Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've had SD on my face (mainly nose and forehead) for the past couple years now, and nothing seems to work to make it any better. I've tried giving up many possible food triggers (gluten, dairy, etc.) for extended periods of time to no avail. I've also tried different shower filters, washing my face with bottled water, and neither of those have worked either. This is much more annoying than when i used to have moderate acne, which has cleared up minus the occassional pimple here and there. I'm testing right now to see if citrus/citric acid might be a trigger.

Anyways, information on the internet is scarce, and the dermatologist i went to just threw a steroid cream at me which i never bothered using. So my question is, has anyone successfully gotten rid of SD with diet? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

I've had SD on my face (mainly nose and forehead) for the past couple years now, and nothing seems to work to make it any better. I've tried giving up many possible food triggers (gluten, dairy, etc.) for extended periods of time to no avail. I've also tried different shower filters, washing my face with bottled water, and neither of those have worked either. This is much more annoying than when i used to have moderate acne, which has cleared up minus the occassional pimple here and there. I'm testing right now to see if citrus/citric acid might be a trigger.

Anyways, information on the internet is scarce, and the dermatologist i went to just threw a steroid cream at me which i never bothered using. So my question is, has anyone successfully gotten rid of SD with diet? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

That's mainly what I'm working on now and I can say for certain that candida is somehow connected. I've been taking care of it for a few weeks now and the SD gets is better when all my candida symptoms are improving. When I have die-off, everything gets worse and sd flares. They now know that most infant sd is caused by candida before their natural bacterial defenses build up and it is suspect in adult cases as well. I would look into it if i were you, especially if you took antibiotics for acne like me.

I've looked into the whole candida thing, and a.)i'm not sure that's what i have and b.) i don't think i have the willpower to stick to a diet that strict. I can cut out all forms of processed sugar, as well as fruits, but i can't survive without grains. I've read about the SD/yeast connection though, and it's all certainly very interesting.

That's mainly what I'm working on now and I can say for certain that candida is somehow connected. I've been taking care of it for a few weeks now and the SD gets is better when all my candida symptoms are improving. When I have die-off, everything gets worse and sd flares. They now know that most infant sd is caused by candida before their natural bacterial defenses build up and it is suspect in adult cases as well. I would look into it if i were you, especially if you took antibiotics for acne like me.

I'm currently on the same logical way of thinking with SD just being a symptom of a much larger issue. I ate many doses of anti-biotics in my childhood and have now many fungal infections ranging from thrush to seborrheic dermatitis.

I am, to the best of my ability, currently following a low-carbohydrate diet and using Apple cider vinegar topically on the face and it's really working for clearing the flakes. The redness is still there though, but it's too soon to tell (been only about 3-4 weeks).

I'll probably follow this regime a couple of months. Will report back if I see any relevant changes in my condition. :think:

I've looked into the whole candida thing, and a.)i'm not sure that's what i have and b.) i don't think i have the willpower to stick to a diet that strict. I can cut out all forms of processed sugar, as well as fruits, but i can't survive without grains. I've read about the SD/yeast connection though, and it's all certainly very interesting.

Once I felt and saw the effects of no grains and the candida diet it became ez. The cravings for anything sweet or carby was gone by 2 or 3 weeks.

If u cant do that, these studies etc show a relationship between levels of certain antioxidants and SD like Vit E, coq10, pufa's, glutathione, and selenium and u might want to try supplementing these- esp. E and selenium.

I agree that the cause is likely from overgowth of pathogenic bacteria/yeast. I had SD around my hairline forever, which never bothered me much but it completley vanished(alon with other problems like warts, athletes foot) when I did a long juice fast. It wasnt the goal but I was pleasantly suprised that it just disapperared. I dont think it is neccesary to go to such an extreme, even though I would say it is the quickest way to resolve the problem.

As far as sugar and carbs I do not know if yo really have to be as strict as suggested by some of these dies. If you look at people on curezone for example, most agree that the "candida diet" and antifungals never did anything for them. Some even got rid of candida by going on a monodiet of just fruit, which just goes to show that sugar can not be that big of a factor. I think it should be more focussed on eating easily digested meals rather than eating low-carb, but thats just my opinion. Good luck.

I got rid of my SD completely by a combination of a gluten, dairy, sugar, and yeast free diet (but no anti-fungal supplements), plus just a few applications of an anti-fungal cream.

I also had it were you do, nose and forehead.

If you cannot be as strict with your diet, perhaps you could just try an anti-fungal cream from your doctor.

you HAVE to try fish oil, if that doesnt work try borage, spend top dollar on your fish oil too as not all are good quality, manufacturing fish oil so that that its actually worth the time is critical as bad fish oil is actually bad for you, so if you buy cheap you actually detract from your health.

Ive had dermatitus on my scalp after i stopped fish oil, so i HAD to continue taking it or it would come back, this is how i discovered how effective it was, for me anyway, it is also one of the supposed benefits of fish oil as mentioned by others, and seems to be factual.

I agree that the cause is likely from overgowth of pathogenic bacteria/yeast. I had SD around my hairline forever, which never bothered me much but it completley vanished(alon with other problems like warts, athletes foot) when I did a long juice fast. It wasnt the goal but I was pleasantly suprised that it just disapperared. I dont think it is neccesary to go to such an extreme, even though I would say it is the quickest way to resolve the problem.

As far as sugar and carbs I do not know if yo really have to be as strict as suggested by some of these dies. If you look at people on curezone for example, most agree that the "candida diet" and antifungals never did anything for them. Some even got rid of candida by going on a monodiet of just fruit, which just goes to show that sugar can not be that big of a factor. I think it should be more focussed on eating easily digested meals rather than eating low-carb, but thats just my opinion. Good luck.

Eating mostly apples for a month or more was the main contributer to my C overgrowth. Each time I ate one I got more gas and felt sicker, but I didnt know what was causing it until it was too late. Even 20 g carbs from sweet potato a day put any progress at a standstill. Once I cut that (and bragg's ACV since it is really just dead molds and yeasts and many candida sufferers cant handle it) my progress has been sure and steady.

you HAVE to try fish oil, if that doesnt work try borage, spend top dollar on your fish oil too as not all are good quality, manufacturing fish oil so that that its actually worth the time is critical as bad fish oil is actually bad for you, so if you buy cheap you actually detract from your health.

Ive had dermatitus on my scalp after i stopped fish oil, so i HAD to continue taking it or it would come back, this is how i discovered how effective it was, for me anyway, it is also one of the supposed benefits of fish oil as mentioned by others, and seems to be factual.

Niether fish oil nor GLA from borage helped my SD- in fact O3 seems to excaberate it, though I take it anyways. Glad it helped you, though.