Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sgxyo3man

Sweet sweet denial.

I'm at a loss here folks. Sweets are everywhere. I eat very healthfully for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but I'm still downing these free sweets in between. I don't even really want them, I just eat them because they are there. The biggest problem of all is that once I pop, I just can't stop. I'm so fed up with this! Can someone give me some tips on how to break this bad habit? I have the utmost of self-discipline when eating my three square meals and exercising. One answer that I will already ignore will be to remove sweets from my path throughout the day. I'll have to quit my job and move out of my house. Obviously that's not an option.

I find that "avoiding" is a lot harder than abstinence. And when you refuse, just explain why. Just be extremely strict about it. No exceptions.

Read up enough on the health impacts of eating all that crap. For me, all it took was to realize how horrible candy/cakes are for my health and that is enough to keep me away from them.

When I first started abstaining from sweets, I would make a cup of tea every time I craved something sweet or starchy.

Somehow I was able to convince myself that the tea I drank was the sweet stuff that I actually wanted. And doing this prevented me from cheating.

Sounds crazy, but it worked for me!

Good replies. Could anyone link me to a reputable source talking about processed sweets? I can only find personal blog entries that are poorly written and less than convincing.

Your going about it the wrong way. The stress that comes from completely denying yourself something is just as bad for you as eating it. So instead of having a diet where your practically punishing yourself, center yourself so that you can eat these things, just in moderation. Its MUCH, healthier for your mind & body.

This is for everybody: Your body WILL NOT respond by healing if you put a lot of stress on it by denying it something completely or putting a strict diet on it. Thats why so many people fail. If you dont have a healing, nurturing mindset, your body is gonna say fuck you.

Your going about it the wrong way. The stress that comes from completely denying yourself something is just as bad for you as eating it. So instead of having a diet where your practically punishing yourself, center yourself so that you can eat these things, just in moderation. Its MUCH, healthier for your mind & body.

This is for everybody: Your body WILL NOT respond by healing if you put a lot of stress on it by denying it something completely or putting a strict diet on it. Thats why so many people fail. If you dont have a healing, nurturing mindset, your body is gonna say fuck you.

It's not about denying, it's about replacing the things you crave with similar more healthy alternatives. For example replace milk chocolate with a high % cacao chocolate (tastes better imo), bake your own cookies instead of buying them(tastes better imo), bake your own potato chips / potato wedges (super easy / cheap and way better. 10 pound bag of russets=$4.50) instead of eating bagged chips (like $3-4 for a half filled bag of air).

Try eating smaller meals every 2-3 hours instead of eating 3 times a day, it should help normalize your sugar levels and stop "snack" cravings.

You're right it is a mind set, but it has nothing to do with depriving yourself. Don't eat healthy because your expecting a "super magic" cure all. Eat healthy otherwise your body will say fuck you. (At least it does for me.)

If you're truly intolerant to specific foods, everything in moderation rule doesn't work. I agree though if your diet is boring you or stressing you out, you need to redefine your dietary limitations. Explore sauces and spices, you should never be "bored" or "limited" by your diet.

Sugar addiction is a real thing, and "very" hard to quit.

Sugar Addiction

Tips on how to kick the sugar habit.

© Samantha Rufle

May 6, 2007

Buy honey local to your area., Samantha Rufle

Some experts believe kicking sugar is harder than kicking cigarettes or even heroine!

Sugar is every where. It is advertised on television, at parties, in drinks, and hidden in many foods. So, to get the sugar out of your diet, where do you start? The tips below will get you started.

1. Know all the sneaky names for sugar. Read food labels and get rid of condiments, sauces, and dressings with sugar in them. Learn to make condiments and dressings with out the sugar.

2. Eat fruit. Fruit is a great way to eat something sweet, and control calories. Just stay away from dried fruit or sweetened fruit.

3. Avoid artificial sweeteners. These are just a crutch. They keep you from learning to enjoy the natural sweetness of real food. There are also studies that show that they can make you crave sugar, not to mention the studies that show other dangerous health effects like cancer.

4. Eliminate the white stuff. White flour, white rice, and white potatoes. These have the same affect on blood sugar as sugar, and this will make sugar harder to kick. These foods keep you on the insulin- low blood sugar cycle.

5. Avoid juice. Even 100% juice is sugar water in disguise. Drink water, and if you must, only a splash of juice for flavor.

6. Try stevia. Stevia is an herb that is very sweet and has a slight licorice flavor. While it is a stretch to make a whole dessert with stevia, it is great in coffee and on cereal. It may take some getting used to, but it is way better than loading your food with sugar or known toxic chemicals.Tip: Look for stevia in the dietary supplement section. It will not be with the sweeteners.

7. Learn to use honey. If you really need a sugar fix, eat some honey. Learn to cook with it. Learn how to drizzle it in thin steams. It is very high in sugar but, has other benefits that sugar does not and it is all natural.Tip: Buy honey local to your area. The local pollens the bees use to make the honey could help prevent some seasonal allergies.

8. Limit alcohol. Alcohol is made from sugar. It acts like sugar in the body. Especially when you first are trying to kick sugar stay away from any alcoholic beverages.

9. Bring a low sugar dessert to share. Temptations are everywhere. Show others how delicious a low sugar life style can be.

10. Keep it out of the house. Do not temp yourself with your child's pop tarts or your husband's ice cream. Tell your family what you are doing and then put your foot down. It is hard enough with out sweets calling your name all day long.

11. Eat sweet potatoes, red potatoes, and brown rice with meals. These are the foods to replace the white foods with. Sweet potatoes make a yummy dessert with a little yogurt. Steam small red potatoes or some brown rice to eat with dinner. If time is an issue, cook these items ahead of time.

12. If you must eat sweets, eat them after meals. After meals sugar has less of an effect on blood sugar. You will be less likely to crash and crave more later.

Sugar is a hard habit to kick. Cravings will lessen with time. The longer sugar is out of your diet the easier it gets.

The copyright of the article Sugar Addiction in Nutrition is owned by Samantha Rufle. Permission to republish Sugar Addiction must be granted by the author in writing.

Source

It's not about denying, it's about replacing the things you crave with similar more healthy alternatives. For example replace milk chocolate with a high % cacao chocolate (tastes better imo), bake your own cookies instead of buying them(tastes better imo), bake your own potato chips / potato wedges (super easy / cheap and way better. 10 pound bag of russets=$4.50) instead of eating bagged chips (like $3-4 for a half filled bag of air).

Try eating smaller meals every 2-3 hours instead of eating 3 times a day, it should help normalize your sugar levels and stop "snack" cravings.

You're right it is a mind set, but it has nothing to do with depriving yourself. Don't eat healthy because your expecting a "super magic" cure all. Eat healthy otherwise your body will say fuck you. (At least it does for me.)

If you're truly intolerant to specific foods, everything in moderation rule doesn't work. I agree though if your diet is boring you or stressing you out, you need to redefine your dietary limitations. Explore sauces and spices, you should never be "bored" or "limited" by your diet.

Sugar Addiction

© Samantha Rufle

May 6, 2007

Some experts believe kicking sugar is harder than kicking cigarettes or even heroine!

Sugar is every where. It is advertised on television, at parties, in drinks, and hidden in many foods. So, to get the sugar out of your diet, where do you start? The tips below will get you started.

1. Know all the sneaky names for sugar. Read food labels and get rid of condiments, sauces, and dressings with sugar in them. Learn to make condiments and dressings with out the sugar.

2. Eat fruit. Fruit is a great way to eat something sweet, and control calories. Just stay away from dried fruit or sweetened fruit.

3. Avoid artificial sweeteners. These are just a crutch. They keep you from learning to enjoy the natural sweetness of real food. There are also studies that show that they can make you crave sugar, not to mention the studies that show other dangerous health effects like cancer.

4. Eliminate the white stuff. White flour, white rice, and white potatoes. These have the same affect on blood sugar as sugar, and this will make sugar harder to kick. These foods keep you on the insulin- low blood sugar cycle.

5. Avoid juice. Even 100% juice is sugar water in disguise. Drink water, and if you must, only a splash of juice for flavor.

6. Try stevia. Stevia is an herb that is very sweet and has a slight licorice flavor. While it is a stretch to make a whole dessert with stevia, it is great in coffee and on cereal. It may take some getting used to, but it is way better than loading your food with sugar or known toxic chemicals.Tip: Look for stevia in the dietary supplement section. It will not be with the sweeteners.

7. Learn to use honey. If you really need a sugar fix, eat some honey. Learn to cook with it. Learn how to drizzle it in thin steams. It is very high in sugar but, has other benefits that sugar does not and it is all natural.Tip: Buy honey local to your area. The local pollens the bees use to make the honey could help prevent some seasonal allergies.

8. Limit alcohol. Alcohol is made from sugar. It acts like sugar in the body. Especially when you first are trying to kick sugar stay away from any alcoholic beverages.

9. Bring a low sugar dessert to share. Temptations are everywhere. Show others how delicious a low sugar life style can be.

10. Keep it out of the house. Do not temp yourself with your child's pop tarts or your husband's ice cream. Tell your family what you are doing and then put your foot down. It is hard enough with out sweets calling your name all day long.

11. Eat sweet potatoes, red potatoes, and brown rice with meals. These are the foods to replace the white foods with. Sweet potatoes make a yummy dessert with a little yogurt. Steam small red potatoes or some brown rice to eat with dinner. If time is an issue, cook these items ahead of time.

12. If you must eat sweets, eat them after meals. After meals sugar has less of an effect on blood sugar. You will be less likely to crash and crave more later.

Sugar is a hard habit to kick. Cravings will lessen with time. The longer sugar is out of your diet the easier it gets.

The copyright of the article Sugar Addiction in Nutrition is owned by Samantha Rufle. Permission to republish Sugar Addiction must be granted by the author in writing.

Source

No, believe me, it has PLENTY to do with denying yourself. If your body is used to eating certain foods that you've been eating all your life, the cravings and withdrawal of it alone can put enormous physical and emotional stress on the body, which just makes your skin worse. Then the fear and stress about "cheating" makes it even worse. This is a big reason why many people fail big time at diets.

I agree it helps a ton to substitute healthy foods but that can be expensive and out of many peoples means.

Sugar Addiction

© Samantha Rufle

May 6, 2007

Source

No, believe me, it has PLENTY to do with denying yourself. If your body is used to eating certain foods that you've been eating all your life, the cravings and withdrawal of it alone can put enormous physical and emotional stress on the body, which just makes your skin worse. Then the fear and stress about "cheating" makes it even worse. This is a big reason why many people fail big time at diets.

I agree it helps a ton to substitute healthy foods but that can be expensive and out of many peoples means.

Eating every 2-3 hours as opposed to 3 times a day is valuable because it helps keep your mind off "cravings", "withdrawal", and "stress". Not only that, but it also helps normalize blood sugar levels so you don't have to experience gorging / withdrawal then shortly after cravings.

I guess everyone is different, I've never really felt tempted by old foods I used to eat. I always figured that was due to that fact that I replaced old foods with newer ones, but maybe I'm special. :dance:

Good foods might be more pricey but they are far more efficient in terms of quality and quantity of nutrients than "bad" foods so you don't get hungry as often!

Regardless we know very little about his current diet other than the fact that it is "healthy". Which could contribute to the fact that he is craving sweets.

Did he say "free" sweets? Jeese I'd probably quit my diet if I was offered free sweets at work, but that has very little to do with my willpower and more to do with me being frugal.

Yeah, unfortunately my roommates and coworkers like to splurge on sweets. I have the problem of not being able to stop eating them once I just have a taste. For me, it's easier to deny them altogether. I don't know if I'll ever be able to just have a few. I need to see a shrink or something.

It takes time, too. Cut shit out of your diet over time...one type of junk food here...one there. I mean spread it out as much as you need to, a couple years even, so that you wont miss foods as your taking them out, because your not taking them ALL out at once.