Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FLGuy

Help Please!!! Still Breaking Out!!!

I still seem to be breaking out after switching to MetroGel for my topical antibiotic, although I have been only using it for about 11 days. I seem to be getting big pimples, atleast 1 every 4 days or so.

BTW - Everything I read says that MetroGel is for Rosacea, but I do not have Rosacea, just your "good ol every day Acne Vulgaris".

Advice please. I need help and fast!

My History:

I am now 23 and had Acne all through my teen years. When I was about 16 I went and saw the doctor and he prescribed me oral tetracycline and topical erythromycin. That worked great and I saw significant improvement in my Acne.

Then, when I was about 19, the Erythromycin seemed to stop working. Breakouts started to occur more frequently and the Tetracycline didn’t work either. I then went and saw a derm and he said I probably built up a tolerance to the meds and prescribed me Tazorac gel and Oral Minocycline, along with Cleocin pads for a topical antibiotic.

Recently, I started breaking out again on a more regular basis. The tazorac and clecon didn’t work like they once did. I just went to the derm last week as regular follow up and to get refills. He put me back on Minocycline and asked me to use it for a few weeks and see if helped, if not we would try another oral med. He also prescribed me a different topical antibiotic (MetroGel), to use in conjunction with the Tazorac gel.

Help Please!!!

Eat RAW garlic downed with some apple juice. I love it now. I haven't broken out in two weeks. The taste is funky, but I think it's worth it. Plus, it's natural, so it won't harm you and can probably take with other things. Here's an excerpt:

From: http://www.organichealthandbeauty.com/15sk...aresecrets.html

RAW GARLIC- NATURE'S MOST POTENT HERB. Here's one you probably haven't heard before, so keep an open mind. Get ready for garlic. Only the real thing will work for you - not pills. This means, organic and raw. Put at least 3 cloves in a blender with juice and drink it down. It will make the drink a little spicy, that's all. Here's what it will do for you and your skin. Garlic is the best, most effective broad spectrum anti-biotic, anti-viral, anti-fungal herb known. It kills all the bad guys without harming any of the good guys. In fact, in laboratory tests, it has been diluted to 1 part in 125,000 and still killed bacteria. So, yes, it's great if you get sick or have a virus of any kind. It's great for your heart and blood- whole books have been written about it, but remember, it must be raw. Your skin will have a real tough time breaking out if you have some raw garlic in your system. Just brush your teeth, drink some mouthwash, and drink up.

I now hate taking things that are prescribed and multisyllabic. Natural all the way. What have you got to lose? ('cept for the obvious)

That just sounds way to weird man. 8-[

Also I'm skeptical. That site says garlic is super-duper good anti-bacterial/microbe/viral agent, yet doesn't explain WHY. I'm all for herbal treatments, if they can be PROVEN. For instance, scientists in Austrialia isolated a chemical in TeaTree that interferes with bacterial metabolism. It's easy to state X is really good for you, but it is seriously difficult to prove it. Even if their claim that garlic even at low quantities kill bacteria is true, it is not impressive. Bacteria are some of most delicate organisms on Earth. Simple sugar is remarkably effective at killing bacteria; yet I don't see many people saying eating lots of simple sugar is good for you.

Has anyone else used MetroGel for their acne?

From what the derm told me, it is just basically another topical anitibiotic.

So....should I go back on the clindamycin or give this a few more days???? What are my other alternaitives besides Erythromycon and Clyndamycin? I can always call the derm and ask for him to phone it in.

He als told me to wait till the end of the month and see if the Mino was still working, since I stopped taking it for a while. If not to let him know and he would phone in Septra.

garlic has been used to kill a lot of infections either viral, bacterial, or fungus. we derive our medicines from plant sources so what's dispensed at the pharmacy is just a more concentrated form of the active chemical found in plants. some people tolerate things in lower dosages (i.e. natural forms) and some can take medications with no problems. i'm not saying that natural is always good. there are definitely some compounds in natural substances that are harmful right next to the compound that's good for you. but when we take meds it can also harm your body's balance in some other way. it just varies.

just by personal experience, it's cured a yeast infection. i'll spare you guys the details but it didn't even involve ingesting it.

what's dispensed at the pharmacy is just a more concentrated form of the active chemical found in plants.  some people tolerate things in lower dosages (i.e. natural forms)

lol

this might contradict what i just wrote, but i've read that the garlic pills are NOT as good as raw. it could be that there's something ELSE in raw garlic that activates the good stuff. and it's much more pungent raw...i think that's why nothing will be able to live in that environment. sometimes fresh is good. just depends on what works for you i guess. i'm thinking of starting to eat more raw garlic...but it just tastes so much better roasted/toasted/goldened browned....mmmmm

So....should I go back on the clindamycin or give this a few more days???? What are my other alternaitives besides Erythromycon and Clyndamycin?  I can always call the derm and ask for him to phone it in.

He als told me to wait till the end of the month and see if the Mino was still working, since I stopped taking it for a while.  If not to let him know and he would phone in Septra.

i'm thinking of starting to eat more raw garlic...but it just tastes so much better roasted/toasted/goldened browned....mmmmm

Everything started to seem like it was clearing then over the weekend I got a couple big pimples underneath my bottom lip.

I think I need to call the derm today to get something else.

](*,)

Just when it seemed like it started to work.

Support please!!!!!!