Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not_Myself

Accutane for stubborn, but non cystic acne??

Hi.. Like everyone else, I've tried a million products. My acne is what most would consider moderate, but it's PERSISTENT :wall: At any given moment, I'd say I have about 10 - 15 pimples that are, of course, immedietly replaced by new ones as soon as they start to fade.

They are NOT the deep, cystic kind though, at least not usually. I may get 2 or 3 cystic ones, but for the most part I have the jumbo pimples with large whiteheads on the end. The kind that are sooo tempting to pop!

Anywhooo... I was wondering if Accutane works on acne like mine, or if anyone with similar acne has had success/horror stories??

I know it's generally for the deep down, scarring kind... but I'm at my wits end trying to get rid of what I've got. NOTHING else has worked.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! ;)

This is the kind of acne I have on my back and shoulders. I get a lot of smaller pimples and about 2 - 3 large ones and a few cystic ones on my back and shoulders. After they pop they scab over and seem to take forever to heal (just me being impatient).

My face is covered in the blackheads and teeny tiny whiteheads (that of course makeup covers and you can't see until you get really close - gross! i hate it).

I have dealt with acne for about 12 - 13 years and just like you have tried EVERYTHING. I went to my derm in December and he suggested accutane when I told him my story but I resisted and went on other prescription pills/topicals. Of course they didn't work. So in May I told him I was ready for accutane. So we started the process and I actually started taking the pills yesterday.

Accutane I'm sure will help your skin because I'm praying and hoping that it will help mine and keep it clear.

I thk i m in the same situation as u........my acne is not known as severe, however it is extremely annoying to grow at least one acne everyday........and it leave scar and red spot that make me look as ugly as hell........I am on accutane now.......after the first month my acne were clear however after i increase my dosage.........my acne come back again and grow once a day everyday.......I am on my second course of accutane now........I wonder if it should work or not.......after reading the forum and notice that lots of people are fail, I would like to know if accutane really work on me or not.....I hate acne damn it

Hi.. Like everyone else, I've tried a million products. My acne is what most would consider moderate, but it's PERSISTENT :wall: At any given moment, I'd say I have about 10 - 15 pimples that are, of course, immedietly replaced by new ones as soon as they start to fade.

They are NOT the deep, cystic kind though, at least not usually. I may get 2 or 3 cystic ones, but for the most part I have the jumbo pimples with large whiteheads on the end. The kind that are sooo tempting to pop!

Anywhooo... I was wondering if Accutane works on acne like mine, or if anyone with similar acne has had success/horror stories??

I know it's generally for the deep down, scarring kind... but I'm at my wits end trying to get rid of what I've got. NOTHING else has worked.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! ;)

Yes it should work. I am six months post accutane and I am still clear after my course. I have mild moderate acne but it was about moderate when I started on accutane with som eback acne.

If you have tried everything like antibiotics and topicals, most likely the next step the derm will suggest is accutane because I went through the whole thing as well.

I know exactly how you feel about being at wits end. Stubborn acne is terrible just waking up everyday to a new pimple brings me to tears. At that time after antibiotics failed me, my acne blew out of proportion and I was constantly crying and almost slipped into a bad emotional state.

I had that kind of acne, though in lesser numbers than you--maybe about 5 INFLAMED zits at a time. I'm only a couple of weeks in, but Accutane does work on this kind of acne. I think it's safe to say it works for a vast majority of acne. There are always exceptions, but that's insignificant compared to the sheer # of people it has worked for (20M+ worldwide).

I was able to get Accutane from my derm no problem, I just told him I did not want to try antibiotics and other creams (though I did try tretinoin).

My acne is mild-moderate, and I only get a cyst every two months or so. Nothing got rid of my acne, though, so I started Accutane. Yours would probably do well on the drug. Good luck!

Thanks so much for all your advice and stories :D

I'm thinking I'll give my newest regimen a few more weeks, and if I'm still dealing with this then it's time to try the Accutane.

I read a review from someone with similar skin to mine, and they said that accutane made them develop cystic acne that they NEVER had before.... and then the accutane cleared it up, with the lovely side effect of deep scars. That scares me a bit... but I know other people dont have this problem... so we'll see.

I'm also scared because I have a history of anxiety/depression/panic attacks.... and I know it can screw with your mental health. Scary.

Guess I have some thinking to do :think: