Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~Dayna

My journey to acne-free skin

Okay, I'm kind of late to start this but anyway, I'm onto my 4th week of the regimen.

Some history, I'm 20 this year, battling with acne for 1 year. But I've quite severe acne I would say. Photos attached for reference and so that I could keep track of my condition as well. :)

Regimen started on 9 July 08.

Pardon the low quality photos from my camphone. :ninja:

This was before I had acne problem a year ago. I miss my flawless skin. [Photo 1]

This was taken around 1 to 2 weeks into the regimen. [Photo 1] [Photo 2]

This was taken 3 to 4 weeks into the regimen. [Photo 1] [Photo 2]

1st to 4th week of regimen: 1/2 pump BP

From 5th week of the regimen: 3/4 pump BP

Aug 05: Had broke out today with quite a number of cynst. 2 on my chin, a few on my forehead near the brows and a few on my cheeks. [Photo 1] :boohoo:

i've read somewhere to not put anything on your skin before bed except for cleansing the skin. i guess it made sense to me because it said that's the time when you should let your skin breathe, regenerate and heal by itself. it's kinda like leaving a bandage on a wound, it'll take longer to heal. i've use BP before, a long time ago, probably 3 years ago, it dried out my skin so bad and that just made my skin become more oily to compensate. so for a while my skin became leathery, it sucked...

i've read somewhere to not put anything on your skin before bed except for cleansing the skin. i guess it made sense to me because it said that's the time when you should let your skin breathe, regenerate and heal by itself. it's kinda like leaving a bandage on a wound, it'll take longer to heal. i've use BP before, a long time ago, probably 3 years ago, it dried out my skin so bad and that just made my skin become more oily to compensate. so for a while my skin became leathery, it sucked...

Yup, that's what my mum had been telling me too. I tend to have new breakouts during the night. So the BP sorts of helps to control them now. I used to have oily skin, now I'm pretty much combination skin. :think: Once in a while, it's good to just leave the skin as it is w/o applying anything. (Quoted from a friend too). :angel:

Hi! I am sure that if you stick to Dan's regimen exactly it will work for you, but you can't use other things that go outside the regimen like Baking Soda soap. That does not sound gentle, so it could be reacting with the BP to make your already sensitive skin even more sensitive. Please consider getting something gentle like Dan's cleanser or Cetaphil cleanser. I think you would be able to handle the full two pumps if you used jojoba oil to counteract dryness and used a gentle cleanser! Good luck!

Hi! I am sure that if you stick to Dan's regimen exactly it will work for you, but you can't use other things that go outside the regimen like Baking Soda soap. That does not sound gentle, so it could be reacting with the BP to make your already sensitive skin even more sensitive. Please consider getting something gentle like Dan's cleanser or Cetaphil cleanser. I think you would be able to handle the full two pumps if you used jojoba oil to counteract dryness and used a gentle cleanser! Good luck!

Really? I heard the baking soda soap is good for sensitive skin. :ninja:

Quite okay when I use it though, been using it for quite a while. I like Dan's cleanser too, but had to order it again, maybe I will in a few months time. For Cetaphil cleanser I don't like it at all. :whistle:

Thanks for the tip! :angel: :angel: :angel:

6 Aug 08: I had this "group" of inflamed whiteheads. They are forever there, always recurring even after they heal. Resulting in a large 20 cents patch of scars. :wall: Still not sure how to fix it. :wall: 2 small pimples on my right cheeks is healing. The rest of the cynst doesn't hurt anymore but they don't look like their healing (I've about 6 to 8 of them on my forehead and brows. :wacko:

Night 6 Aug: I just counted, I've around 11 cynst, pimples etc whatever you call them. Another one pop up during the day too. I'm depressed. Condition started to worsen this week and I've no idea why. :doh::(

Don't give up! I'm having a little battle myself with a few cysts that are wanting to come up :-( I think using the full 2 pumps of BP is keeping them from coming to a full head and I also blast them with AHA+ both morning and night. I think perhaps the small amount of BP you're using isn't allowing the BP to soak deep enough to keep new pimples from forming. Are you still using a very small amount of BP? It is better to go slowly ramping up your dosage, but make sure you are slowing using more and more otherwise your skin can never have a chance to adjust to the regimen and you will never be able to see the full effect...If the soap is working alright for you, then it should be alright..it just worries me since you are having trouble if that could be too irritating. I also don't really care for the Cetaphil but it is for chronically dry skin..I have also heard CeraVe is amazing and that it works wonderfully to moisturize and gently cleanse. I'm so sorry you have some new ones..I know it is discouraging..but we're all here for you, just keep writing! :-)

Oo! Also, try incorporating a few supplements into your daily routine. Take 50mg of Zinc daily, some fish oil, and Vit E..Especially the Zinc..it helps with inflammation TONS!

Don't give up! I'm having a little battle myself with a few cysts that are wanting to come up :-( I think using the full 2 pumps of BP is keeping them from coming to a full head and I also blast them with AHA+ both morning and night. I think perhaps the small amount of BP you're using isn't allowing the BP to soak deep enough to keep new pimples from forming. Are you still using a very small amount of BP? It is better to go slowly ramping up your dosage, but make sure you are slowing using more and more otherwise your skin can never have a chance to adjust to the regimen and you will never be able to see the full effect...If the soap is working alright for you, then it should be alright..it just worries me since you are having trouble if that could be too irritating. I also don't really care for the Cetaphil but it is for chronically dry skin..I have also heard CeraVe is amazing and that it works wonderfully to moisturize and gently cleanse. I'm so sorry you have some new ones..I know it is discouraging..but we're all here for you, just keep writing! :-)

Hmm... the thing is I've a very small face (I'm asian btw), so there's very little surface area hence 2 pumps is way too much for me. I think I'll increase the dosage a bit more today. :D

CeraVe? Really? I don't think they have it in stores in Singapore. But I'll check that out. Thanks for the recommendation. :dance:

Oo! Also, try incorporating a few supplements into your daily routine. Take 50mg of Zinc daily, some fish oil, and Vit E..Especially the Zinc..it helps with inflammation TONS!

I'm taking Vit E 400IU, Evening Primrose Oil 2000mg. I have thought of trying zinc, but after reading that it makes people feel like puking, I'm a bit hesitating. :boohoo:

7 Aug: Pop 2 pimples as they were so huge. One bleed a little. OMG! I had another new zit near my jawline. 2 small ones on my cheeks had heal. The rest still sort of "healing-in-progress". I've been applying some AHA as spot treatment as it makes me itches a lot. Any idea why? It doesn't itch when I apply to the entire face though.

I too have found that two full pumps might be a bit much for me as a woman..After using tons of jojoba I was finding I was still having tons of trouble with my skin being dry. Not excessively dry, but dry enough to flake :-( So I'm using one and a half pumps now for my entire face. Tonight I exfoliated with jojoba to get all the flakies off and then smothered on the jojoba after cleansing. After that, I applied the one and a half pumps of BP (which after it dried I found it wasn't nearly as drying) and then applied the AHA..yikes it stings! I think my skin is a bit exposed right now after buffing my skin. My skin feels wonderfully smooth and supple now though! The Zinc only makes you sick if you don't take it with food. I've been taking it for weeks with a meal and haven't felt sick once :-)

I too have found that two full pumps might be a bit much for me as a woman..After using tons of jojoba I was finding I was still having tons of trouble with my skin being dry. Not excessively dry, but dry enough to flake :-( So I'm using one and a half pumps now for my entire face. Tonight I exfoliated with jojoba to get all the flakies off and then smothered on the jojoba after cleansing. After that, I applied the one and a half pumps of BP (which after it dried I found it wasn't nearly as drying) and then applied the AHA..yikes it stings! I think my skin is a bit exposed right now after buffing my skin. My skin feels wonderfully smooth and supple now though! The Zinc only makes you sick if you don't take it with food. I've been taking it for weeks with a meal and haven't felt sick once :-)

I tried 1 pump before and I think my skin got "burn". :doh:

So I'm using around 1/2 to 3/4 pump now.

Jojoba oil hates me, it breaks me out like mad. Always. :wall:

And I'm not sure why but even 1/2 pump makes the left side of my face lobster red, but the right side of my face is all right. :whistle:

Is 50mg zinc too much? The most I've seen in my country is only 30mg per tablet. :think:

And any particular brand you would recommend that can be bought at drugstore.com?

Nature's Bounty Chelated Zinc 50 mg Gluconate

GNC Zinc 50mg, Chelated Tablets

I can only find those 2, which one would you recommend? Thanks so much for the help! :D

Noon 7 Aug: Updated some photos. Please BEWARE, don't get a shock please. :boohoo:

Photo 1: Right cheek, mostly scars that doesn't seems to disappear.

Photo 2: Left cheek, terrible acne, terrible scars, everything is horrible.

Photo 3: Forehead, 1 cynst, another dark scar, much of the acne had actually cleared, it used to be like my left cheek.

Your skin isn't bad at all!! And your acne isn't severe :-) It's mild to moderate, like me! I'm so sorry you have trouble with the BP..it can be very drying and it sounds like you have hypersensitive skin. It may take a little more time for you to use the full regimen since the amount of BP is key to the regimen...jojoba breaks you out? oh yuck. Jojoba is my secret weapon..Jojoba does but AHA doesn't? hm...I used the AHA last night as a moisturizer last night and, although it burned like hell, my skin is so much smoother and clearer this morning after using only the pump and a half. I use the nature's bounty Zinc in 50mg but the GNC would be great too..perhaps a little more expensive though. 50mg is the max dosage you can take for Zinc and I use the entire dosage because I want maximum results to reduce inflammation without reducing my copper, but I'm sure 30mg would be fine too :-) Especially since it seems like your body is very sensitive, perhaps using the lower dosage would be wise..hope your pimples clear up some today! Also, if you want encouragement, or just want to feel better about the fact other people have worse cases of acne than you..type in Celebration to the google search box on this site and look at a woman with the screename 'Celebration' gallery pictures for the Regimen. See how her severe acne even cleared up by following the regimen! Trust me, you DO NOT have severe acne :-)

Really? Everyone has been telling me how bad my skin is and asking me "Why is your acne so severe?", so naturally I assume my acne was serious. :whistle:

Okay, thanks. I will order the GNC one from drugstore.com soon. Will update regarding this after I started on the zinc.

Noon 9 Aug: Most of the cynst and zits on the forehead and near my brows have healed. There's still 2 on my left cheeks. I think their inflamed white heads or inflamed pores. I'm not sure either, but they are getting redder and not healing. :shifty: Lots of new scars of this breakout. :doh:

I'm still finding a good cleanser that's non drying to compliment the regimen, no luck so far. But I might try the Johnson Top to Toe Baby Wash (need to check if this is the original or generic ones from my local stores).

I use the Johnson's Top-to-Toe wash too! I think it's the same thing as the head to toe. At the moment I live in China so I pretty much bought my face wash at Carrefour. Luckily, I was in America for the summer so I ordered plenty of DK BP and bought my moisturizers in America, too. But anyways, top-to-toe is very gentle and I think it would be perfect for your sensitive skin.

Oh and, if you need some american stuff like CeraVe or Cetaphil or even AHA+ or anything like that. Just PM me and i can tell you where :)

I use the Johnson's Top-to-Toe wash too! I think it's the same thing as the head to toe. At the moment I live in China so I pretty much bought my face wash at Carrefour. Luckily, I was in America for the summer so I ordered plenty of DK BP and bought my moisturizers in America, too. But anyways, top-to-toe is very gentle and I think it would be perfect for your sensitive skin.

Oh and, if you need some american stuff like CeraVe or Cetaphil or even AHA+ or anything like that. Just PM me and i can tell you where :)

Oh, you have that? Can I check with you whether "Quaternium 15" is the second last ingredient from the list?

We have Cetaphil in our local stores and I think I saw CeraVe in one of the Watsons at Takashimaya, but need to double check. I may want to try CeraVe moisturising lotion too. :P I've snake skin now. :boohoo:

I had just purchased Johnson & Johnson Top to Toe Baby wash.

Ingredients are not the same as the one from drugstore.com.

Water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betain, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Night 9 Aug: Just tried it once tonight, quite gentle as well, had fragrance and foams better than the Cetaphil one. Will continue monitoring and review on it soon. Shall check out CeraVe moisturising lotion tomorrow. I'm flaking very badly and look like a snake.

Morning Aug 10: I'm left with lots of scars, and 1 zit beside my right brow and another "not so red" cynst beside my left brow. I tend to have zits there. :boohoo:

Photo 1: Right cheek, left with scars, still treating with AHA+ to fade them. No active zits there at the moment and I pray that it stays that way.

Photo 2: Left cheek, the zits have healed and left with scars too, extremely dry skin. I'm going to search for a new moisturiser today to fix the dryness.

Photo 3: Forehead, left with 2 scars, the cynst previously there had healed.

Photo 4: Right brow, 1 active zit + some scars.

Photo 5: Left brow, 1 cynst + lots of scars.

11 Aug (5th week): Have a few zits beside my brows, the usual place. And my skin tone is quite uneven now and flaking really badly. It makes the red marks so much more obvious. Anyway, I just got Cetaphil Moisturising cream and am using it on the dry areas of my face.

Red scars still there, some are not really fading, but I'll continue with the AHA+ for another 1 to 2 weeks (I had been using it for 3 weeks) and then maybe stop for a week before continuing. Wish me luck! :wub:

Product Update:

Johnson Head to Toe Wash

It's quite good, not as drying as the Cetaphil one and slightly more hydrating, cleanse rather well too. :clap:

I'm going to order CeraVe moisturising lotion and GNc chelated zinc 50mg from drugstore.com soon. Still in the process of waiting for a spree for them. LOL!

Isn't top-to-toe the best? its so gentle and everything! :)

if your having problems with flaking, i suggest you use the corn&oat exfoliating mousse. you can buy it at watsons. thats where i bought it atleast.

Good luck! :)

Thanks guys (and girls) :wub:

Yup, I think I love it now, it's so gentle, smells refreshing and its slightly hydrating as well. Love it that it's non drying and no irritation for me. :)

Night 11 Aug: Nothing much, but I've a cynst brewing on my left cheek again. I hope I'm just thinking too much and it'll be gone tomorrow. :pray::pray::pray:

Oh and I'm alternating Dan's AHA with Cetaphil moisturising cream at night. Using AHA daily might be too much for me with all the redness and stuff. Hope condition improves.

I've already ordered my CeraVe lotion and GNC 50mg Zinc tablets. So excited to try them out in a few weeks time. :D