaseline to my skin ...and I think I made a mistake by scraping the dead skin off too early ...and maybe that's why my skin is more damaged ... also b4 I used bp my skin wasn't blotchy or uneven it just had pimples and I didn't have that many red pimples ....but ever since I used bp my skin texture is uneven and blotchy and seems like I have little bumps on my cheeks even though they are not pimples and I have soo many red pimples after that ... and rite now I don't have any active acne for 4 weeks now ....but the blotchiness doesn't seem to go away ... I don't know what to do about it ??? .... plz see my pics in Damaged skin ... red marks ..pics included and tell me what you think ? and do you think the skin will become better ? thanks

MemberMember
(@toolson)

Posted : 08/16/2008 11:31 pm

from the looks of your non severe acne, i think the blotchy skin is a result of not allowing your skin to heal properly and applying too much product to it. use plenty of quality moisturizer and don't scrape or rub away the uneven skin forcefully. it will get better as long as you keep doing this, will eventually even out your texture and tone.

MemberMember
(@user555318)

Posted : 08/26/2016 10:13 pm

Hey, I'm 8 years late to this but I'm a teenager and had the same exact experience with Benzoyl Peroxide soap. I carelessly used 10% because I didn't think I had sensitive skin. I had breakouts before, but after overusing the BP my skin got many grey and brown and purple marks that are still present after many months. I have to wear makeup every day for my skin. Anyways, I was wondering if your skin damage ever cleared up in the time that has passed, and if you did anything special to speed recovery? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 01/25/2017 9:00 pm

I would like to know if you recovered as well becaus empire description sounds an awful lot like some
of the stuff I'm experiencing with retinoid damage

MemberMember
(@user555318)

Posted : 01/25/2017 9:11 pm

I left a comment on your thread about tazorac, but basically the purple marks have been steadily fading since august (when i last overdosed on BP) but are still not completely gone. as for the problem woth dehydration on my forehead, i cant really tell if it has gotten better since it is winter now and i might be experiencing it worse tha normal cuz of that. i feel that my forehead is slowly starting to produce more oil (it used to be super oily, now barely), but i hate the shiny thin layer of cellophane  like skin coveing it, and when i  tug it the skin wrinkles up still. i am a high school senior and this is so depressing, i just wish i could be confident again :( as for your enlarged pores i didnt get those so i cant speak for that, but yes the purpl marks are fading! although as i said in my other post, i am using differin and other stuf on them :) 

MemberMember
(@user555318)

Posted : 01/25/2017 10:12 pm

just figured out you were talking to the original poster of this thread and not me, nvm

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 01/25/2017 10:59 pm

36 minutes ago, TrueFine said:

just figured out you were talking to the original poster of this thread and not me, nvm

Its okay lol, I was confused at first I thought u had another account or something...I replied to you on my other post btw..just now...I didn't know you were using differin...r u sure that's not preventing any healing and prolonging the plastic wrap look? Given the fact that a retinoid is what caused my own issue in the first place.
You know your skin better than I do tho so don't let me tell you what to do if you think it's working.

I actually have trouble realizing if my skin is producing oil or not..it used to get quite oily if I didn't wash it (never had large pores with my oil tho, it always seems like healthy/happy oil if that makes sense)..it's hard to tell because the plastic look is always there..I can see little droplets of oil on my nose tho...but nowhere else...and this is also the place that I actually peeled more unlike the rest of my face..it's like the rest of my face refused to renew itself..or didn't have enough extra layers to begin with...I thought it would have Aton to go through tho because prior to using this stuff, I hadn't been washing my face hardly at all.
With all the burning I got I thought I would have molted like a snake but that didn't happen either.

MemberMember
(@maisondavinho)

Posted : 05/30/2018 1:26 am

It happened to me. But even worse.
i used it on my temples and cheeks for only one night.
after that my skin has never been the same.
its wrinkly, thinned, shiny some places,
enlarged pores, pores/holes Which i didnt have before - basically my skin now looks like orange peel, terrible uneven texture.
besides that it has damaged my skin barrier, it keeps getting inflamed, irritated Where i used the BP and Its now been 4 months since. I dont know What to do anymore...