Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, I've tried almost everything to help my oily skin, but it just doesn't work.

As prescribed by my doctor, I'm on a 200mg dose of minocycline. This may keep my pimples away, but it doesn't fix my oily skin. My cleanser is Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, so no problem with that.

I have been exfoliating each day with baking soda, and applying ACV. This may help to smooth and lessen my red marks, but it doesn't do anything to my oily skin. I'm also taking multivitamins each day, so I got all the necessary vitamins in me. I've also been using Clean & Clear Soft Day moisturizer, so my skin is well moisturized.

Do you think it's my topical treatments that may cause my oily skin? I've been using Stievamacyn (Strong one) gel each night, it helps with my pimples but no effect on my oily skin. Also I've been using a BP wash 5% during my shower (as directed by my dermatologist). Do you think with it's those tropicals fault?

So the options that are left are:

- Accutane low dose (which I will never choose, since I don't wanna risk for those side effects)

- B5 Vitamin (I tried to find it in my pharmacie, but they didnt have it. And yes, I tried to search for pantothenic acid as well.)

- Remove my tropicals (which I won't do it, cause it helps to control my pimples)

- any other options?

thanks

haha 10% bp then ...maybe your skin can get dry with that

Well I noticed my skin gets dry and flaky, but the problem is that it gets oily at the same time also.

I've been using minocycline for almost a year now. I want to stop using my topicals, but I'm scared I'll have even more pimples. Do you think I should remove my BP wash? And just use Stievamycin at night? (btw i've been using this topical gel for over a year also, and it works pretty good on pimples)

So for my cleanser, I'll be using Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser (which is supposed not to be irritating to my skin). What about baking soda and ACV?

Oh and I also use the egg white + lemon mask in the night.

So to make a list:

-Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

-Baking Soda

-ACV

-Egg white + lemon

-Stievamycin (take note I've been using it for over a year)

Do any of them contribute to oily skin?

I did a low dose course of Accutane for around 5 - 6 months and it not only completely cleared my skin but I never get oily anymore. I was on 40mg's and I weigh 160 - 165 (depending on time of day) and stand around 6'0. I did several antibiotics all sorts of topicals, diets.. you name it I probably tried it (other than birth control). Now that I have finished I don't even wash with anything other than water and the only topicals I put on my face is a moisturizer with SPF. When I do get the occasional pimple I simply use antibiotic ointment found in any store and within 24 hours its gone. I vote you go for option 1. Other than Accutane the only thing that helped clear my skin was a STRICT diet, and I mean strict. I quit drinking, smoking, blazing, eating just about anything with sugar, no red meat... Sure Accutane sucks for the first couple of months but man what a life saver once your done. Feel free to browse my log and gallery if you want to see for yourself.

Yeah but I don't have much acne, maybe some blackheads there and there, and 1-2 whiteheads, but that's all.

I don't know if its worth going on accutane just for oily skin. If I had moderate-severe acne, then this would be another question. But since I only have really mild acne, my doctor wouldnt even prescribe me accutane anyways.

If you want anything bad enough you can get it. It's called a walk in clinic haha. Well then maybe you should try a diet change and slowly trying to get off the BP. I know for myself the BP was a huge contributor to oily skin. Do you use any sort of moisturizer in your regimen?

If you want anything bad enough you can get it. It's called a walk in clinic haha. Well then maybe you should try a diet change and slowly trying to get off the BP. I know for myself the BP was a huge contributor to oily skin. Do you use any sort of moisturizer in your regimen?

Yup, Clean & Clean Soft Day (if I know I'll be going out), or Moisturel (if I know I'll be staying home. This really helps me remove flakes off my skin and it was also recommended by my dermatologist). I also tried Olay Complete All day moisture, SPF 15, sensitive skin, but this moisturizer really broke me out so I stopped using it.

Edit: and for the accutane, I could probably get it, but those side effects I've read about are just too risky. And for my diet, I don't smoke, nor drink. I stopped drinking Sodas and eating candies long time ago, and I'm sure I don't eat red meat. So my diet has been good for over 2 years now.

I really don't think there's a way to "cure" oily skin. I have had oily skin for years and I have tried everything but Accutane. I think people with large pores get oily skin. It makes sense. If your pores are smaller, less sebum will come out. I have large pores, so this is my theory why I get oily skin. I just try to keep those pores clean or else I will get acne. I just live with it for now.

Every once and awhile, I will use tea tree oil as a spot treatment. I wash my face once a day using Dr. Bronner soap. It's an all purpose soap that rids the oil on my face, but doesn't use harsh cleansers. I love it, and been using it for almost a year. Then I use jojoba oil as a mositurizer. That's it. I don't use anything else. I found that after years of using topicals, it was making my skin even worse. I don't have much acne anymore, just oil skin.

Try taking Vitamin A tablets once a day with a meal. After about 2-3 weeks, I've noticed that my skin isn't nearly as oily.

There's precious little that can be done to minimize or control oily skin. Accutane (more specifically, chronic low-dose Accutane) could certainly help, but it's highly experimental, and may expose you to serious side effects; you'd probably also have trouble finding a doctor who would go along with such a plan.

I object to the use of megadoses of pantothenic acid (popularly misnamed "B5" by lay people). The rationale behind that idea is completely ridiculous. I think trying that is a Journey into the Unknown, and may be dangerous.

Large doses of vitamin A can be toxic.

Sebum production is strongly under the control of sex hormones (both androgens and estrogens). However, systemic antiandrogens and estrogens can't be given to men, for fear of serious side effects. Unfortunately, purely topical antiandrogens are still in their infancy, and experimenting with them on your own can be frustrating and/or expensive. You could try topical spironolactone, which is available for purchase from at least one source on the Internet. It's not a particularly strong antiandrogen, but you may find it helpful. Another option you could try is washing your face with Nizoral shampoo, which was shown in one small study to reduce sebum production in the scalp by about 20%, and was shown in a separate study to bind androgen receptors (which probably explains the mild sebum-reducing effect).

if you cant get B5 i would say get a topical product with B5 in it. i will try to look up some that i saw listed on another board. and thank GAWD you dont want accutane, i hate when people skip over all the stuff they should be trying first and jump to something like that just because. (not saying the other guy should have tried other things, i'm just talking about you.) and getting tane from another source when your doctor has said or will probably say no just isnt smart...i'm sure you know what i mean so i'll stop there.

all i can say is you solution will probably be something topical and therefore only temporary. as a sidebar i have been on retin-a for 8 weeks now and my face has gotten MORE oily. joy.

i forgot to mention...the oil cleansing method *may* be worth a shot. i used it for a few weeks and my skin was much less oily, but then i went to the derm and got on topicals.

any mineral makeup with kaolin clay will help to reduce excess oil. the kaolin clay basically sucks up excess sebum from the skin, reduces shine etc.

Guest anonymous

if you can't get b5 either order it online or get vilantae... i use it and it helps me i have olily skin. it's pricey but they have a 90 day money back guarantee. i'd say you should notice something after a bottle and a half. which you should be done with it about 40 days so you can return it if it's not helping!! i have large pores as well. i am doing something similiar to dan's regimen. but i put clearisil blackhead reducer with sea salt on my nose. it's 1 perent sacilyc acid and i just put that on my nose...i've noticed it's WAY better than putting bp on your nose. i don't have any blackheads and my pores are smaller now on my nose. mixed reviews on here about exfoliating everyday you might want to go every other day. acv also has mixed reviews. i feel you with red marks that's my 1 issue. also wash your HAIR everday because i'm sure your like me if you have oily skin you have oily hair and change your pillow cases WEEKLY. i know these seem like simple things but they really help with oily skin. good luck! and I'd definitley stay away from the low dose of accutane if you don't have severe acne.