Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danny©

Calories simplified

There are two extremes when we talk about calories.

We have those who don't want to count calories, don't want to aproximately know how many calories are in their meals and don't believe it is needed and those that are so obsessed that need to know exactly the calories of the particular kind of fruit at the specific level of ripeness, they just ate.

As always I'm in the middle.

Knowing calories is important but since our body functions with a range of calories (we never eat the same amount every day but we tend to maintain our weight) and there's always a margin of error for absorption, edible part and so on, I think it's pretty easy to consider calories by groups of foods rather than by foods. This easily reduces the millions of calories value we should know to a few dozens that can easily be remembered. This would certainly be an aproximation but in my experience it is good enough to allow a pretty consistent caloric control.

Unfortunately the concept of body composition and weight control and calories has been faddished.

Most people consider fat loss as something for wannabe models or real obese and consider calories just a fad for the never thin enough. In truth body composition is far more important for health and health marks like inflamation and oxidative stress than it is for aesthetics. Losing fat is something the 90% of the pupolation need. No matter if they look normal and not fat at all, their health and body most likely would benefit from a percentage reduction in body fat. Caloric balance is not a fad for narcisists but one of the foundations of health. As shown by various studies on caloric restriction, extra calories always harm and it matters little whether they just bring up our total body fat or make us obese, the health effects are similar. Chronic excess calories play havoc with most health attributes and are contributing causes of letargy, silent inflamation, indigestion, fast aging, mood swings, bloatedness, heaviness, constipation, chronic fatigue, high triglycerides, volatile blood sugars, poor lipid profiles and more.

Counting calories (even once a month is usefull just to have a general idea of what we're doing and how we're eating, just a check up) is not in contradiction with the concept of instinctive hunger.

Clearly if we're not as healthy as we can be and our body composition is not perfect, we have screwed our natural sense of hunger. Counting calories is just a planning tool. No one should count every food eaten or every day worth of meals. It is though usefull to know how much to eat to find a balance and then let the body get used to that new balance until it becomes intinctive again.

It's a bit like a metronome.

You don't use the metronome every time you play a piece on an instrument.

But you listen to the metronome when you're not sure about the speed.

You just listen few beats and then have a general sense of the speed you need to follow.

At that point the metronome is not needed and the speed has been internalized.

Usually people who claim they can eat as much food as they want as long as they don't eat X food and claim that they consume 4000 calories of whatever food and as long as they don't eat X food they're healthy are usually deluded, fat (it just means they have an high percentage of fat not that they're visible overweight) not as healthy as they claim and have a poor body composition.

Not counting calories and gorging on foods as long as they are not the ones some fad diet bashes has been the promise made to make lazy people buy all the books and programs promising this. No wonder the authors and organization of some of these popular methods have become milionaries.

Here is my semplified calories tab.

I hope it can help you.

The calories are per 100 grams.

post-42321-1218068506_thumb.jpg

post-42321-1218068506_thumb.jpg

Why did I just read that entire thing?

You didn't

If I don't get the right amount of food everyday and pay attention to exactly what I eat I am going to die! Good thing my calorie microscale was only $12,000. Everyone should go out and buy one, I hope it can help you too!!!

If you had read my post you would know that I don't promote counting every calories and worrying for the difference between 1720 and 1780. My tab is so aproximate to be the nightmare of whatever orthorexic caloric maniac. But of course calories are important and anyone who claim otherwise is just deluding themselves. We gain fat and lose fat by calories alone. Insulin, glucagon, testosterone, sugar spikes have no effect at all on fat gain. I have said millions time: the more fat storage the more fat oxidation and the less fat storage the less fat oxidation. This means that calories are the only unique factor determining the fat component of our body composition. I have already discussed the muscle component. A good body composition is not only a matter of aesthetic fashion but one of the foundations of health.

maybe he did? who are you to judge other about their assertions? <.<

Who I am? Simply the author of the post which is being distorted by those assertions.

As long as the assertions are about something I wrote and the way I wrote it I can judge it all I want. Since my post is against absession with calories, an a sarcastic reply to my post accusing me of calorie obsession can only come from someone who haven't read it. And this is actually the kindest justification I can provide for that irrelevant reply.