Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User47728

Salt lowers blood sugar?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, you want to aim for 1500mg of Sodium(1 Tsp of Salt) a Day, 800mg of Phosphorus a day and about 5 mg of Iron if you are a guy and about 11 or 12 if you are a girl. You be surprised though how much iron is in food. Note: 1mg is about 6% of iron, with respect to the RDA.

Phosphorus Chart:

http://www.healthyeatingclub.com/info/book...ata/data5f.html

1 tsp of salt is about 2500mg of sodium. That's the USRDA for salt intake.

With the more organic salts, the less amount of sodium you need. Just take a look at a 100% organic salt. I guess the idea behind it is that the less processed, the more efficient salt is used in your body.

Can I buy the celtic salt from like trader joes, or a farmers market?

or can I get it from a regular grocer?

Thanks guys! :angel:

Typically health food stores carry it. I've never seen unrefined salt in a regular grocery store, unless it was ridiculously expensive, much more expensive than at a health food store. So Trader Joe's, yes, Farmer's Market, not sure, depends on who decides to set up shop I suppose. Just remember, if it's pure white, it's refined, even if it says "sea salt" on the label. The term "sea salt" alone just means the salt originally came from the sea, it doesn't mean that it hasn't been refined.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, you want to aim for 1500mg of Sodium(1 Tsp of Salt) a Day, 800mg of Phosphorus a day and about 5 mg of Iron if you are a guy and about 11 or 12 if you are a girl. You be surprised though how much iron is in food. Note: 1mg is about 6% of iron, with respect to the RDA.

Phosphorus Chart:

http://www.healthyeatingclub.com/info/book...ata/data5f.html

1 tsp of salt is about 2500mg of sodium. That's the USRDA for salt intake.

With the more organic salts, the less amount of sodium you need. Just take a look at a 100% organic salt. I guess the idea behind it is that the less processed, the more efficient salt is used in your body.

But that doesn't mean there's less sodium per teaspoon. I was simply correcting the amount of sodium contained in 1 teaspoon, not the effectiveness of a set number of mgs. In fact, if people were to believe there was only 1500 mgs in a full teaspoon of salt, but there was actually 2500 AND due to it being more natural salt it was more effective, people would take a teaspoon of salt thinking they were taking 1500mgs, and could actually be getting the equivalent of 3000mgs. :)

But that doesn't mean there's less sodium per teaspoon. I was simply correcting the amount of sodium contained in 1 teaspoon, not the effectiveness of a set number of mgs. In fact, if people were to believe there was only 1500 mgs in a full teaspoon of salt, but there was actually 2500 AND due to it being more natural salt it was more effective, people would take a teaspoon of salt thinking they were taking 1500mgs, and could actually be getting the equivalent of 3000mgs. smile.gif

Hey, I agree. Thanks for pointing it out.

Not all salts are the same though. I guess moral of the story is make sure you read the labels. I use an organic celery salt that has 180mg of sodium per 1/8 of a tsp. Sorry for not clarifying it when I posted it. As I said, organic products can have very different compositions than regular processed products. For example, Milk has antibiotics which can reduce stomach acids. Organic Milk actually can help increase stomach acid.

I don't mean to keep this back and forth with ya, I apologize

But that doesn't mean there's less sodium per teaspoon. I was simply correcting the amount of sodium contained in 1 teaspoon, not the effectiveness of a set number of mgs. In fact, if people were to believe there was only 1500 mgs in a full teaspoon of salt, but there was actually 2500 AND due to it being more natural salt it was more effective, people would take a teaspoon of salt thinking they were taking 1500mgs, and could actually be getting the equivalent of 3000mgs. smile.gif

Hey, I agree. Thanks for pointing it out.

Not all salts are the same though. I guess moral of the story is make sure you read the labels. I use an organic celery salt that has 180mg of sodium per 1/8 of a tsp. Sorry for not clarifying it when I posted it. As I said, organic products can have very different compositions than regular processed products. For example, Milk has antibiotics which can reduce stomach acids. Organic Milk actually can help increase stomach acid.

I don't mean to keep this back and forth with ya, I apologize

No problem, it's all in the name of clarity of information, which I'm all for. :)

This is interesting: There is a co-transporter protein exclusively for transporting sugar and salt together. It's called the Sodium-Dependent Glucose Co-transporter. I also found that insulin spikes cause the kidneys to hold onto more sodium, and when insulin is reduced, more salt is released in the urine. So apparently, our bodies need salt in order to deal with sugar somehow. And according to studies, when that salt just isn't there, glucose metabolism is impaired, worsening insulin resistance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-glucos...nsport_proteins

Okay, so I have been upping my salt intake...and it does seem like it is helping,somewhat.

I just hate the fact that I am now having baggy eyes :confused: ...

like from any type of salt...apparently organic celtic as well.

That make me realize that I have an potassium/sodium imbalance.

I dont know how to correct the ratio of sodium/potassium?

Its like the salt makes me hold onto water, in a bad way..and only my face swells like a baloon,but particularly my left eye...lol.

I want clear skin, and it deems the salt helps..but I dont want fluid retention, which if you are salt sensative the least bit...like me, then it can cause fluid retention/swelling...in diff. areas in/on your body(sodium/salt) that is.

When I avoid salt, my eyes I swear to you, my eyes depuff..

when I eat any trace, then the next day..very next day my left eye looks swollen like I have been socked in the eye...which is sooo not a good look.

I wonder why I cant get the sodium I need from just lean meats/and some veggies and it be just as effective as the organic /natural celtic sea salt?

However...other then the puffy eyes...my skin has been relatively clear and non inflamed what so ever...(weird.)

So, I think you are true LiVING,about the salt connection to clearer skin.

Okay, so I have been upping my salt intake...and it does seem like it is helping,somewhat.

I just hate the fact that I am now having baggy eyes :confused: ...

like from any type of salt...apparently organic celtic as well.

That make me realize that I have an potassium/sodium imbalance.

I dont know how to correct the ratio of sodium/potassium?

Its like the salt makes me hold onto water, in a bad way..and only my face swells like a baloon,but particularly my left eye...lol.

I want clear skin, and it deems the salt helps..but I dont want fluid retention, which if you are salt sensative the least bit...like me, then it can cause fluid retention/swelling...in diff. areas in/on your body(sodium/salt) that is.

When I avoid salt, my eyes I swear to you, my eyes depuff..

when I eat any trace, then the next day..very next day my left eye looks swollen like I have been socked in the eye...which is sooo not a good look.

I wonder why I cant get the sodium I need from just lean meats/and some veggies and it be just as effective as the organic /natural celtic sea salt?

However...other then the puffy eyes...my skin has been relatively clear and non inflamed what so ever...(weird.)

So, I think you are true LiVING,about the salt connection to clearer skin.

If I'm not mistaken Taurine is supposed to be great for water retention.

ariellestar1234, are you drinking enough water? water retention is a bigger problem with salt intake when a person is dehydrated than when they're not.

shavingwoes, I hadn't heard that about Taurine, I'll look into that. :)

If you want to learn to meditate look it up on Google. There is a site (one of the first links I believe) which teach you how to do simple breathing meditation, it is a Buddhist site. I have tried meditation (not just for acne) and it does really work wonders. I am not usually a stressed person so I don't believe that stress is of any factor whatsoever in my life. As far as Candida goes...to be honest I don't have the willpower to do a diet that I'm not even sure will work. As far as gluten free goes, I may try that, but I'm pretty sure its sugar causing my acne. My reasoning? Well this entire week I was eating Cream of Wheat and what ever else I mentioned above, and I had no new breakouts. HOWEVER, when I added sugar foods, for example yesterday I added a piece of cake (just feeling like shit so decided to eat whatever and pigged out lol) and a bunch of sugar shit and today I had about 3 new pimples, more redness, etc. It was generally healing up over the week, not having ANY breakouts at all and waking up to see my face doing a tiny bit better each day it seemed, and there were actually a few times in the week where I would 'experiment' *(even though I was in no position to start experimenting because I wasn't even sure if Cream of Wheat was causing a reaction or not) and I had breakouts. This coulda been coincidence and it may have been the Cream of Wheat, I don't know. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that the factor causing my acne is sugar. So, I plan on going on a paleo type diet. We'll see how it turns out.

ariellestar1234, are you drinking enough water? water retention is a bigger problem with salt intake when a person is dehydrated than when they're not.

shavingwoes, I hadn't heard that about Taurine, I'll look into that. :)

Yes, I drink plenty of water.

I am just really salt sensative..I can think of any reasons why..but I still will try and add about half the amt in my diet somehow..I do notice a good connection as far as clearer skin when I eat some salt...[;us I overall feel less stressed.

I also wanted to know why the salt from the sweat from when we exercise ,would not help the bacteria on our skin,is it not the salt that is beneficial?

Basically I exercise alot and soon as I get done I have to wash my face..but maybe this is a bad thing,being salt is deeming to kill the bacteria?

I dont know, just queries.

I also wanted to know why the salt from the sweat from when we exercise ,would not help the bacteria on our skin,is it not the salt that is beneficial?

Basically I exercise alot and soon as I get done I have to wash my face..but maybe this is a bad thing,being salt is deeming to kill the bacteria?

I dont know, just queries.

Salt on your skin works in a different way than salt in your diet. Salt on your skin can kill bacteria, but I don't think that's how increasing salt in the diet helps clear acne. Plus, when you get hot your skin puts out more than just salt and water. It's also mixed with oil and everything else in sweat, plus dead skin cells and so you end up with a mix that can clog your pores when it dries. But some people apply salt to their face to help their skin, and some say it has helped them a lot. But I don't think leaving sweat to dry is a good plan.

I did a test to see if it was just me being pregnant that was keeping me clear, or if this salt thing was doing it. So I had 2 waffles and maple syrup for breakfast for 4 days in a row. After I ran out of frozen waffles, I had chocolate icecream, and boston creme cupcakes each day. I also simultaneously stopped trying to keep my salt intake up. I started breaking out within 3 days. I got 2 painful deep pimples on my left cheek and one painful deep pimple on my right cheek. The quality of my skin in general also changed, it was more red, and generally more sensitive and sore feeling overall. On the fourth day I then started upping my salt again, and I'm clear again now. There's still some redness left over that's fading quickly. My breakout started about 1 week ago. I have no pimples right now. This salt thing works fast. The only difference was that I broke out when my salt was lower, and cleared up when my salt intake was higher, even when eating blatantly unhealthy high sugar foods. I cleared up pretty quickly too, which is awesome. I feel like I'm in complete control of my skin, which is really cool.

So it seems that there's some sort of "golden ratio" of sugar to salt, like you can eat sugar as long as you have enough salt in your system in proportion to the sugar to deal with it.

That's the last straw I'm trying this. So maybe a 1/2 teaspoon a day? Or one teaspoon? I've skimmed through every page on this thread (I think) but I want to clarify: So how much salt about? And non-iodized right? Hopefully I'll be able to find some natural salt seeing as I live in Utah. Thanks, this sounds great, I've been leaving salt out of almost everything.

OMG...this is wonderful news...and I did not want to admit to this...but what the hell...lol

Monday,I ate some sugary foods..and a little fuit,that I know will raise my blood glucose levels lik that..and I did it on tuesday as well..

By am, on wednesday I has 2 emerging pimples on my chin..as well as just an overall oily skin texture...and later that night I added the celtic sea salt in some water..and drank it..I did this on thursday and fiday..and today...my chin is freakin close to clear..and my skin feels waaay less oily..my chin really!! :cool:

There is definiately a connection..most definiarely..

although I have a left baggy eye...my skin seems to responding well if I slip up and eat something sweet...the celtic salt it seems nuetralizes it...or bring those sugar levels down.

Thanks LiVinG!

That's the last straw I'm trying this. So maybe a 1/2 teaspoon a day? Or one teaspoon? I've skimmed through every page on this thread (I think) but I want to clarify: So how much salt about? And non-iodized right? Hopefully I'll be able to find some natural salt seeing as I live in Utah. Thanks, this sounds great, I've been leaving salt out of almost everything.

1 teaspoon is 2500mgs of sodium chloride. I've been aiming for 2000mgs per day at least. I don't always make it, but I try. That seems to work for me, but my diet is generally pretty low carb, so someone else may need more. It seems to be a proportional thing, like the more carbs/sugars you eat, the more salt you need.

Most of the salt I get comes from salty food rather than me measuring out salt from a teaspoon. Like for instance, if I need to get a good amount of salt pretty quickly, I'll eat some pickle slices (sliced long ways, for sandwiches), which have about 260mgs salt for every 2 slices. So if I eat 5 or 6 of those, I can get a good amount of salt in one sitting, and pickles are yummy so it doesn't feel forced. I also found that soup/broth is a good way of getting a lot of salt. Just like a person can drink way more sugar in juice or soda than they can usually eat in solid foods, I found I can drink broth and get as much salt as I need without worrying about getting full, or having it taste too salty.

OMG...this is wonderful news...and I did not want to admit to this...but what the hell...lol

Monday,I ate some sugary foods..and a little fuit,that I know will raise my blood glucose levels lik that..and I did it on tuesday as well..

By am, on wednesday I has 2 emerging pimples on my chin..as well as just an overall oily skin texture...and later that night I added the celtic sea salt in some water..and drank it..I did this on thursday and fiday..and today...my chin is freakin close to clear..and my skin feels waaay less oily..my chin really!! :cool:

There is definiately a connection..most definiarely..

although I have a left baggy eye...my skin seems to responding well if I slip up and eat something sweet...the celtic salt it seems nuetralizes it...or bring those sugar levels down.

Thanks LiVinG!

That's awesome! How much salt did you drink in your cup of water?

Update - Been doing a teaspoon of salt about 2 weeks I think

Have noticed much better water retention. I hardly pee clear anymore but still drink +2L a day.

Have also noticed an accelerated fading of red marks.

Possibly noticed less pimples around the mouth area - maybe due to other factors/combination

But all in all, good results, no side effects.

Keep u's posted

Would Epson salt work to drink?

Nope, it's gotta be sodium. Infact epsom salt is magnesium sulphate, magnesium actually lowers blood sodium levels. But epsom salt is not very absorbable anyway, so even though it contains sulphur which does help with acne in other ways, drinking epsom salt only absorbs at a very low level, o overall, ineffective. And definitely not effective for this purpose.

Have noticed much better water retention. I hardly pee clear anymore but still drink +2L a day.

Possibly noticed less pimples around the mouth area - maybe due to other factors/combination

Keep u's posted

Glad you've seen an improvement. :) I've found through research that salt is absorbed better when it's taken with a source of glucose. It has to do with the Sodium-dependent glucose co-transporter I posted about earlier. Glucose helps carry the salt into the blood stream. What happens is there's this protein that hooks onto salt and glucose, and when they're both hooked on, they can pass through into the blood stream. So I make a point of taking my salt with some form of carbs. Not a lot, definitely, but a little. For instance, chicken broth with a little bit of brown rice, or noodles, or I'll alternate bites of salty food with sips of fruit juice. I can tell it works better because my low blood pressure symptoms are alleviated MUCH better when I do this as compared to if I don't, and it's an immediate symptom relief, so I can feel right away if it's working or not.

So for those who are drinking salt water, you might want to add just a little bit of sugar too.

I did a test to see if it was just me being pregnant that was keeping me clear, or if this salt thing was doing it. So I had 2 waffles and maple syrup for breakfast for 4 days in a row. After I ran out of frozen waffles, I had chocolate icecream, and boston creme cupcakes each day. I also simultaneously stopped trying to keep my salt intake up. I started breaking out within 3 days. I got 2 painful deep pimples on my left cheek and one painful deep pimple on my right cheek. The quality of my skin in general also changed, it was more red, and generally more sensitive and sore feeling overall. On the fourth day I then started upping my salt again, and I'm clear again now. There's still some redness left over that's fading quickly. My breakout started about 1 week ago. I have no pimples right now. This salt thing works fast. The only difference was that I broke out when my salt was lower, and cleared up when my salt intake was higher, even when eating blatantly unhealthy high sugar foods. I cleared up pretty quickly too, which is awesome. I feel like I'm in complete control of my skin, which is really cool.

So it seems that there's some sort of "golden ratio" of sugar to salt, like you can eat sugar as long as you have enough salt in your system in proportion to the sugar to deal with it.

Keep u's posted

Glad you've seen an improvement. :) I've found through research that salt is absorbed better when it's taken with a source of glucose. It has to do with the Sodium-dependent glucose co-transporter I posted about earlier. Glucose helps carry the salt into the blood stream. What happens is there's this protein that hooks onto salt and glucose, and when they're both hooked on, they can pass through into the blood stream. So I make a point of taking my salt with some form of carbs. Not a lot, definitely, but a little. For instance, chicken broth with a little bit of brown rice, or noodles, or I'll alternate bites of salty food with sips of fruit juice. I can tell it works better because my low blood pressure symptoms are alleviated MUCH better when I do this as compared to if I don't, and it's an immediate symptom relief, so I can feel right away if it's working or not.

So for those who are drinking salt water, you might want to add just a little bit of sugar too.

Hey LiViNG!!

I only have been taking about a half a teaspoon in my water!

(I want to do a full teaspoon,or maybe more..but afraid of more water retention..)

Its funny that you say that about the glucose and sugar taken together,its seems that when I eat something sweet/sugary with something salty/sodium..that it does work better...

I had my celtic sea salt water and was just testing a small sucker out yesterday and wanted to see what reults I would get taking them close together..(sodium/sugar)and then I drank my celtic sea salt water..and I awake today,with clear skin.

Hmmm,new idea..."Celtic sea salt water"....lol...to help control those sugar level..

$50.00 for a mnths supply... :think: lol.

The bad thing about this is now,since It seems I can eat somethng small sweet..and as long as to get some sodium to follow up with...I might more then likely will stay clear...

then that might make me lazy and not want to continue to eat my veggies../healthy nutrient dense foods....lol.

Because before acne I used to live off sugar...and when I say live..I litterally mean live.

Self restraint,I need to practice it.

But I am sooo glad you brought this topic to life!!! :dance:

Does it seem to make a difference if it is straight table salt NaCl or just sodium contained in a food naturally?

I wouldn't think so, but just checkin.

Really eh? Hmm.

Basically I usually take the salt sprinkled on a rice cake with butter on it, but the rice cake is only 5g of carbs none of which are actual sugar.

Maybe I'll try having fruit at the same time, even just a smallish piece of a whole apple. Thoughts??

Really eh? Hmm.

Basically I usually take the salt sprinkled on a rice cake with butter on it, but the rice cake is only 5g of carbs none of which are actual sugar.

Maybe I'll try having fruit at the same time, even just a smallish piece of a whole apple. Thoughts??

Rice/starch gets converted to glucose in the digestive system, so you are getting glucose when you eat a rice cake, so that's just fine. How much salt are you eating per day? a sprinkle of salt isn't much really.

Keep u's posted

Hey LiViNG!!

I only have been taking about a half a teaspoon in my water!

(I want to do a full teaspoon,or maybe more..but afraid of more water retention..)

Its funny that you say that about the glucose and sugar taken together,its seems that when I eat something sweet/sugary with something salty/sodium..that it does work better...

I had my celtic sea salt water and was just testing a small sucker out yesterday and wanted to see what reults I would get taking them close together..(sodium/sugar)and then I drank my celtic sea salt water..and I awake today,with clear skin.

Hmmm,new idea..."Celtic sea salt water"....lol...to help control those sugar level..

$50.00 for a mnths supply... :think: lol.

The bad thing about this is now,since It seems I can eat somethng small sweet..and as long as to get some sodium to follow up with...I might more then likely will stay clear...

then that might make me lazy and not want to continue to eat my veggies../healthy nutrient dense foods....lol.

Because before acne I used to live off sugar...and when I say live..I litterally mean live.

Self restraint,I need to practice it.

But I am sooo glad you brought this topic to life!!! :dance:

:lol: I know the feeling! But I've also found that even when I can eat crap food, everything I've learned about how bad it is makes me avoid it either way. I mean, trans fats increase your risk of cancer..I don't want that, acne or not! High fructose corn syrup is like the sugar equivalent of a free radical, causing rampant tissue damage.

If we could only find the perfect ratio of salt to glucose, we'd totally be in business! lol Autoship anyone? Natural cherry flavor? :lol:

I'm glad I discovered this too! :dance: Not that I'm the first by any means, I've seen topics about salt on this forum before, but i think the reason they didn't really take off is because their approach was more along the lines of "salt is an historical holistic medicine, we should all take it because ancient shamans said so", rather than finding actual relevant and current studies on salt and it's effect on our system.