Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lqb7

Bye-Bye, Proactiv!

I've been contemplating on whether or not to get off Proactiv. I've used Proactiv since the summer of 2006, so it's been over 2 years now. Obviously, I'm patient and don't like to hop from product to product. I have pretty mild acne. My acne has never been THAT bad in reality. At one point, in the summer and fall of 07, my acne was USUALLY what I call "my period". I might get one breakout a month, but it was nothing too bad. However, since about February or March of this year proactiv hasn't been...ineffective completely, but it hasn't been nearly as effective either. It's weird. One side of my face will be clear, and the other side will have a couple of bumps. Then, when that side is clearing up, I'll get a couple of bumps on the clear side. Like it alternates or something.

Anyway, I was thinking of using Neutrogena's Skin ID. My survey thing resulted in a cream-SA based cleanser, 2.5% benzoyl peroxide lotion (like Proactiv's I assume), and a hydrator that is gel-based and it has SA in it with botanical extracts that "help calm irritated skin and reduce redness" (My skin ID = 14.32.72).

I've read that SA is better than BP. I think SA cleansers are more gentle on my face, whereas SA spot-treatments and stuff like that are too harsh, whereas BP cleansers are harsher on my face, while the BP lotion works wonders.

Anyway, I like the fact that I'd have a SA cleanser, but I'd still keep the BP lotion. The hydrator is more-so to help with my oily-skin.

So, would it be a good idea to make what I consider to be a "small switch" after 2 years of using proactiv religiously?

If you're unhappy with Proactive, then definitely switch. It's silly to pay so much $$ per month when you're not happy with the results it's giving you. I haven't personally tried Proactive or SkinID, I was always afraid it would be too harsh on my skin.

SkinID is kind of expensive, so look around your local drugstore for similar products first. :D