Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let me start off by saying I've never used SA ever. I have mild acne, but I am getting fed up always having 1 to 2 zits always on my face. I've used Proactiv and Dans regimen + AHA and while I know my acne isn't severe at all, I really just want to achieve perfect skin.

My question is pretty general, I just want to know anything about benzoyl peroxide vs. salicylic acid. Having never used it, I don't know if it will clear me up or make it worse.

I filled out a skinID thing at skinID.com and it told me I should use a SA cleanser and toner, and then BP after those.

Then I went to Murad.com and saw this kit: http://www.murad.com/itm14048sect10841site10020.jsp?a=b

which in all honesty, looks pretty amazing. Doesn't mention using BP, but has a bunch of other stuff like SA, retinols, glycolic acids, and even something called triclosan which I've never even heard of.

Anyways, while Dans regimen does keep me in pretty good shape, I still get about two zits every week that just irritate me to no end. I eat healthy, exercise, don't touch my face, get plently of sleep, and follow the regimen specifically and very closely, and am still very unhappy with my skin.

I wish I had time to experiment with these products, but I am going back to college in two weeks so that's not an option. I'm really afraid that my skin will get even worse if I switch to something new but idk, I can't deal with this insecurity anymore.

If you've taken the time to read this, i'd like you to tell me the pros and cons of SA, and more specifically (not trying to take business away from Dan) the pros and cons of the Murad Acne Complex kit or the SA cleanser + SA toner + BP kit on skinID.com

Thanks a lot.

...which in all honesty, looks pretty amazing. Doesn't mention using BP, but has a bunch of other stuff like SA, retinols, glycolic acids, and even something called triclosan which I've never even heard of...

While I can't really speak to the other stuff, glycolic acid is a mild exfoliant (helps peel away the uppermost layers of the epidermis) and triclosan is a common antibacterial agent used in soaps like Dial antibacterial soap or Cetaphil antibacterial soap.

I just read the reviews for Murad and I am NEVER going to use that. those reviews scare the hell out of me.

however, still wondering about SA vs. BP? How would a SA and BP regimen work? Like the skinID one...SA cleanser maybe, then BP on my face, followed by AHA?

If you want to use SA and BP together, i suggest you use the Clean and Clear Blackhead clearing scrub and then the Clean and Clear Contionous Control with 10%Bp.It has worked quite well for a lot of people on this site. Here, lemme see if i can find you the post.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/what-has-...cts-t11566.html

here you go. i hope it helps. :D

I read somewhere that using both BP and SA together could be extemely irratating. I would go with BP, because the SA breaks me out real bad.

And DO NOT use murad. That stuff ruined my skin, and left me with 2 scars :boohoo:

As always,

Aiden

I always felt that they're irritating if you use two medications at the same time, one being SA and the other BP.

Personally, when I'm in the shower, I take an SA cleanser, lather it onto myself (face, back) leave it there for a minute or so then rinse it off. I use BP as actual medication, since it kills the bacteria directly, and basically the SA is used to clean the whole mess up in the morning.

SA doesn't have any bacteria-killing capabilities. That's why bp seems to work much better for inflammatory acne than SA does.

SA doesn't have any bacteria-killing capabilities. That's why bp seems to work much better for inflammatory acne than SA does.

actually salicylic acid is in fact an antibacterial agent. Not as strong as BP of course, but still worth mentioning.

I say BP FTW!!!~ \^-^/ Salicylic acid sounds too... acidy XD lol it almost sounds like hydrocloric acid =X since their both acids <_<:ninja: >_> don't mind me :3 just making my 10th post hopefully -.- Im just being weird ._.

I say BP FTW!!!~ \^-^/ Salicylic acid sounds too... acidy XD lol it almost sounds like hydrocloric acid =X since their both acids <_<:ninja: >_> don't mind me :3 just making my 10th post hopefully -.- Im just being weird ._.

You don't need to barf emotes to get your opinion across. Try to cut back on that a bit.

Well, here's the deal. Salicylic Acid is more of a preventative ingredient, and BP is more of an ingredient you use when you already have an active pimple. With that being said, using SA with BP every day significantly reduces acne. SA cleans pores deep down, but by it self I don't think it's effective. It's used alone by many who think BP is too harsh, however for optimum results - you need both.

I used to have moderate acne, with whiteheads I'd be embarrassed to go out with. I started using StIves Medicated Scrub, drying face, applying BP all over (blend it in very well), wait 10 minutes then apply moisturizer.

Works like a charm. :]

actually salicylic acid is in fact an antibacterial agent. Not as strong as BP of course, but still worth mentioning.

I was under the impression that Salicylic acid did not play a significant role in decreasing the p.acnes bacteria, which is why it isn't very effective against inflammatory acne. It seems to work better for non-inflamed acne, due to its comedolytic effects. BP always works much better for those of us with inflamed acne lesions. I'd love to read any articles though on SA being an effective antibacterial agent against p. acnes, if you have some links. :)

I was under the impression that Salicylic acid did not play a significant role in decreasing the p.acnes bacteria, which is why it isn't very effective against inflammatory acne. It seems to work better for non-inflamed acne, due to its comedolytic effects. BP always works much better for those of us with inflamed acne lesions. I'd love to read any articles though on SA being an effective antibacterial agent against p. acnes, if you have some links. :)

No, I was just stating that SA is a mild antibacterial agent. I never actually said it worked against p.acnes.. According to an article I read, you would need large quantities of SA to combat that specific bacteria. BP does indeed work better in that regard.

I currently use the skinid products - SA cleanser, BP treatment, and SA hydrator. I had some cystic acne that wouldn't go away for over a month. My BP didn't seem to be doing the job on the cysts, so I was desperate and ordered the skinID products. It worked and within ~2weeks my cysts were gone. The products were really irritating and dried out my skin greatly, which discouraged me. They also purged whatever else was there. So, it's true that the combo of products are very irritating. Since you only have moderate acne, I'm pretty sure this will dry out ur skin dramatically. It's been over a month and my skin has finally adjusted to the products and isn't as dry or irritated as it was. However, I'm still looking for other products to try, since I feel this is a harsh combo and is an expensive regimen to maintain.

I think SA is better for people with sensitive skin. People with all skin types can use SA without it burning the face. BP can be very harsh. In fact, Ive been using a cleanser with SA for a long while now and it has really helped.