Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul25

Trying to include more fat into my diet

Just wondering if the lack of fatty foods was causing me to have dry skin and causing acne problems as well, how long would it take to notice an improvement when eating more fatty foods? I know i didnt eat much fat when growing up and im pretty skinny, so it could possibly be a problem.

Just wondering if the lack of fatty foods was causing me to have dry skin and causing acne problems as well, how long would it take to notice an improvement when eating more fatty foods? I know i didnt eat much fat when growing up and im pretty skinny, so it could possibly be a problem.

I dont know how long it takes but adding in fatty foods has definately given my skin more of a glow (ive been losing weight with them too) All the fats I eat are in my sig.

I dont know how long it takes but adding in fatty foods has definately given my skin more of a glow (ive been losing weight with them too) All the fats I eat are in my sig.

thanks for your help. Im hoping they will help me too, will just have to wait and see.

Is the skin on your forearm dry? or the skin on your belly?

Probably not.

There is no reason why the skin on your face should be. In addition your face produces sebum, which logically has water proofing properties. (though sebum is probably not necessary for hydration).

What is your cleansing regimen for your face? How many times do you shower? Dry skin is usually from overwashing your skin. Everytime you wash your face you are aging your skin. Kligman said something like that. Don't wash your face for more than 20 seconds or more than twice a day---it DOES make a difference for dry skin and acne, I assure you. Don't rinse and scrub your mug vigorously in the shower. If the acid mantle of your skin is disturbed from chronic overwashing, it'll take 14 hours for the acid mantle to reform.

Don't think that water is hydrating and is good for the skin. Even washing your skin with water multiple times is damaging, especially if you scrub your skin and use warm/hot water.

lack of polyunsaturated fats do affect skin dryness.

In fact I was reading of an amateur experiment in giving up all polyunsaturated fats for just mono and saturated. The first symptom was extremely dry, craking skin.

What is your cleansing regimen for your face? How many times do you shower?
Dry skin is usually from overwashing your skin
. Everytime you wash your face you are aging your skin. Kligman said something like that. Don't wash your face for more than 20 seconds or more than twice a day---it DOES make a difference for dry skin and acne, I assure you. Don't rinse and scrub your mug vigorously in the shower. If the acid mantle of your skin is disturbed from chronic overwashing, it'll take 14 hours for the acid mantle to reform.

Don't rule out other causes, though. I tried not washing my face with anything except for cool water for about 15 seconds every day, and my dry skin didn't clear up at all.

Is the skin on your forearm dry? or the skin on your belly?

Probably not.

There is no reason why the skin on your face should be. In addition your face produces sebum, which logically has water proofing properties. (though sebum is probably not necessary for hydration).

What is your cleansing regimen for your face? How many times do you shower? Dry skin is usually from overwashing your skin. Everytime you wash your face you are aging your skin. Kligman said something like that. Don't wash your face for more than 20 seconds or more than twice a day---it DOES make a difference for dry skin and acne, I assure you. Don't rinse and scrub your mug vigorously in the shower. If the acid mantle of your skin is disturbed from chronic overwashing, it'll take 14 hours for the acid mantle to reform.

Don't think that water is hydrating and is good for the skin. Even washing your skin with water multiple times is damaging, especially if you scrub your skin and use warm/hot water.

Nopes, the only area dry is my face, from the minute i get up to right now it feels so irratated. If i just scrat at it just a little bit loads of skin flakes off.

I shower once a day, i either just wet my face or i have to use some redbush exfoliating soap, this is due to all the flaky skin starting to show really bad after a couple of days and for blackheads.

Would this be an acceptable amount of fat or is it to much? I have about 4 teaspoons of coconut oil a day, about 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1 avacado and then theres other things such as flax seeds and cod liver oil.

Would it be alrite to be eating more than one avacado a day, when considering what im already having each day?

Is the redbush exfoliating soap a bar? Bar soaps usually have a high pH and can lead to skin dryness. Excessive exfoliation with beads and harshness leads to micro-damage in your skin and irritation. I recommend getting a pH adjusted liquid non-soap, pH 7 or less, or just using a towel and water, and allowing your face to touch water minimally twice a day. This is as holistic as you can get, because only modern man has this crazed notion of hygeine and the need cleanse the skin, leading to acne.

More fat, especially animal fat, gives me:

- Clearer skin

- Less dry skin

- More weight

Ill try to start eating more animal fat. I certainly need to put on more weight! When i started to become abit tubby i stopped eating fatty foods instantly, lost a fair bit of weight and believe that may have been the time when my acne appeared. Since then i have always been skinny, so its certainly worth a go adding more fat into my diet.

I have heard from a few people that they cant digest veggie fat properly so they break out from it.... I have always had a suspicion hat avocados broke me out, but I cant tell. So I havent eaten them for months... but my skin hasnt gotten any better hahahaha, I slao cut out coconut oil, which was stupid.... I realize that I have broken out much mroe since cuttin gthese things out. But man, I just dont know any more... it's confusing.

My skin is WEIRD. It FEELS dry like when I am just sitting there scrunching my face up (not touching it with my hands) it feels dry. BUt when I look at it and touch it with my hands it's SOOOOOOOOO OILY!!! My face is an oil slick by the emd of the day. But I can use anything drying because it makes it feel more dry (not to the touch). If you know what I mean....

Anyway............

So does anyone have any idea how long it should take to show results if it is ever going to help? Would i notice an improvement after around a month do you think?

Whats fats can i take to work? Im obsessed with avacados at the moment but would prefer not to take them to work because i need a knife to cut them up and i work in an office at an old peoples home so cant really be taking knifes there. I dont really care about taking seeds to work, and other fatty things i take like coconut oil and olive oil arent something i can take to work, not going to fill me up!! So does anyone have any recommendations what i can take?

Hey Paul,

I am experiencing the same problem with dy patches of skin. It feels like sandpaper. It started on my inner cheeks, the dryness caused little non-inflamed clogged pores. Once that skin normalized, the bumps went away. Now I am having the patches on my mid center cheeks. And sure enough, little bumps are forming. I tried not bothering with removing the dead extra skin, but it just sits on the top of my skin and looks gross.

I believe the dead flaky (almost dandruff like) skin patches are clogging my pores. I mean, obviously my skin is NOT shedding properly in those areas. But I don't know how to make it better. I apply lotion, wash twice a day (once with water, once with olay sensitive skin soap), I eat 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil a day, avocados, nuts, seeds, etc. I am getting PLENTY of fat, maybe too much!

So anyway, Paul I don't think it's the fat. Maybe I am eating too much of something that is drying to my skin (vitamin A?). Or maybe I need to cut the tazorac out completely. But I don't even apply it to those dry areas. Hmmmm... I've been dealing with this for about 5 months now :wacko:

Hey Paul,

I am experiencing the same problem with dy patches of skin. It feels like sandpaper. It started on my inner cheeks, the dryness caused little non-inflamed clogged pores. Once that skin normalized, the bumps went away. Now I am having the patches on my mid center cheeks. And sure enough, little bumps are forming. I tried not bothering with removing the dead extra skin, but it just sits on the top of my skin and looks gross.

I believe the dead flaky (almost dandruff like) skin patches are clogging my pores. I mean, obviously my skin is NOT shedding properly in those areas. But I don't know how to make it better. I apply lotion, wash twice a day (once with water, once with olay sensitive skin soap), I eat 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil a day, avocados, nuts, seeds, etc. I am getting PLENTY of fat, maybe too much!

So anyway, Paul I don't think it's the fat. Maybe I am eating too much of something that is drying to my skin (vitamin A?). Or maybe I need to cut the tazorac out completely. But I don't even apply it to those dry areas. Hmmmm... I've been dealing with this for about 5 months now :wacko:

If mine isnt due to a lack of fat then i really dont know what it could be, im going to give a good amount of time though to see if it helps. I went a good few years with a lack of fatty foods so thats the reason i believe it may be effecting my dry skin. How long have you been eating alot of high fat foods for?

Hey guys, another thing that really helps my dry skin is sun exposure with nothing in the way. No creams, makeup, sunscreen or anything on the skin and just put it out there in the sun around mid-day. Stay out as long as you can without getting burned, which may be only 5-10 minutes, but it will be highly beneficial.

Since eating more fat i have noticed im getting more blackheads. Usually its just my forehead, my nose and both sides next to my nose. Now though i have seen there spreading more to my cheeks and there are a few appearing under my mouth. Could the intake of more fat be doing this? Blackheads were a nightmare before, but now there getting worse im getting pretty scared.

yeah my Dad is under a high fat low carb diet for like 10 years and he does have a lot of deep blackheads on the side of his head. so i think it definately might be linked

yeah my Dad is under a high fat low carb diet for like 10 years and he does have a lot of deep blackheads on the side of his head. so i think it definately might be linked

ahh thats abit of a pain as i was thinking a lack of fat was causing my dry skin. But if its just going to cause more blackheads it kind of makes me think what is the point in even trying it. If i give up the fat, then i really dont know what option to take next to try and stop the dry skin.

John1234 is right... Both bar soaps and plain water are too alkaline and can dry out your skin. You might just need a good pH balanced cleanser.

Some cleansers you may want to consider are:

Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild Formula

Eucerin Baby Aquaphor Gentle Wash

Eucerin Redness Relief Cleansing Gel

Paula's Choice (any cleanser)

Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash