Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heyo

"Nothing works for red marks."

Has anyone else been told this? I have been told this on several occasions by dermatologists and estheticians. Is it true? I'm starting to think so because I have yet to see anyone with a dramatic result on red marks by using any product or treatment. Are we wasting our time?

I am kind of starting to believe this myself. I think the only thing that helps with red marks is time and exfoliation. I think exfoliating helps speed up getting rid of the red marks. But there is only so much exfoliation that we can do at a time. So that is where time takes place... and of course the worse the red mark.. the more time it takes. So I think the only thing you can do is Exfoliate and keep your skin hydrated.

Let me tell you, you are right. If there is anything out there that can help, its either very insignificant, expensive, and/or carries risks, OR ofcourse a combination of these things. Once the initial epidermal layer has healed after a pimple, cyst or any other traumatised area (left after acne specifically) nothing can really help the red mark topically as the problem is lower down. What may help is your internal intake of dietary supplements. However these also may very insignifcant or useless especially if you already maintain a healthy and balanced diet.

So why do redmarks take so long to heal? Firstly the human body is very efficient. My theory is that when an area of skin is traumatized the body first line of defence is to prevent infection so it repairs the outer layer first. Once this is done repairing the remaining damage deeper down is no longer a priority and can be done at a slower pace as it will not effect any bodily processes. Also more importantly now lets look at the skin cycle. It takes roughly 28 days for a new basal layer of skin to form. Once this is done it pushes the above layer upwards and the top layer is the layer that sheds off. The layer below the top layer (before it sheded off) is now the new top layer that we see. So imagine this inflammation caused by acne could span several layers so it would take several sets of 28 day cycles for the area to be completed regenerated hence why it probably takes so long for the red marks to fade. This in my opinion also explain the reason red marks dont spontaneously dissapear but fade gradually!

Now the only thing that can probably help speed this process (albeit insignificantly) is exfoliation. By exfoliating you help increase the speed of this cycle or repair. But ofcourse there is only a certain maxiumum speed at which your skin can regenerate so exfoliation has its limits exposed fairly quickly.

The only really effective thing you can do is give your skin time to regenerate and expect to wait several months if not more (depending on the severity) for your red marks to fade!

No, and it's absolutely not true... unless you're looking for a flawless, foolproof miracle cure. Of course everything has its risks, but the more 'potent' methods - like peels - can be very effective when done right. Personally, I've been using MaMa lotion for almost a month now, and while my skin is far from perfect, the red marks have faded considerably. There's no way that red marks will fade quickly, even with help, but there are remedies that speed up the healing process significantly.

I would say AHAs are the best remedy for red marks, but I haven't tried any others. Still wondering about hydroquinone.

In my experience HQ hasn't done anything for red marks. The idea of an AHA makes sense I guess because it would exfoliate the dead skin that is possibly the healing skin (red). All HQ does is blocks melanin receptors (I'm no scientist and can't go into detail), but generally it brightens overall skin tone and brown spots (both of which are melanin-based, unlike red marks which are just healing spots).

I hope you're right about the peels since I'm having one done soon for other reasons.

Oh and for the record, feel free to tan if you're only concern is red marks because it isn't based on melanin production which means they won't get any darker.

i completely agree with this, it isnt worth the time, money or the trouble imo. your just pulling your own chain.

Peels and chemicals can only do so much. The problem with red marks is that.. they're not a true problem at all, at least not according to our bodies. Red marks are signs of that a scar is not yet fully developed. Blood vessels are still formed underneath where the scar is and excessive blood vessels are not a priority for our bodies, that's why they are not reabsorbed, and that's why some of us have so much trouble dealing with red marks.

As much as i didnt want to believe it i have also come to the conclusion that the only thing which can help my red marks is time.......... that and a power sander...... unfortunately the latter would probably kill me, so ill just have to go with the time option

are u guys kidding me!? Wow

I made the red marks vanish with tretinoin 0.1% in 1 month! i would wait for it to peel a little then i would scrub vererrryyyy gently in a hot bath where i could see the red marks scraping off.

Ive bin told by many doctres in my area dhat redmarks cannot really be healed fastre... by the use of any products...nd dhat sum products just gives you the illution of working.

they's told me you can do many things to slow down the healing prosess, but nothing to fasten. The best is to leave it alone and let teh body heals itself and not interfre with the prosess. So if it dissapeured fast with the use of a chemicle, then it was just a coinsidens becaws it was going to heal fast anyway without the chemical.

So yes frend, nothing really works for red marks, but your own body, some chemicals can help the body, but so so many just interfre.

I made the red marks vanish with tretinoin 0.1% in 1 month! i would wait for it to peel a little then i would scrub vererrryyyy gently in a hot bath where i could see the red marks scraping off.

unfortunately (fortunately for you) you were probably just a lucky case. On most occasions this doesnt happen, it might be a sign your skin is very good at healing. I believe they would have faded for you quite quickly regardless of the tretinoin. Also I have never heard of "red marks scraping off".

Medications specially to help heal red marks speed up the process of healing red marks than not using any medication.

There are mild and strong medications usually arranged by your local doctor to help you choose the right one with healing red marks.

Usually while going to a Dermatologist you will receive samples of the medication that should last you for a long time, and you can always ask for more samples.

unfortunately (fortunately for you) you were probably just a lucky case. On most occasions this doesnt happen, it might be a sign your skin is very good at healing. I believe they would have faded for you quite quickly regardless of the tretinoin. Also I have never heard of "red marks scraping off".

I was exxagerating a bit, my red marks were just peeling off that's what i mean. And i have newer red marks from the IB (which wasn't bad). They will take about 2 months to clear i suppose. And i just want to say that Tretinoin makes the process of diminishing red marks faster. If i didn't use the tretinoin 0.1% my old red marks would have lasted 1 year instead of half a year to clear. :surprised:

Well they're wrong because TCA destroys my red marks. All you need is a lot of time and patience.

Im 100% sure red marks will fade....but can take up quite some time...

on me...the marks from pimple usually will go back to normal color in 2 weeks

I think the reason why red marks appear, is because we broke the blood vessels under the skin

so it'll appear red~ but it'll heal itself eventually

There's no immediate cure tho

ha seems like there is no cure for red marks ..cure within months ??? lolz maybe not severe or maybe people just bullshit about it ...doesnt make sense ...if there is a cure then show your picture before and after....

Red marks will fade over time, yeah, but you can speed it up with exfoliation, as aforementioned. Glycolic exfoliation is the best. I'm using an 8% right now, twice a day, and some of the month old red marks are fading faster than usual.

ha seems like there is no cure for red marks ..cure within months ??? lolz maybe not severe or maybe people just bullshit about it ...doesnt make sense ...if there is a cure then show your picture before and after....

what makes u think red mark wont fade?

it just takes time to recover

My forehead used to covered with pimples when I was younger at like 7th grade

and my forehead's skin is normal now

Red marks take forever to fade but if you want faster results, you may want to ask a dermatologist about chemical peels. I've had 6 sessions of glycolic peeling done a couple of years ago and it has significantly improved my skin. Even other people noticed and asked me what I had done.

Other treatments I've tried for red marks are IPL and microdermabrasion (power peel/diamond peel)which did not help at all. So save your money and don't give these a try because they don't work for red marks. Btw, glycolic peel is cheaper than these 2 useless treatments.