Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've had pretty moderate acne and have been regularly seeing my dermatologist for about 4 years now. Finally I only have one active blemish and its underneath my jawline. But I still have some really red marks that are left over from some deep pimples. The dermatologist put me on finacea but after a couple of months it was really drying out my skin and the marks weren't fading. He switched it now and told me that the new stuff would work and would be less irritating.

It was called hytone cream and when I went home and researched it, it said it was just hydrocortisone 2.5% cream. I've read all about how it thins the skin and does more harm than good. Do you guyys think it is safe to use to fade my red marks. The dermatologist is prescribing it, so he must know more than I do right?

P.S. I should mention I also use vivant mandelic acid and rub ACV on twice a day. so far it is doing nothing for the marks.

I'd like to hear your feedback about the hydrocortisone.

Hydrocortisone is a very mild, in this case topical, steroid. Its available OTC from .5% to 1%. Also don't let the steroid thing bother you its so mild that stronger steroids are measured in how many 100s of times stronger than HC they are. If you use a more powerfull steroid for a long time it can thin your skin. This may even be able to thin your skin but again this is 2.5X more powerfull than the OTC stuff so if you just put on about twice as much OTC stuff you wouldn't need the Rx. If your redness comes from inflatnion from an immune system responce, then it will help. If you skin is read from being damaged it won't help, but I imageing your derm knows what he is doing.

Also your treatments sound more like Rosacea treatments than acne treatments. is that what you have?

haha funny that you bring this up, i just used HC yesterday because i had a burnt patch of skin on my cheek from BP, and it healed it up within a day and theres just a little pink mark there now

Yeah I had rosacea on the bottom corners of my mouth. It wasn't really red but I was getting those tiny red bumps that would flare up once a week. This lasted for a couple of months until the finacea stopped that. But those areas now have plenty of red marks left over. Thed other red marks though are on the right side of my face where I had about four really deep blemishes that went away about a month ago and those are still pretty red.

I just feel like I've read all over these boards and haven't seen anyone prescribed hydrocortisone for their red marks. It just seems out of the blue. And I cant even talk to him about it because its another 2 months before he has an appointment available.

I just figure I'd clarify for you. The red marks that I have are definitely from old blemishes. I know because I can still remember them being there. Thats why I'm asking about the hydrocortisone.

what about the baking soda exfoliation method. Lately I've seen people are raving about it, but I thought it was damaging and could cause more acne.