Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Brief Background

25/male. I had clear skin my whole life. Never even a blemish or pimple. It was probably about 2-3 weeks before my 21st birthday and I just started breaking out like crazy. I figured since I had always been clear it was probably just something temporary, well now just about five years later it has yet to disappear.

What it has done to me

At first I was down but like I said I thought it was just gonna go away so I figured it was no big deal. Well once I realized it wasn't going anywhere I really took it hard. Unfortunately, I let acne take over my life and could not overcome it. I was in great shape, always working out and eating healthy. I was very social and had a beautiful girlfriend. I began really stressing over the way I looked and it really put a strain on my relationship. Eventually we ended up breaking up and it was all my fault. I became so anti-social and never wanted to go out anywhere with her. I could just not deal with how bad I looked. The break up was hard on me because we were together for such a long time and never even had a fight prior to me acting like a douche.

There was a period of time that I moved on from being miserable over acne. I was back to being social and always going out and just being myself despite my acne. I was able to do this because in the back of my head I always thought I would soon grow out of it. Well that never happened and over the last 8 months to a year I have really been taking it hard. I am just miserable everyday thinking about it. Most days I can't even look at myself in the mirror. I'm back to my old ways of being very anti-social. I just hate going out and being around people. I hate when I have to be around family and just feel very uncomfortable.

My Acne

I would post pics but I don't even own a digital camera. I think my sister might so I'll see. I guess I have mild to moderate acne. I don't get big zits or tons of pimples anymore. But on my cheeks it is very persistent and noticeable. The other issue is the red marks. I have so many red marks that on the outside it just looks like more acne. To make matters worse shaving is really a problem. I basically have to time when I shave so I don't look that bad. Because if I shave tonight and then I have to be around a lot of people tomorrow that would be a bad idea because everything would be even more visible.

My Regimen

Basically I am just doing everything Dan has said. I am not going to deviate from it at all. I will do everything exactly as he says with the products he recommends and hope for the best. I gotta be honest I am not optimistic, even though I know I should be, because I just can't ever picture myself with a clear face again. Anyway, I ordered the starter kit plus the jojoba oil and the AHA.

*Alright I am sorry for the long rant everyone and don't expect you guys to read through that junk but I do feel better after writing all that so I guess that is a good thing. I figured I would start the log tonight because the products should be here any day now. I will be doing daily updates and hope to have some pics (clear skin ones of course :)) Please feel free to post in here with any questions or comments. I would greatly appreciate it*

Have faith, I'm sure all of us will beat acne. :dance:

I can't picture myself with the clear face I used to have either but in time to come, I'm sure we are will achieve that. :wub:

Hi :) Just wanted to say I know how you feel, and to wish you lots of luck with the regimen :) Hopefully it will work for us all!

Hey! Just wanted to pop in to say good luck! The regimen is amazing and im sure you'll like it! You can beat this! I'll be checking in on you xD

As always,

Aiden

Hey guys thanks for all the support. It really means a lot knowing others are pulling for me. I also wish you guys the best of luck and hope we can all move on from this headache.

I should be getting all my supplies any day from UPS so I will keep everyone posted.

Well all my supplies arrived this morning. I haven't started it yet. I dunno, this is dumb but I am kinda hesitant only because my face is pretty clear right now besides the annoying red marks and I'm sure you guys know how it is, whenever you are clear you don't wanna mess with it!

Anyway, was just wondering how long before you go to bed do you do the regimen at night?

Well all my supplies arrived this morning. I haven't started it yet. I dunno, this is dumb but I am kinda hesitant only because my face is pretty clear right now besides the annoying red marks and I'm sure you guys know how it is, whenever you are clear you don't wanna mess with it!

Anyway, was just wondering how long before you go to bed do you do the regimen at night?

I would suggest you add Dan's products into your current regimen one by one instead of changing all at one go. Perhaps you can try changing the cleanser for a few weeks, if no problems, change another one? At least if one of them give you problem, you are able to identify which is the one (touch wood, hope all of the products work for you :D )

I do the regimen at around 9.30 to 10pm at night, and go to bed at around 10.30 to midnight. :ninja:

Hey thanks for the advice. I currently don't really have a regimen. The only product I use is Cetaphil cleanser twice a day.

When starting the DKR should I use all three products in small amounts or just mainly the BP?

DAY 1

Well since it's the first day I guess not that much to report. I just followed exactly as it's laid out in the videos. I thought the cleanser felt great and really smooth. However, the BP & moisturizer didn't seem as easy as in the videos. Maybe it's just my face but when my face is completely dry and I apply something it just seems a little rough. When I apply the cleanser while my face is wet it is nice and smooth. Oh well, I guess it will take some to get used to it.

DAY 2

LoL well I still look the same. Just glad I don't look worse. I am still having some trouble applying the BP & moisturizer. It just seems difficult to do with a little amount and on a dry face. Hopefully this becomes easier soon.

DAY 3

Not looking better. I'd say a little worse actually. But I shaved last night so of course I have to wake up to a hideous face! I upped the amount of BP just a little bit to make it easier to apply so that may also be the cause of why I'm not looking great. I haven't really noticed any flaking yet, only one time I get itchy and then there were some flakes but other than that nothing.

I'm really hoping this regimen works for me. Being a 25 yr old male just makes this impossible to deal with. I don't know how much longer I can handle the depression and stress that comes along with acne.

DAY 4

Looking a little better than yesterday but not really better than prior to Day 1 but that's okay. I'm still trying to stay as positive as possible. Anyway, this morning I increased the BP a little to probably at least 3/4 of a pump. I found anything less was just too difficult to apply and it was like rubbing it on a dry face which isn't good.

So far I haven't had any redness. I only had minor flaking once and that was because I gave in and started scratching. The only thing that sucks is when you go outside and your face is shiny and kinda greasy looking. Hopefully, I don't have a negative reaction to the increased BP.

DAY 5

Nothing new really. Probably about the same as Day 1. Definitely no worse. I'm getting near the second week and just hoping I don't get worse. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I slowly get better without having a major breakout during the regimen. I'm applying a little more BP & moisturizer at night than during the day because during the day I hate going out looking shiny and greasy. I feel like it magnifies my gross face!

DAY 6

Face looking clearer but can't get too excited b/c this happens a lot, will get clearer then get crappy. Oh well, just hoping to be 100% clear soon!

Anyway, I'm starting to notice pretty bad flaking. It looks like my face has a bad case of dandruff! I know there's flakes without even looking in the mirror b/c I can just feel it. I have the jojoba oil so I hope that helps. I'm not sure when or exactly how to use it but it looks like I just add a few drops to the moisturizer?

DAY 7

The Good

I think it was my 3rd time shaving now on the regimen and I finally don't look like a monster. Granted, it isn't perfect but it's definitely an improvement from how I usually look after shaving. I hope this isn't a fluke. I also filled the sink with soap and warm water before and rinsed my blade through there. My face feels really smooth and like I said a little clearer than before.

The Bad

Up until 2 days ago I never experienced any flakes. Now I am getting them really bad. So bad it looks like a beard and goatee made of flakes. I tried mixing in jojoba (about 6 drops) yesterday with the moisturizer but it seemed to make the moisturizer a little watery and then there wasn't enough for my face. Maybe I will try using a little more moisturizer now. I'm also noticing a little peeling, I've never peeled before. Do you guys think these are just early sides of the regimen and will subside soon?

Hello! I'm glad the regimen is starting to work for you even though they're just little improvements. I know how frustrating it is to have acne. It used to be really bad for me in high school but now I'm happy to say that I've cleared up a whole lot since then. I ordered Dan's products on Monday and they finally came in today so I'm going to see how it works for me! I started on Dan's regimen earlier this week. During the daytime I use Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash following Mary Kay's Timewise Day Solution with SPF 25 (I skip using the BP during the day since it dries out my skin a lot). At night I use the Purpose cleanser again and then I put on Neutrogena's Overnight Acne Control Lotion with BP 2.5%. I finish it off with this Aloe Skin Healing Cream that my mom found somewhere and it works great on my skin! I've noticed a really big difference. My skin is smoother and my scars are lessening more and more. Tonight I'm going to start using Dan's products and see how that goes. I'm sure you'll achieve great skin! Good luck to you!!!

Hello! I'm glad the regimen is starting to work for you even though they're just little improvements. I know how frustrating it is to have acne. It used to be really bad for me in high school but now I'm happy to say that I've cleared up a whole lot since then. I ordered Dan's products on Monday and they finally came in today so I'm going to see how it works for me! I started on Dan's regimen earlier this week. During the daytime I use Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash following Mary Kay's Timewise Day Solution with SPF 25 (I skip using the BP during the day since it dries out my skin a lot). At night I use the Purpose cleanser again and then I put on Neutrogena's Overnight Acne Control Lotion with BP 2.5%. I finish it off with this Aloe Skin Healing Cream that my mom found somewhere and it works great on my skin! I've noticed a really big difference. My skin is smoother and my scars are lessening more and more. Tonight I'm going to start using Dan's products and see how that goes. I'm sure you'll achieve great skin! Good luck to you!!!

Hey, thanks for the advice. It sounds like you have a really solid regimen and glad to see it's working for you. I will try to start using less BP in the morning but if that doesn't work then I may follow the regimen you just laid out. Good luck in your fight, I'll be following your progress.

DAY 8

Wow woke up today and I could just feel my face was all crusty. I was scared to look in the mirror and when I did I saw how bad my face was flaked and even peeling a little. The acne wasn't even that bad, probably even a little better, more visible red spots than anything. Anyway I tried something new this morning to try to combat the flakes. I really hope this helps.

applied a little jojoba to the flaked/peeling areas..kind of gently patted it on (basically exfoliated)

waited a little bit then rinsed with warm water, then applied cleanser - then rinsed & dried off

then patted on lots of jojoba - did not rinse or dry

waited about 5 mins & applied BP

waited approx 10-12 mins applied moisturizer mixed with jojoba

DAY 9

Flakes weren't too bad this morning but definitely noticeable in certain spots. My face is also a little redder but thats not that big of a deal considering it's summer I can just use the sunburn excuse. My face looks clearer but AHHHH these red marks! I hate em because they definitely deceive people into thinking they are acne. I'm hoping to get clearer as days go on and hoping the flaking calms down. I'm really apprehensive about leaving my house for long periods of time in case heavy flaking starts occurring. I've tried using more moisturizer mixed with jojoba so lets hope that works. I don't know if its a coincidence but the flaking seems to be worse when I pat my face after moisturizing with a dry sheet of toilet paper. I do this to keep my face from looking so greasy and shiny throughout the day.

DAY 10

Yesterday I had ZERO flaking which was fantastic because I was out of my house for just about the whole day so I was really worried. I tried mixing in a few drops of jojoba with BP and then a few more drops of jojoba with the moisturizer so maybe this helped. Also, I know Dan recommends using less moisturizer than BP but I found (at least so far) that if you use about the same you have a better chance of reducing flaking. As for the face, well it's looking better. Active acne I think is just about gone. Still having some itching sensation throughout the day but I just fight it. Hoping the active acne stays away and can finally get clear and be gone of these F'N red marks!

DAY 11

Face looking a little worse than yesterday but I guess that could be b/c I shaved last night. Damn, hopefully soon I can be like a normal person and look the same after I shave as I did before. The red marks really come to life after shaving. As for the regimen, the itching sensation has gone down the past few days. Yesterday and the day before I had little flaking. The only thing that sucks is now that I have less flaking I have a redder face. It's summer so at least it just looks like sunburn a little but once Fall & Winter come along I hope this subsides.

DAY 12

Not much to report today. Look about the same as yesterday. Damn I'd look pretty good if it weren't for red marks! Little flaking this morning but I guess I probably over did it with the BP last night. About to complete my second week. Itching has gone down, flaking more tolerable, redness is ehhh..

DAY 13

Again not much really to report. Woke up with slight flaking but nothing major. Little jojoba did the trick. Red marks are a little less visible than yesterday but I won't read too much into that b/c it happens a lot. After shaving they become much more visible and then a few days later they become less. As for active acne, I don't think I have too much. Maybe one or two spots but nothing too bad.