Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm trying to cut dairy from my diet, so that means no milk. Can I drink soy milk instead?

Some people have no problems with soy milk, others don't like the hormones in soy. I think if you don't have a lot of other soy products in your diet, it should be fine. Personally, I prefer the flavor of Almond Milk to soy, but Almond milk is a tad pricey! :)

I am going to move this to the diet/holistic section - you may get more responses there.

Soy milk is a no-no for me. I'd suggest almond milk, very easy to make yourself if you find it too expensive.

coconut milk!!

just buy a coconut and use its juice +meat

ground the meat...

then boil the juice + meat = coconut milk!!

Just a note: coconut milk is very high in fat, especially the saturated kind. It tastes lovely, though.

If you've cut out milk from your diet, and the first thing you do is try to find something that looks and tastes just like it, I think you're not seeing the point of adopting a new diet in the first place.

Giving up dairy should be an opportunity to find something new and see how great-tasting your diet can be without dairy or dairy replacements.

But I would recommend almond, rice, or coconut milk if you must have any.

As others have said, some people have problems with soy milk. I didn't digest it too well and found myself bloated and having stomach cramps whenever I drank or ate soy products. When I do need "milk" I use rice milk.

Has anyone else had recent problems with soy milk? I started using it about 3-4 weeks ago, and from reading information around the net, I think soy is a direct problem to my most current break out. It's ALL along my mouth, chin. Large white puss filled. NOW I think I know what is causing this. I NEVER had this before until I started drinking soy. I do have hormonal acne, but last month, the month before, etc (around my time of the month), I didn't get this, but boy oh boy I think this is the cause. I'm going to stop soy for awhile to see if I improved. I'm also recently off of topicals, but still, this is messed up. :eh:

Soy breaks out my neck. No one who has hormonal acne should go anywhere near soy, especially if you're a guy. I don't get why people switch to soy milk. Why not almond milk, rice milk, hemp milk, etc.? Why soy? Especially considering it's riskier than the other milk alternatives (unless you have a nut allergy, then almond milk would be riskier).

Soy breaks out my neck. No one who has hormonal acne should go anywhere near soy, especially if you're a guy. I don't get why people switch to soy milk. Why not almond milk, rice milk, hemp milk, etc.? Why soy? Especially considering it's riskier than the other milk alternatives (unless you have a nut allergy, then almond milk would be riskier).

i have hormonal acne and i've been drinking soymilk for years. i don't think it's ever affected my acne. everyone is different. try it and see how you react to it.

Well, I'm a woman, but reading up on everything, I'm going to stay away from it. I don't really drink soy milk, just usually in cereal, or if I'm cooking. BUT recently I've been eating cereal every night cause it's filling. Looks like I'm going to make the switch to another. Rice or almond is good?

Well, I'm a woman, but reading up on everything, I'm going to stay away from it. I don't really drink soy milk, just usually in cereal, or if I'm cooking. BUT recently I've been eating cereal every night cause it's filling. Looks like I'm going to make the switch to another. Rice or almond is good?

I tried rice milk and it's okay. I don't drink the almond one because i'm staying away from nuts. But, i remember people saying that it was tasty. If i were to drink milk all the time, i'd make my own with hemp and my vitamix.

Milk (cow's milk) used to be a staple in my diet. But, i'm not really a fan of any kind of milk anymore.

Soy milk is okay, I never had probs with it but it just wasn't my thing...I have tried the chocolate and vanilla but i'm just not a huge milk drinker so I stick to buying non fat organic for the kids and myself if I have a bowl of cereal or something, or for cooking.

I am however dying to try Almond Milk. I have the ingredients just haven't done it yet...soon! I have the stuff for coconut and apricot as well. Sounds so yum!! MAy have to make some Pina Colada's with homeade coconut milk this weekend! :)

I'm trying to cut dairy from my diet, so that means no milk. Can I drink soy milk instead?

Some people have no problems with soy milk, others don't like the hormones in soy. I think if you don't have a lot of other soy products in your diet, it should be fine. Personally, I prefer the flavor of Almond Milk to soy, but Almond milk is a tad pricey! :)

I am going to move this to the diet/holistic section - you may get more responses there.

Soy has trace amounts of estrogens; however, estrogens are not a main cause for sebum production from hormonal variances, that's testosterone. Soy milk is okay in that regard, but there's a arguable debate on whether soy milk is actually nutritious for you with regards to processed soy.

Both soy and milk are common food allergens for people who suffer from acne. I personally am allergic to milk but soy milk doesnt taste any better. I once bought a carton from the grocery store, took three sips, and threw it away. It tasted aweful!

I tried rice milk and it's okay. I don't drink the almond one because i'm staying away from nuts. But, i remember people saying that it was tasty. If i were to drink milk all the time, i'd make my own with hemp and my vitamix.

Milk (cow's milk) used to be a staple in my diet. But, i'm not really a fan of any kind of milk anymore.

Almonds aren't really nuts, so having a hypersensitivity to nuts doesn't necessarily mean you have a hypersensitivity to almonds. They are the seed of a fruit related to cherries, peaches, plums, etc. Genus Prunus. Which are another fairly common allergen, though, so this means you need to test them seperately.

Almonds aren't really nuts, so having a hypersensitivity to nuts doesn't necessarily mean you have a hypersensitivity to almonds. They are the seed of a fruit related to cherries, peaches, plums, etc. Genus Prunus. Which are another fairly common allergen, though, so this means you need to test them seperately.

Doesn't really matter for me since i'm avoiding seeds too. My reason for avoiding them has to do with their high fat content. I'm not sensitive to any nuts and seeds

In a traditional Japanese diet soy products are a major staple. Until western diets gained popularity in Japan and much of soy was replaced by milk products, Japanese acne incidences were almost non-existent.

Of course, if you have an allergy to soy you should stay away (common sense), and if you're trying it for the first time, you should be cautious and gradually introduce it into your diet.

Soy contains phytoestrogens, which don't cause acne, and anti-androgens (angrogens are the hormones that do cause acne). So theoretically, it would clear acne. Once again, be cautious, as many people are hormonaly sensitive.

A healthy balanced diet in general is important too, there is no ONE cure for acne.

I'd say it's worth a cautious shot. Birth control cleared my acne but made me feel a bit crazy, so i quit... and it's back.... and I now know that my acne is hormonal. So now i'm trying soy!

In a traditional Japanese diet soy products are a major staple. Until western diets gained popularity in Japan and much of soy was replaced by milk products, Japanese acne incidences were almost non-existent.

Of course, if you have an allergy to soy you should stay away (common sense), and if you're trying it for the first time, you should be cautious and gradually introduce it into your diet.

Soy contains phytoestrogens, which don't cause acne, and anti-androgens (angrogens are the hormones that do cause acne). So theoretically, it would clear acne. Once again, be cautious, as many people are hormonaly sensitive.

A healthy balanced diet in general is important too, there is no ONE cure for acne.

I'd say it's worth a cautious shot. Birth control cleared my acne but made me feel a bit crazy, so i quit... and it's back.... and I now know that my acne is hormonal. So now i'm trying soy!

The soy in japanese diets is not the same though. Please don't take that advice^^^ (sorry katiebear).

Google 'fermented soy' and read about the difference between the fermented soy products that are eaten in Japan (like miso and tempeh) and the kind made with unfermented soy. The fermentation process gets rid of something bad in soy...sorry I can't remember exactly what at the moment. I used to drink a gallon of soymilk every week or two, but I stopped after doing a little research (after some acne.org members opened my eyes to the difference). Most the soy products made in the west are made from unfermented soy, and whatever bad things in soy remain in the products on our shelf. Unless you find soymilk made from fermented soy, which I've never seen, it isn't comparable to the soy in Japan.

This is interesting... I seem to be able to eat almonds by the bag no problem, but if I try to eat macadamia nuts.... WHOA break out! Not too sure about other nuts. One or two macadamia nuts a day dont hurt me though. Just like chocolate (organic low sugar dark chocolate) if I eat one or two peices a day I'm fine but if I eat a whole bar look out!

I think soy milk has been the cause of my acne for months without realising it!!

In an attempt to eat healthy motivated by a bad breakout (just facial acne) I switched to soymilk, and never knew it could be detrimental to my skin at all. I just always assumed that it was really good for you, and that soy allergy was just impossible.

These past few months I have been depressed and haven't been going to uni or out at all because I'm ashamed of my skin, and going to the gym with horrible body acne is damn right embarrassing.

All these months and it all started a week or so after I switched to soy milk.

I recently cut it out inadvertently (in an attempt to cut out wheat e.g cereal) and my skin was clearing rapidly! then today had a few bowls of cereal (wheat free) and BANG 4 new pimples and im so inflamed. so sad.

Anyway thanks for this thread, I'll let you guys know what happens.

I think soy milk has been the cause of my acne for months without realising it!!

In an attempt to eat healthy motivated by a bad breakout (just facial acne) I switched to soymilk, and never knew it could be detrimental to my skin at all. I just always assumed that it was really good for you, and that soy allergy was just impossible.

These past few months I have been depressed and haven't been going to uni or out at all because I'm ashamed of my skin, and going to the gym with horrible body acne is damn right embarrassing.

All these months and it all started a week or so after I switched to soy milk.

I recently cut it out inadvertently (in an attempt to cut out wheat e.g cereal) and my skin was clearing rapidly! then today had a few bowls of cereal (wheat free) and BANG 4 new pimples and im so inflamed. so sad.

Anyway thanks for this thread, I'll let you guys know what happens.

cut the soy milk out for a while, wait for the breakouts to subside and then try a bowl of the cereal, just eat it dry.

wheat free or not a few bowls of cereal is never a good thing IMO. Carb overloads can easily break you out despite it being wheat/gluten free.

That said, Ive never had soy milk and wont ever even give it a chance. I read wayyyyy too many bad things about soy to even risk another big breakout. I think theres a strong chance that soy is the main problem in your case.

Edited by DeAntonio

Great idea DeAntonio!

I can't believe I never knew about all the bad stuff in regards to soy milk - I just assumed it was healthy and completely safe. silly.

And thanks for your advice on the WPI vs WPC.

I was using a WPC (really cheap) and didn't have too many problems, but with my skin so fragile at the moment I'll definately go for the better quality WPI next time I re-introduce.

Thanks alot.

Some people have no problems with soy milk, others don't like the hormones in soy

Those are natural hormones found in other plants (such as in potatoes, apples, beans). But there's no scientific evidence to date that drinking soy milk is harmful to children or adults. People have been drinking soy milk since the 1960s without ill effect.

Some people have no problems with soy milk, others don't like the hormones in soy

Those are natural hormones found in other plants (such as in potatoes, apples, beans). But there's no scientific evidence to date that drinking soy milk is harmful to children or adults. People have been drinking soy milk since the 1960s without ill effect.

So you're saying nobody has ever been allergic to soy milk since its introduction since the 1960's? :clap:

We're talking hormone imbalances that could have an affect on sebum production/clogged pores causing acne. And just because it's natural doesn't mean it's okay - cyanide is a natural substance, testosterone is natural but not many girls want a hell of alot of that.

It's all about balance, and hormones must be balanced. Same with vitamins; you don't go taking 100 multivitamins a day even though they might be 'natural'.

Natural is a word thrown around way too much nowadays to convey health and safety - please understand what you're talking about before you throw your 2c into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_allergy

cheers